1964 Ears
May 26, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #3,857 of 7,417
May just jump in on the sale.

The v6 looks tempting but the Quads may be slightly more to my tastes as they seem to have a nice deep low end (from what I have read).

Any comments on the two, from those that have heard both?

May 27, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #3,858 of 7,417
[size=9.5pt]A summary of my journey into custom IEM's and experience with 1964Ears.[/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]My previous earphones have been etymotic ER6i (anemic, boring, but accurate), the Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 (good bass, but recessed mids, and either piercing treble with silicone tips or muffled treble with foam comply tips), and UE900 (slightly less bass than the TF10's, good mids, slightly rolled off treble). Among these, my favorite was the UE900, but for the same price I figured I could get a better fit with the V3's. That remained my goal, to spend as little as possible to get the most sound. Of course if I just wanted to be done with it all I would have gone for the JH13 with freqphase but clearly I can't afford that right now.[/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]Let's be honest, you can't go wrong with any of 1964 Ear's products as they all sound great for the price (especially with the Memorial Day sale). I've only heard the V3 but it's clearly better than any of UE's universal's products. The bass is pretty strong (I think the quads would be too much for me), the mids are nice and present, and the treble is sharp without being sibilant. You can read joker's multi-iem thread for an extremely accurate picture of what to expect. If I were to compare these to a full-size headphone, I would say the V3 and Sennheiser Momentum sound remarkably similar, although the Momentum has a larger soundstage as it is around-ear instead of in-ear.[/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]Your first question might be, should I get custom IEM's? To give a little perspective, I am a student, I do not play in any bands, and my main use for these would be to listen either at home or to avoid excessive noise on airplanes or NYC's subways/buses. I have never liked silicone tips as they always slip out of my ear. Foam Comply tips are comfy enough, but take some time to insert as you have to roll it in your fingertips then wait for it to re-expand after insertion into your ear. Plus they occasionally fall out of my ear after extended use and generally require replacement every couple of months. I heard that acrylic conforms precisely to the contours of your ears and is comfortable for hours without moving around.[/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]To get the earphones you need to first book an appointment with an audiologist used to making molds for custom IEM's. In Manhattan the going rate seems to range from $50 (Dr. Servedio) to $75 (Dr. Glick). I went in, got my impressions taken, sent them off to 1964 Ears, and received my V3's back in 3 weeks with standard processing and express shipping. At first, I had to look up videos on how to insert them. Once inserted, I noticed how much my auditory canal changed shape with head movement and jaw movement. If I leaned forward the canal constricted around the IEM and the seal and bass improved. If I protruded my lower jaw the seal improved. If I tilted my head to the left I started losing seal in the left ear. If I tilted my ear to the right I start losing seal in the right ear. If I tilted my head back 15 degrees I started losing seal. This extreme variability with movement, and the slight improvement of seal when I pushed in on the earpieces, meant I needed a refit. Based on my fit issues Vitaliy recommended I get a whole new set of impressions instead of slightly modifying my current earpieces. My audiologist graciously re-did the impressions for free, and I received the refits 2 weeks later.[/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]When I put these into my ears I immediately noticed a sharp pain in my auditory canals likely due to the tighter fit, but the seal and bass were spot on. The seal now holds even if I tilt my head back at a 45 degree angle which is convenient when I’m reclining on an airplane seat. I will definitely monitor for any continuing pain, but already it is much less painful to insert than initially.[/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]Truthfully, you will get excellent customer service from 1964 Ears. They are responsive on the phone, email, and willing to go the distance for you. My refits were built from the ground-up, after Vitaliy apologized for a problem that was probably not theirs in the first place. In fact, the problem with my first set was how much my ear canals change in shape with various movements. [/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]For a tight seal, I would recommend using a bite block and tilting your head back 25 degrees instead of looking straight ahead. This way the canal will be maximally expanded when the impression is curing, resulting in a large impression.[/size]
[size=9.5pt] [/size]
[size=9.5pt]In summary, it is a hassle to go to an audiologist, ship your impressions, wait a month (possibly longer if refits are needed), and another week for your ears to adjust to the feeling of hard acrylic. On the other hand, you do get the best sound for your money, with a company which stands behind its products and workmanship[/size]

May 27, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #3,860 of 7,417
ummm guys, how can I order the universal demo from 1964 ears (I'm interested on the V6, Q and V3), I'm from Indonesia and did it cost anything when I want to try out the universal demo, thanks

May 27, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #3,862 of 7,417
which e-mail should I contact and what do you mean by refundable deposit?

May 28, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #3,864 of 7,417
Quote:
which e-mail should I contact and what do you mean by refundable deposit?

Probably info@1964ears.com or you can just call them. Their number is on their website.

The refundable deposit is a percentage of the cost of whichever IEM you want to demo. You will have to pay them this sum of money before receiving the demo units. This is mostly to ensure 1964Ears is covered should you decide to run off with them or damage them accidentally.

It is refundable because once you are finished with the demo units and send them back, they will refund you your money/deposit in full.

It's best to ask 1964Ears these questions. I'm sure they are more than willing to help.

May 28, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #3,865 of 7,417
Do you happen to know what the deposit is? Off the top of your head. :)

May 28, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #3,866 of 7,417
They ought to start selling universal models...I know people would buy them like the stuff from Heir Audio.

May 28, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #3,869 of 7,417
Quote:

I actually emailed with 1964 ears a little while back and the pricing for the loaner program is as follows:

V6- $400
Q- $300
V3- $200
D- $150

The V3 for $200 sounds like a good deal...actually, they are all potentially excellent values.

May 28, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #3,870 of 7,417
Quote:
Quote:

I actually emailed with 1964 ears a little while back and the pricing for the loaner program is as follows:

V6- $400
Q- $300
V3- $200
D- $150

The V3 for $200 sounds like a good deal...actually, they are all potentially excellent values.

That's to borrow their demo units! Although it makes you wonder... can you just buy their demo units for $200? $200 for a triple driver universal is actually a pretty good deal. lol. I'm sure you borrowing their IEM's and running off with them would land you on their blacklist though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back