1964 Ears
Sep 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #2,836 of 7,417
mids are definitely not recessed.  i love mids.  they're not as forward as shure se535s, but more forward than a neutral iem like the westone 4.

the quads are definitely more bang for your buck than the es5... they cost almost 300 less than the ES3X even if you factor in the  soft canal fee (upcharge for 1964, standard on westone).

the quads are $125 more than the Jh5, a two-way, two driver model. how does that sound to you in terms of bang for the buck?

by nature, neither will have a gigantic soundstage as they're both meant as stage monitors.  two reasons:

so 1) both the es5 and quads are purposed as stage monitors, so there will not be pronounced treble as part of their sound signature, as they require forward mids and bumped bass to save the musician's hearing when used at high volumes onstage,

and 2) monitors generally sound intimate for more perceived detail, and to allow a musician to track any and all instruments in the band/mix. i'm a musician, so i prefer being on stage with the musicians rather than a few rows back in a concert hall.  personal preference!

that said, a crucial factor that makes a good stage monitor is instrumental separation - and this is found as a strength of all good stage monitors, ES5, Quads, JH5, UM3X.

the es5 will have better imaging, separation and apparently mids, going by people's impressions.  but of course, it's almost $400 more!

here's a related post i found on the soundstage of the es5:

Originally Posted by b0ck3n 

What you call soundstage is immediately affected by frequency response. The distance between instruments, the size of the accoustic "room" etc, is a product of the recording. What's likely making the IERM portray a larger soundstage is the bumped response in upper treble over the ES5 - high frequences hold the cues by which we interpret distance.

In other words - you can't have the ES5 with the "soundstage" of the IERM.

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #2,837 of 7,417

Quote:
Has anyone found a cable that suits the 1964's that gives iPhone control/mic?

I can confirm that the UE Triple Fi 10vi cable works if you trim the shroud away, and bend the pins a little - seems like the pins are just a little smaller than the standard westone/JH pins and the contact cannot be made if you're just putting them into the sockets.

Sep 29, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #2,838 of 7,417

Quote:
How do these quads sound? are the mids recessed at all? how deep and wide is the soundstage? I'm deciding between these and the Westone ES5. Yeah I know they're completely different in terms of price, but i'm looking for the best bang for my buck.

I have not heard the ES5 and when it comes to customs, you're going to find very few people who own different customs from different companies so comparisons are hard to come by but as an owner of 1964 Quads, I can attest to their sound quality. Like I said before, they are the first headphones that put a smile on my face the first time I put them in. Bass is not overwhelming or bloated and the miss are there without screaming at you like some shure iems. And the treble is just perfect enough to satisfy a treble-head like me. So even considering the price and the company itself, I'd definitely recommend 1964 Ears 

Sep 29, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #2,839 of 7,417
Quote:
How do these quads sound? are the mids recessed at all? how deep and wide is the soundstage? I'm deciding between these and the Westone ES5. Yeah I know they're completely different in terms of price, but i'm looking for the best bang for my buck.

I have not heard the ES5 and when it comes to customs, you're going to find very few people who own different customs from different companies so comparisons are hard to come by but as an owner of 1964 Quads, I can attest to their sound quality. Like I said before, they are the first headphones that put a smile on my face the first time I put them in. Bass is not overwhelming or bloated and the miss are there without screaming at you like some shure iems. And the treble is just perfect enough to satisfy a treble-head like me. So even considering the price and the company itself, I'd definitely recommend 1964 Ears

x2

Sep 29, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #2,840 of 7,417
By "miss" I meant "mids" but I am pretty sure you can think of a miss who at one point screamed at  you :) 

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #2,842 of 7,417
Thanks a lot creamsoda and Yuceka for all the info. Sounds like whichever I choose I will be happy, because both have what i'm looking for. Also both seem to do the same thing, the ES5 seems to do it better (from what ppl say). Now is it $400+ better? Only someone with both would know, but I know curiosity will eventually make me buy the ES5. Westone it is.... for now. I'm gonna wait til after CanJam to see if anything better will come out in the near future.

Just wanted to say thanks again!
etysmile.gif

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #2,843 of 7,417
Thanks a lot creamsoda and Yuceka for all the info. Sounds like whichever I choose I will be happy, because both have what i'm looking for. Also both seem to do the same thing, the ES5 seems to do it better (from what ppl say). Now is it $400+ better? Only someone with both would know, but I know curiosity will eventually make me buy the ES5. Westone it is.... for now. I'm gonna wait til after CanJam to see if anything better will come out in the near future.

Just wanted to say thanks again!
etysmile.gif

Just think krod, the extra $400 you could spend on an amp/s

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #2,844 of 7,417
btw, jermng is the only person i know of who has both the es5 and quad (as well as the triple).  perhaps he can shed some light on your situation... in one of his posts he did say the ES5 had a totally different sonic character, a more balanced sound sig, and nicer mids.  if that's worth $400 to you then by all means, it's your choice!

if you're one of those "grass is greener on the other side" guys, then you pretty much have to go for a top-end custom though, just so you will cure your upgraditis!

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #2,845 of 7,417
Listening to Vinnie Colaiuta with the Quads right now. I literally had to stop studying and because the music was interfering with my brain, telling it to stop reading and enjoy the audio ecstasy. I don't remember enjoying Vinnie this much with any other cans (maybe HifiMans orthos). 

Sep 30, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #2,846 of 7,417

Quote:
Just think krod, the extra $400 you could spend on an amp/s

Already have the SR-71b, how much better could it get for portability
biggrin.gif

Quote:
btw, jermng is the only person i know of who has both the es5 and quad (as well as the triple).  perhaps he can shed some light on your situation... in one of his posts he did say the ES5 had a totally different sonic character, a more balanced sound sig, and nicer mids.  if that's worth $400 to you then by all means, it's your choice!

if you're one of those "grass is greener on the other side" guys, then you pretty much have to go for a top-end custom though, just so you will cure your upgraditis!

I will PM him to get his take on both. Curse my upgraditis! Its been tough on my wallet lol.

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #2,847 of 7,417
Wanted to know your opinion on the triple vs quads..

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #2,848 of 7,417

Quote:
Is it just me, or does anyone else have it where, a song comes on and, you find yourself with a big smirk on your face like you've just had a small lotto win?
biggrin.gif

Haha. That just happened no more than a moment ago for me. Now and then I hit a really excellent recording and I feel like I've never really heard the song before at all. All the details are revealed.

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #2,849 of 7,417

Quote:
tried eqing up the mids, some more treble at around 13 khz, and the bass down a bit.  sounds stupid nice!

Totally agree. I've fully dialed in two EQ presets for the quads now using PowerAmp (this is not a screenshot of my EQ preset sadly). The Quads are totally off the hook if you use EQ with them. You can really dial in the sound exactly how you want. Even the slightest movements are audible with the quads. Love it.

Highly recommend PowerAmp if you are using Android for playback. The sound and EQ is seriously wicked. You can also set your presets to automatically swap based on the Genre, Artist, Album or individual track. Really helpful.

Interestingly enough. I find the DSP effects (Added in Android Gingerbread 2.3) for spatial virtualization, reverb and bass boost are basically a waste on high end phones like the quads. They worked very well for my lower end QC15s but just muddy the waters on the quads. I'm guessing this is because the sound is so detailed that your ear isn't fooled by the tricks the effects are trying to play, they just sound not quite right. Seems like your best bet is to stick with a good 10 band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back