2 Questions. 1 Thread.
Dec 17, 2010 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zzephyr27

Head-Fier
I want to get my girlfriend some nice headphones for Christmas, but need some help choosing.
Price: ~$200
She loves the sound of my Denon AH-D2000's, but they leak way too much sound for her. She wants them to leak as little sound as possible. So closed for sure.
Sound signature should be modern - bass has gotta be there. I was thinking of something from Beyerdynamics (770 Pro-80? 770 32ohms?) maybe? I'm not very familiar with the models, or how much sound they would leak.

I love my AH-D2000's, and I don't even have an amp. I've read some people say that these really need an amp to be great, so I'm scared about how much better they can sound. There's so many amps out there, I don't know what to look for.
My price range is flexible, but nothing crazy. It really depends how much I can get for my money. Fiio E7 for ~$100? iBasso something for ~$200? Is there something way better for $300? I don't wanna cheap out and not get anything good, but I don't wanna just throw money at them for something barely better.

Thanks.

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 7
Does your girlfriend take those headphones out? If she does the 770s may not be such a good choice as they are bulky.

And an amplifier can improve the sound, but it shouldn't change it. Think of cans that are not powered properly as doors that are half open. Not everything comes in right? Amplifying it makes them fully open, so the headphones 'open up' :D (lousy analogy, i know)

The Denons will improve with amping, but not as much as you may think. You don't need an expensive amp, you need one that will pair well with them.

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Does your girlfriend take those headphones out? If she does the 770s may not be such a good choice as they are bulky.

And an amplifier can improve the sound, but it shouldn't change it. Think of cans that are not powered properly as doors that are half open. Not everything comes in right? Amplifying it makes them fully open, so the headphones 'open up' :D (lousy analogy, i know)

The Denons will improve with amping, but not as much as you may think. You don't need an expensive amp, you need one that will pair well with them.

I think she will be using these at home. Which of the 770's is the best choice unamplified? How would the sound compare to my Denon's?
And about the amp for me, I enjoyed the analogy haha. How do I know what amp will pair well with them? What will open the door lol
and yeah I'd imagine tube amps can change sound but those are going to be out of my range anyway.

Quote:
kitkat12012 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

i bought my girl a pair of white ath-es7s and she loves them

Looks really nice. How do they sound? Do they leak noise? That's really important to her. But the best sound is important to me, haha

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 7
Any more help? It seems the ES7's aren't even around anymore, if I were to choose those. I really want to get these for her in time for Christmas..

as for my amp, I was looking at the iBasso D4 Mamba..would that be a good choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back