1964 Ears
Sep 13, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #2,776 of 7,417
Hi, 
I have the soft canals and variable ports. I don't think it was a good choice because, when I open the ports even with the smaller pore,  the bass is almost washed out, so I use it always closed.
I get a small vacuum, but still annoying to me, that I think could be caused by the soft tips. I am wondering if the normal acrylic wouldn't be more comfortable then the soft canals, for those of us who can't stand the vacuum created by IEMs.
Quote:
anyone have the soft canals? Or the variable ports?

I've made up my mind that I'm going to get the 1964Q--just have to decide on the options now.

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #2,777 of 7,417
Quote:
Hi, 
I have the soft canals and variable ports. I don't think it was a good choice because, when I open the ports even with the smaller pore,  the bass is almost washed out, so I use it always closed.
I get a small vacuum, but still annoying to me, that I think could be caused by the soft tips. I am wondering if the normal acrylic wouldn't be more comfortable then the soft canals, for those of us who can't stand the vacuum created by IEMs.

Ok, thanks for that.  I asked Aleksy, too, and he said pretty much the same thing about both of those.  he said the soft canals are mostly for singers who need it to adjust when their mouth is fully open.

So i guess i'm just doing rush order and artwork.  sweet.

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #2,778 of 7,417
THIS STUFF!
Not sure how long it will last in the murky depths of my ear canals (especially at the gym) but here is the answer to your fitting problems. Err - except refitting of course which is the most sensible option.. 
Like other Comply foam is compresses to almost nothing and then slowly fills out. SUPER comfy. Zero inner ear quishy brain noise either. I got 10 strips to a pack.

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #2,779 of 7,417

Quote:
THIS STUFF!
Not sure how long it will last in the murky depths of my ear canals (especially at the gym) but here is the answer to your fitting problems. Err - except refitting of course which is the most sensible option.. 
Like other Comply foam is compresses to almost nothing and then slowly fills out. SUPER comfy. Zero inner ear quishy brain noise either. I got 10 strips to a pack.

I've wrapped mine in surgical tape. It's soft, so you can barely tell it's there. Might go find some food dye just so it's not as noticeable... It'll be interesting how long it lasts, being so humid up here, I'm guessing not too long. I really don't want to send them back, going on hols soon and i'll die without them. 

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #2,780 of 7,417
Mine just arrived, basic impressions:

Fit - Excellent - maybe very, very slightly loose on the right side but I'm not used to them yet, so I'll reserve judgment there.
Comfort - Like they aren't even there. I can open my mouth all the way without loosing seal. EXTREMELY comfortable.
SQ - Phat and Flat (to my ears) I don't notice any mud or excess mid-bass. The low end is actually low (!!!) and sounds clean and tight. Great clarity up top, and I haven't yet noticed any peaky stuff. 
Build Quality - One or two tiny bubbles, high gloss finish, sweet color. Beautifully made.
Cable - Westone style silver, flexible, soft, light and so far, zero microphonics. 

My monitors are triples, with the soft canal option.
I'm a happy camper, looking forward to using them some more.

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #2,781 of 7,417

Hope you enjoy them even more. Would you mind taking pictures? 
Quote:
Mine just arrived, basic impressions:

Fit - Excellent - maybe very, very slightly loose on the right side but I'm not used to them yet, so I'll reserve judgment there.
Comfort - Like they aren't even there. I can open my mouth all the way without loosing seal. EXTREMELY comfortable.
SQ - Phat and Flat (to my ears) I don't notice any mud or excess mid-bass. The low end is actually low (!!!) and sounds clean and tight. Great clarity up top, and I haven't yet noticed any peaky stuff. 
Build Quality - One or two tiny bubbles, high gloss finish, sweet color. Beautifully made.
Cable - Westone style silver, flexible, soft, light and so far, zero microphonics. 

My monitors are triples, with the soft canal option.
I'm a happy camper, looking forward to using them some more.

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #2,783 of 7,417

Thanks a lot. They do look nice. I can't wait to hold mine on Monday
Quote:
Here you go Yuceka, not a great photo, but here they are:

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #2,784 of 7,417
is that royal blue?  i got clear cables with light blue shells.  my right shell seems ever so slightly looser than the left - the left is absolutely perfect.  but at times, i feel like the right side is perfect and the left could be slightly smaller.  it's easier to break the seal on the right side than the left side (also slight).  i don't know what to think, have them shave down the left or add material to the right?!?

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #2,785 of 7,417
When the do they refit, do they just add more to the existing shell? Do you get impressions redone? My quads are in transit and I REALLY hope they fit well, as I'm in Australia and the turn around time would be crushing! But the thought of just adding tape to some I've spent so much on is borderline sacrilegious!

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #2,788 of 7,417

Quote:
is that royal blue?  i got clear cables with light blue shells.  my right shell seems ever so slightly looser than the left - the left is absolutely perfect.  but at times, i feel like the right side is perfect and the left could be slightly smaller.  it's easier to break the seal on the right side than the left side (also slight).  i don't know what to think, have them shave down the left or add material to the right?!?

Yeah, mine are royal blue with clear soft tips. I've heard of people painting a layer or two of acrylic nail polish on the their IEM's to help them a fit little tighter. Of course you'd be better to send them back if the fit is really a problem. I don't think mine need re-fitting, after using them a bit more I'm happy with the fit.

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #2,790 of 7,417
So I just got my triples back from a refit.  I had them add material to the left canal/aperture since the seal was easier to break than the right.  Now that I have them back the left is actually a little too large.  The seal is amazing but the are a little uncomfortable and I can't wear them for long periods of time.  It is extremely difficult to break the seal.  Its disappointing cause the right is practically perfect and the left WAS just a little too small.  I thought they would increase the size only marginally but I guess I was wrong.  What should I do?

Is it possible to "sand" down the acrylic a bit so they fit how I want?  Take them to a local audiologist?  I really don't wanna send these things back in again.  With the added cost of shipping for these things I could have gone with the quads, which I didn't want to spend that much in the beginning.  Any ideas would be great.  Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back