1964 Ears
Jul 12, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #4,021 of 7,417
Quote:
Anyone with the V3's thinking of getting a 3rd party cable, definitely do it. Night & day compared to using the stock cable, which I kinda expected to an extent, but probably didn't expect the difference (better imaging/definition/clarity) to be as noticeable as it is.

Between the stock cable and 2 aftermarket cables I've got, the differences I've noticed are almost entirely in the ergonomics and comfort of the cables themselves.

My Beat Audio Sapphire Pro has been my favourite, but my Headphone lounge cable seems a little more sturdy. I noticed a sonic difference more recently when switching back and forth between them, but I don't think it was related to the conductivity of the copper and silver so much as it was the memory wire causing mild displacement of my IEM's.
With shaped overmolding I've noticed my CIEM's taking less (albeit mild) resistance to find a comfortable place to sit in my ear, and not move. With the memory wire (which I detest now) I've noticed it keeps the nozzle from reaching its intended depth without me working to find the perfect spot for it to sit.
It may be possible that this is something you're experiencing as well.

Also, how are you liking your V3's?

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #4,022 of 7,417
I bought a HPL cable as well.

Re: difference in sound = 'seating', possible. However, my V3's fit very close to perfectly. Once I fiddle slightly when I'm putting them in, I don't need to adjust them, they stay put even when walking around/the sound doesn't change which would indicate a change in fit/position. I get the same fit with the 1964 stock cable and with the HPL cable. What I notice with the HPL cable is they sound more 'airy' & definition improves. Slightly ? Yes. But definitely enough to be noticeable, at least to my ears.

I was sceptical of this before I bought another cable & expecting any differences to be so slight as to not be noticeable, but I've spent this week switching back & forth b/w the two cables (listen to an album in one sitting with one cable, listen to the same album again with the other cable immediately after), and to my ears, there is a difference.

Loving the V3's :wink: Really happy with the product itself & the sound sig, thanks to the people here with their various descriptions of the sound sig & comparisons with other IEM's. It's pretty much as I imagined it based on the 'research' I'd done here beforehand.

Between the stock cable and 2 aftermarket cables I've got, the differences I've noticed are almost entirely in the ergonomics and comfort of the cables themselves.

My Beat Audio Sapphire Pro has been my favourite, but my Headphone lounge cable seems a little more sturdy. I noticed a sonic difference more recently when switching back and forth between them, but I don't think it was related to the conductivity of the copper and silver so much as it was the memory wire causing mild displacement of my IEM's.
With shaped overmolding I've noticed my CIEM's taking less (albeit mild) resistance to find a comfortable place to sit in my ear, and not move. With the memory wire (which I detest now) I've noticed it keeps the nozzle from reaching its intended depth without me working to find the perfect spot for it to sit.
It may be possible that this is something you're experiencing as well.

Also, how are you liking your V3's?

Jul 13, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #4,023 of 7,417
You'd never guess this was universal when it's naked =D
well maybe you could, but it'll take a minute to register.. 

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #4,024 of 7,417
Been lurking and researching for a while now trying to determine if the 1964 (or any custom for that matter) is the right move. After stepping and breaking my 535s I have finally decided to pull the trigger on the Quads. I have been really on the fence between either the V6 or Quads (Jeff thanks for your response.) In the end I was really looking for the detail (albeit more neutral) sound of my 535s with more low-end kick. Since I will be primarily driving these with an iPhone5 and a MacBook and playing some lower quality content, I am hoping the Quads will be a little more forgiving but still provide the detail on my lossless recordings.

I will be shipping off my impressions tomorrow and have paid for the rush shipping so hopefully I will be testing my assumption in a week or two. 

Thanks to everyone who commented on this thread, as you have provided me some very valuable education. 

Jim 

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #4,028 of 7,417
Quote:
Just got my Quads last friday.

What was the wait time like?  I just paid for my V6's yesterday.  And they got the impressions, on Monday, and I shipped them USPS Priority on Friday.  From Baltimore.  I'm still floored that a package I dropped off on Friday at 5pm made it from Baltimore to Portland over the weekend to be delivered on Monday.

Anyway, the wait begins...

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #4,029 of 7,417
I did the exact same thing as you, just one week earlier. Sent the impressions on the 19th and they shipped them today. I just got an email that they were coming priority tomorrow. I am picking my music tracks now, any lossless suggestions?

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #4,030 of 7,417
Quote name="chezhed" url="/t/519457/1964-ears-the-appreciation-thread/4020#post_9662508"]I did the exact same thing as you, just one week earlier. Sent the impressions on the 19th and they shipped them today. I just got an email that they were coming priority tomorrow. I am picking my music tracks now, any lossless suggestions?
[/quote]

Fall out boy - Phoenix album shines with the V6.
Besides that Goo Goo Dolls (music with acoustics) or Mariah Carey/Norah Jones/Celine Dion (vocal types)

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #4,033 of 7,417
Quote:
I did the exact same thing as you, just one week earlier. Sent the impressions on the 19th and they shipped them today. I just got an email that they were coming priority tomorrow. I am picking my music tracks now, any lossless suggestions?

I'm actually stealing this suggestion from project86 I think.
I don't have a V6 myself, but I've got some go to stuff for testing new gear.

Getz/Gilberto.
The Girl from Ipanema is excellent but the whole album is fantastic.
Roger Waters - Pro's and Con's of Hitchhiking is brilliant. Clear your schedule, turn off all the lights and sit back.
VNV Nation (pretty much anything) if you're into Electronic and/or want to test the low-end rendering.
Moby - Play and Hotel as well.

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #4,035 of 7,417
What was the wait time like?  I just paid for my V6's yesterday.  And they got the impressions, on Monday, and I shipped them USPS Priority on Friday.  From Baltimore.  I'm still floored that a package I dropped off on Friday at 5pm made it from Baltimore to Portland over the weekend to be delivered on Monday.

Anyway, the wait begins...
I live in singapore ( if you do not know where that is , it is in south east asia ) so the time for the delivery of my impressions there was about ten days. I waited 3 weeks from the time I paid to the time I received it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back