1964 Ears
Sep 19, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #2,791 of 7,417
this is exactly what's been happening to my right ear, lol, thanks for letting me know.  as for sanding it down, i'm not too sure - but if they added it after, i'm pretty sure it wouldn't affect the structural integrity.  have you tried emailing them for advice first as to make sure it won't void your warranty?

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #2,792 of 7,417
Hi, I think I'm about to order the Quads and I had a couple questions about the optional add ons;

1) are soft canals worth it? what difference do they make in terms of sound/fit

2) what are ambient ports? what difference dot hey make

3) ditto with recessed sockets

these are my entry into customs obviously so I appreciate the help!

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #2,793 of 7,417

Quote:
Is it possible to "sand" down the acrylic a bit so they fit how I want?  Take them to a local audiologist?  I really don't wanna send these things back in again.  With the added cost of shipping for these things I could have gone with the quads, which I didn't want to spend that much in the beginning.  Any ideas would be great.  Thanks

In the past, some custom IEM companies have suggested this as an alternative to sending them back for a refit. It would obviously depend on the audiologist since not all of them have the proper tools right there in the office to make the necessary adjustments. It also depends on your relationship with them and how much they will charge.

Theoretically though, with a well equipped audiologist who is willing to help, it could be the way to go. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #2,794 of 7,417
Soft canals are soft and heat activated, which is supposed to help with comfort. I regret getting it, as it creates a bit of vacuum.
The ambient ports reduce the bass to a level which makes music almost bassless, I also regret getting that too. lol

Quote:
Hi, I think I'm about to order the Quads and I had a couple questions about the optional add ons;

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #2,795 of 7,417
My Quads are stock all the way around.. no fancy tips, recessed sockets, etc.. and I think their comfort is out of this world.  I got an excellent ear impression from the audiologist, 1964 molded them to perfection.. and they disappear in my ears after a minute or two.. full range of motion with the jaw and the seal does not break.

Sep 20, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #2,797 of 7,417

Quote:
I have a small fit issue but I'm a international customer; any advice?
You can save on shipping time and costs if the issue just involves trimming down a section that is causing discomfort, we'd recommend you take it to an local audiologist. They have basic tools on hand for trimming hearing aids and can make small adjustments to the IEM. Please send us an email notifying us before you take it for a refit. Please see the answer below.

I need a refit, can a local audiologist make the adjustments? How would that affect my warranty?
1964 EARS cannot warranty the fit after the audiologist has altered it. In regards to the internal components, your warranty will still be in effect, EXCEPT for any damage the audiologist may do. We cannot warranty any damage done by the audiologist, including the external shell and the internal components.

Taken directly from their faq.

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #2,798 of 7,417
Of those 3, I got only the recessed sockets, and am pretty happy with it. My friend has a flushed socket and literally snapped the cable connection plugs inside the socket, leaving only repair method being a remold. Really helps with endurance if your not that gentle type of person.

Quote:

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #2,801 of 7,417
Well it doesn't fit perfectly and don't really want to ship it back there since it takes quite some time and always the fear of losing the package. 1964 Ears already has my impressions from the 1964-T and always wanted vinyl tips so I think I may go for it after my next paycheck. it's something under consideration but I'll have to ask them some questions before deciding.

Sep 20, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #2,802 of 7,417
I had some durability issues with the soft gel tips and had to get them remolded into acrylic. Apparently my ear canal was a bit too narrow, causing the soft gel tips to rupture and effectively tear apart. The guys at 1964 were awesome about it though and did the remolding for free within a 1 week time frame. They even refunded the cost of the soft gel option without me asking which was pretty awesome.

Anyways, my two cents: in terms of general use, both the acrylic and soft gels feel equally comfortable to me once they are in the ear. When it comes to insertion and removal however, the acrylic tips are a bit more rough. The soft gels also held a slightly better seal when I'm laying down flat on my back (sleeping); the acrylics had a tendency to fall back (the seal is still good however) while the soft gels had a slight bit of suction that held them in place. Besides that, there really isn't that much of a difference other than the fact that the soft gels are softer and more malleable once heated.

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #2,803 of 7,417
You mean acrylics don't cause any suction? 

Quote:
I had some durability issues with the soft gel tips and had to get them remolded into acrylic. Apparently my ear canal was a bit too narrow, causing the soft gel tips to rupture and effectively tear apart. The guys at 1964 were awesome about it though and did the remolding for free within a 1 week time frame. They even refunded the cost of the soft gel option without me asking which was pretty awesome.

Anyways, my two cents: in terms of general use, both the acrylic and soft gels feel equally comfortable to me once they are in the ear. When it comes to insertion and removal however, the acrylic tips are a bit more rough. The soft gels also held a slightly better seal when I'm laying down flat on my back (sleeping); the acrylics had a tendency to fall back (the seal is still good however) while the soft gels had a slight bit of suction that held them in place. Besides that, there really isn't that much of a difference other than the fact that the soft gels are softer and more malleable once heated.

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #2,804 of 7,417
Are you referring to that suction with universals when you have a seal and then when you remove it you have that suction? If so then that is correct and I do not get that with my two all acrylic customs.

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #2,805 of 7,417
they just slide on out! unless you've been wearing them for a while and your ears have gotten sweaty. in that case, when you break the seal there will be the slightest amount of suction when you *pop* it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back