1964 Ears
Mar 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #3,061 of 7,417

Quote:
What I gather is that the 6 driver IEM is going to be leaned towards the audiophile and for more of a recreational usage if that makes any sense.

That makes perfect sense.
Having a 6 driver aimed towards being a performance monitor would be pointless since the Quads are shaped around that exact purpose.

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #3,062 of 7,417
I finally amped the Quads (w/ the silver cable).. whoa.  As I stated earlier, they sound wonderful unamped.. but amping them reminded me just how well they scale with better sources & power.  With the Arrow in chain, I'm hearing is the midbass fq boost tamed even further.. it already sounded tighter and better controlled with the silver cable.. but the Arrow made the bass, as a whole, sounds immaculately sculpted.  Bass has a really nice punch but not quite as dominant when unamped.  I've never heard the bass reach this deep with such finesse and delicacy.

Unamped from my iPhone, the mids & treble sound much more crisp & airy with the silver cable.  With the Arrow, I'm getting a touch of that signature smoothness back.. but it's the cleanest 'smooth sound' I've heard from the Quads.. ever.  A perfect blend of what the silver cable brings to the table, but smoothed over for a more laid back feel.  What I'm hearing is the sound of the Quads with the stock cable.. on steroids.  Cleaner, tighter, refined, more dynamic, but with a degree of smoothness I did not hear from the unamped Quads w/ the silver cable.  These phones are back to sounding incredibly non-fatiguing.. but more precise than ever.  Amping the Quads w/ the stock cable sounds slightly cloudy & congested in comparison.

The soundstage?  Ungodly.  Where the Miracle's soundstage feels like it has more air and sheer volume (like a concert hall), the (amped) Quads' (with a silver cable) soundstage is, relatively, more intimate but extends seemingly 360 degrees.  It's more enveloping than I could ever imagine.

Listening to Amon Tobin's latest opus, ISAM, tonight (which 1964Ears should sell with the Quads, IMO.. holy crap).. I had a moment where I just went weak & had chills run up and down my spine.  It's one of those moments where you stop thinking about microdetails, balance, timbre, extension and all that other jargon we throw around here.. and just submit to the music.. I loved it.  It felt like I was hearing ever note & nuance with such authority and precision, just like that crazy Brazilian intended.

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #3,063 of 7,417

Quote:
I actually asked them about the 6 driver IEM. They told me it wouldn't be out anytime soon as they are still perfecting it and are waiting on a supplier. Also, they told me that if I were to get the quads, there wouldn't be an upgrade option as they are going for different sounds. What I gather is that the 6 driver IEM is going to be leaned towards the audiophile and for more of a recreational usage if that makes any sense. Either way you could ask them and maybe they'll have a different answer, but overall you could just get the quad and then another one from them haha.

Hmm that's not good news. Before I ordered my Quads, there was already a talk about the 6 driver iem and when I asked them if I could upgrade, they said yes. I guess they changed their mind about the components and now thinking that adding drivers to the Quads are practically not feasible. Hmm... Well, if that's the case, I might have to take the UM route since I don't have to lose money in the process as I upgrade. Otherwise I need to sell the Quads for a whole lot less money than what I bought them for. But again, people say more drivers doesn't always mean better sound. But I'm wondering why do they exist then? Just a different flavor? I doubt it. So far, I think UM is the only company that adds drivers to other customs. It's too bad, I did really like the sound characteristics of the 1964 Ears. Has anyone here done this same thing I am talking about? That is, ordering from UM and adding more drivers to their 1964 Q or Ts ? If so, pleased with the sound or not worth the hassle? 

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #3,065 of 7,417

Quote:
I'm so waiting for the 6-driver!

...which I take it will be named the 1964-S, in long form the 1964 Sextuple Driver, and finally referred to as the 1964 Sex on this forum? 

biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #3,066 of 7,417
I can report that my quads passed the chewing gum test! With the quads inserted in my ears I chewed gum for 5 minutes to see if the seal would break and it didn't. I must say, I'm really happy with the soft tips, as reported, once the silicone tips warm up they creat an air tight seal. Isolation is less than my Etymotics. I retract the previous statement. While preparing for this weekend's gig I tested the 2 back to back. Sorry.

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #3,068 of 7,417
Whats the snag? Don't abandon your dreams man, go for them!

Quote:
Another snag on the remold.
Almost considering abandoning the process now.

Guess it's just one of those things.

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #3,070 of 7,417
Damn, that's unfortunate. I would suggest going to a different audiologist, one that does impressions for major hearing aid companies and stuff. Also, dont be afraid to ask them to take another impression if you don't think the ones they make at the appointment are deep enough. You shouldn't have to pay for something that isnt done right

Quote:
Apparently my last full-ear impression wasn't full ear enough.

I guess I'll see if I can give it another shot, but I think after that I'll move on.

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #3,071 of 7,417

Quote:
Damn, that's unfortunate. I would suggest going to a different audiologist, one that does impressions for major hearing aid companies and stuff. Also, dont be afraid to ask them to take another impression if you don't think the ones they make at the appointment are deep enough. You shouldn't have to pay for something that isnt done right

She's done every subsequent impression gratis, which is nice considering it was only a $25 charge.
She does impressions for Tunz IEM's and is completely baffled as to how the 1964 crew is having problems with my particular set.

After having seen a video of Ultimate Ears impressions being done I guess I can see where Anastasia is telling me I need more material, but I'm not quite sure it'll make much of a difference with my ear.
But that's why I want to do ONE more, then I'll move on to a dual driver from UE or something.

Mar 25, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #3,072 of 7,417

Quote:
She's done every subsequent impression gratis, which is nice considering it was only a $25 charge.
She does impressions for Tunz IEM's and is completely baffled as to how the 1964 crew is having problems with my particular set.

After having seen a video of Ultimate Ears impressions being done I guess I can see where Anastasia is telling me I need more material, but I'm not quite sure it'll make much of a difference with my ear.
But that's why I want to do ONE more, then I'll move on to a dual driver from UE or something.

Not sure if this helps, but on their website they have a form for the audiologist. Directions and such but either way if she hasn't seen it, it could help. Also, on youtube 1964 ears did a video on the impression process so maybe she could take a look and possibly notice something that she may be missing out on? I hope the best for you, as IEMs seems like a great sounding place to be :)

Mar 25, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #3,073 of 7,417
Does anyone here have experience with both the 1964 duals and custom tf10's? I'm interested to see how they compare.

Cheers

Edit: Or maybe just the stock tf10 because they sounds the same as the customs.

Mar 25, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #3,074 of 7,417
I've only had the experience of comparing a 1964 Quad with a pair of custom TF10's remolded by Unique Melody. The case was that I own the quads, and was able to get a good seal on my friend's remolded TF10's (such coincidence indeed).

In terms of bass, the TF10's had a much more present but some sort of boomy-soft bass, the quads were much tighter and hit harder, but it just hit and disappeared in a way (I'm not sure, but i believe people would say the quads had a faster attack-decay?). I'd prefer the bass on quads though, they felt more reasonable in contrast to the very present ones in the TF10.

On overall, i could feel the quads gave a more detailed environment in everyway, but the TF10's sort of gave a more fun feeling to it since the bass was kind of "filling" and the trebles gave more "sparkle", but those little nuances and "microdetails - as i've seen a few people call it" would be the quads.

Not sure how much of that you could relate to the Duals though.

Quote:
Does anyone here have experience with both the 1964 duals and custom tf10's? I'm interested to see how they compare.

Cheers

Edit: Or maybe just the stock tf10 because they sounds the same as the customs.

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #3,075 of 7,417
You might want to consider a different audiologist, you can remove one variable from the equation. Mine fit perfectly the first time around. I can't imagine that Ears 1964 is that incompetent. They've made well over 2000 of these. Maybe my ears were easy to impression. Anyway best of luck and I can see why you're ready to throw in the towel.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back