$2000 Setup. Help me complete it!
Aug 19, 2012 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dimsumlee

New Head-Fier
[size=12.5px]Just got a sweet new computer and I'd like to do some music production. I've decided upon Senn HD600s for cans, KRK Rokit 6's/8's (or maybe even VXT 4's) for monitors, and Ableton. Now I just need help selecting an interface.[/size][size=12.5px][/size]
[size=12.5px][/size]
[size=12.5px]My main concern is losing sound quality/fidelity using an audio interface with a built-in DAC as opposed to a dedicated/boutique DAC (was looking at something in the $500 range like an AudioGD NFB-10, Nuforce Icon HDP, or maybe just a Schiit Bifrost). [/size][size=12.5px][/size]
[size=12.5px][/size]
[size=12.5px]I want the audiophile playback of a dedicated DAC in an interface. Any recommendations? Or are there any suggestions for an standalone interface/controller I could just add to a dedicated DAC for D/A? [/size][size=12.5px][/size]
[size=12.5px][/size]
[size=12.5px]I need to put in an order soon as I'm currently living in Korea and have a friend coming over from the States soon.[/size][size=12.5px][/size]
[size=12.5px][/size]
[size=12.5px]Any input would be great! Thanks[/size]

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #2 of 5
The bifrost is a wonderful dac. Given it's price to performance ratio, it punches way above it's weight class. Very well built, beautifully renders music. Good company standing behind it also.

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
The bifrost is a wonderful dac. Given it's price to performance ratio, it punches way above it's weight class. Very well built, beautifully renders music. Good company standing behind it also.

Yeah, it looks super sleek and cool.

If I go with that, are you familiar with any standalone recording interfaces that I could add to my chain?

Computer --> Bifrost --> Interface (???) --> Monitors

Or would it be redundant as most quality interfaces already have a DAC inside? I'm concerned with the quality difference between a dedicated DAC and one included in an audio interface (like the Apogee Duet, for example).

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 5
There's nothing wrong with the pro-audio interfaces. If all you're looking for is D/A, then a boutique dac is fine. If you need something with A/D and other controller functions, then stick with the pro devices and have fewer components in the chain. I myself have had good experience with Focusrite equipment. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with the pro-audio interfaces. If all you're looking for is D/A, then a boutique dac is fine. If you need something with A/D and other controller functions, then stick with the pro devices and have fewer components in the chain. I myself have had good experience with Focusrite equipment. 

Thanks for the reply :) 

I posted a similar thread on gearslutz and it looks like I'll be going with an RME Babyface! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back