2.0 Speakers Compilation: Best for <$500
Dec 10, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #573 of 647
I feel like the elacs might be the champion of this price range now they are finally out and reviewed, I know I will be getting a pair at Christmas.

There is a lot of heavy hype about the Elacs right now. Based on what I have read, seems like they are right in there with the Wharfedale Diamonds, EMP Teks, Chane, HSU, and Ascend Acoustics offerings in this price range. Which you would like best would probably depend on personal listening preferences and room influence.

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #575 of 647
Wharfdale Diamond 220 for me

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #576 of 647
I'm thinking I'm going to go with the Polk Hampden's in the end.  A bit more convenient for me with their size, a great $200 price, and - I know it shouldn't be much of a factor - but it gets bonus points for its look as well.

Is there a glaring reason why I shouldn't have my heart set on this pair of speakers?

Thanks for all of your help!

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #577 of 647
  Hey guys!

Long time lurker and I'm finally back in the market to purchase a new 2.0 speaker system.  I'm not a bass freak and have neighbors downstairs, so I'm leaning towards avoiding a subwoofer all together.

I work at home mostly and looking for a pair of speakers around the $200 - $250 price range to sit on my desk as I work through the day and I can't decide what to get!

At first I thought I was going for the Audiomachine A2+, but I've found some negative reviews lately stating that the sound quality isn't up to par with the price.

I would consider monitors, but I'd prefer a smaller set if possible.  However, if they are the best bang for the buck I'm on board!

I've seen some deals like the HiVi M10 for $90, but I'm willing to pay more of a premium if it means I'm getting a big increase in quality.

Thanks for any help in advance!

EDIT:  Also came across this deal on amazon for a pair of JBL 305s bundled with cables for $250.  Is this the way to go?

For that price, definitely go for the JBL 305s.  They are very good speakers in that class and especially for that price.  The imaging on these speakers is very good and they put out an impressive amount of bass (with good quality too) for such relatively small speakers.

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #578 of 647
My favorite speakers at the $500 mark would be the B&W 686 s2. 

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #579 of 647
I've been lurking here on Head-Fi for quite awhile now and haven't made any posts because when it comes to headphones I've been in learning mode. But speakers are something I'm very familiar with so I'll offer my thoughts.

One of the best speakers under $500 is the Pioneer SP-BS22 and at $129 it's way under $500! The Pioneer is NOT a powered speaker but you could buy a pretty decent amp with the money you save.

Another good choice is the Thonet & Vander HOCH2 powered speaker. I haven't heard these for myself but have read many, many good reviews about them. Like the Pioneers these are true "budget" speakers selling for only $129, sometimes less.

IMO, truly good self powered speakers are few and far between. I would (and did) go the separate desktop amp route. Even one of the under $100 Topping amps are far better than what you find built into a powered speaker.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #580 of 647
  IMO, truly good self powered speakers are few and far between. I would (and did) go the separate desktop amp route. Even one of the under $100 Topping amps are far better than what you find built into a powered speaker.

Think so?
I'm looking for some 2.0 setup for under $300. What will sould better, JBL 305 suggested above or say Audooengine A5, or some cheap amp and passive speakers?

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #581 of 647
Think so?
I'm looking for some 2.0 setup for under $300. What will sould better, JBL 305 suggested above or say Audooengine A5, or some cheap amp and passive speakers?

Decent Passive > A5+ > JBL

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #583 of 647
Expensive passive > Emotiva Airmotiv 5/6S > JBL LSR305  > Audioengine A5+

For HiFi, the rule of thumb is to always go for passive. Active monitors are a different story

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #584 of 647
For HiFi, the rule of thumb is to always go for passive. Active monitors are a different story

I'm in search for good speakers/amp in 200-300 range. Can anyone advise some good brand to look at?
I also think of replacing my DAC/headphone amp with something all-in-one, like: Sony UDA-1, Teac 301/501, NAD 3020/7050, etc.. mean anything with amp, so I can connect speakers there. Do you think this is a way to go, or better grab a dedicated amp?
I'm not going to set a high-end system, but want something good instead.

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #585 of 647

I'm in search for good speakers/amp in 200-300 range. Can anyone advise some good brand to look at?
I also think of replacing my DAC/headphone amp with something all-in-one, like: Sony UDA-1, Teac 301/501, NAD 3020/7050, etc.. mean anything with amp, so I can connect speakers there. Do you think this is a way to go, or better grab a dedicated amp?
I'm not going to set a high-end system, but want something good instead.

200-300 including speakers as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back