1964 Ears
Mar 24, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #1,861 of 7,417
They do keep impressions. I asked because I'm getting my TF10s reshelled next payday. It seems odd for a bubble to be darker, but I'd: 1. ask them about it, 2. send it back if it's really a gap in the plastic. You want these things to last.

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #1,862 of 7,417
That would go back 100% if it was me. While I'm certainly interested in good sound and fit, I'm also interested in the design- I think they look great and with customised colours and art work etc...they become a little work of art in their own right. That large bubble right on the face plate would be an issue for me. 

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #1,865 of 7,417
Yeah, that's clearance for the drivers.  They may or may not be able to fix that based on how different the size of your ear is from left to right.

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #1,866 of 7,417
I just saw your design on 1964 Ears's facebook photo gallery... The bird is pretty cool.

Quote:
The design's covered by a smooth surface. It's fairly accurate, though I had a filled in band on the rose that didn't make it to the final version. The main issue for me is that I didn't use a heavy enough line on the drawing.  The bird, however, turned out better than I'd expected, so it's all even.

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #1,867 of 7,417

My Ultimate Ears RMs are like that.  But the 'bubbles' are much smaller and symmetrical- no doubt they were for driver clearance.

Quote:
Yeah, that's clearance for the drivers.  They may or may not be able to fix that based on how different the size of your ear is from left to right.

The asymmetry and size would bring out the 'Monk' in me and bug me.  But if the impressions (your ears) are different, I guess it can't be helped.

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #1,869 of 7,417
This is not a bubble. It's just the way it has to be. He has too small ears to fit those drivers in the shell. So the faceplate a bit thiner there. The effect of the "bubble" is made because of adhesive. There's no air in this "bubble" it's only glue.

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #1,870 of 7,417
Just received them from the courier today. Listening to them right now. First impressions on build etc:

Build is more or less perfect. Can't find any bubbles, though i did find a black speck of something stuck in the middle of the faceplate and the main body. But it is very small and not easily seen.
Fit wise - pretty good seal, can't hear the TV when right in front of it. The right side is tighter than the left. Sound seems to be equal and bass amount is balanced.

Coming from the MTPCs, these sound crystal clear and very sharp. But the MTPCs still have the edge in rumbling bass. I'll post my review when I've used them for a week or two.

Overall, rather satisfied with my purchase. Time to stock up on the FLACs...

Some pictures below:

Surprised that the initials and words are 'inside the shell', rather than engraved. the surface is smooth to the touch.

Sorry for big picture. The box.

This colour is Dragon Red with the default logo.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #1,872 of 7,417
Oops I forgot to state they were 1964Qs.
After listening to them for a few hours - I would say their bass signature is really strong. The kick drums are very satisfying and bass lines are clearly rendered. However, what the MTPC wins in is timbre. On the MTPC the kick drum really sounds natural and very 'beaty', you can feel the air being moved. On the 1964Q's it's a bit less 'visceral'. But clarity wise, i went back to the MTPC after listening to the Qs for a while: No competition, the 1964Qs win hands down.

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #1,873 of 7,417
Thanks for the info. I had the MTPC a while back and from memory I can discern as to what I should be expecting with the 1964Q in terms of bass. What do you like most about the 1964Q so far?

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #1,874 of 7,417
For me, they have opened up the soundstage a lot compared to the MTPCs.
It is also able to maintain a bass-heavy sound signature while keeping the highs and mids forward and clear. The highs are crisp and not sibilant. It is definitely a warm sound signature.

Of course, one thing I miss is the blended sound - BA IEMs tend to give me the feeling the sound is in layers. I used a UM3x some time ago, and I have no idea why I don't like the 'BA' sound anymore. Probably too much dynamic driver exposure while waiting for the Quads to arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back