1964 Ears
Mar 19, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #1,816 of 7,417
The amount of bass difference between the 1964-T and the Beats is a pretty large difference. The Beats have a good amount of boosting in the bass so if that's what you are used to the bass on the 1964-T may come to you as a shock. However if you can handle something such as you will get bass if the track has a lot of bass then that may be better off as something bass heavy make your mix bass light or not as much as you may like on it. IMO the best way for mixes is to have something close to neutral (which I do consider the 1964-T to be the closest to it that I've heard in an earphone) and then do all your changes from the board.

The 1964-T does slightly rolloff at the lowest of lows and has a smoothed out treble up top but not that much is done up top and probably more meaningful for audiophiles.

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #1,817 of 7,417
I would be totally down to do a review... but my opinion would be meaningless to you all haha :)

It seems like the consensus here is to go with the triples. Would I be messing myself up with "colored" quads? I'm not orchestrating a band where i need to hear every detail when I DJ. But there was this one time where I was so into my mix (and my sony headphones sucked so bad) that I didn't realize I had been playing a track with the bass completely cut out! It's one of my mixing techniques where i cut the bass out of one track to give it more of an acapella feel while the second track is blended full range on the EQ. So as long as I can easily hear what the crowd is hearing... thats all i care for when I DJ.

On the other hand... all of these wonderful reviews has me super curious on what I've been missing out on (I like to think of it as SD vs HD television). But at the same time, I need to ground myself... because realistically... I will probably not be buying anything else to improve the sound along the "chain". At most... it will see EQ'ing from whatever is included with my ipod/iphone. Most DJ mixers I work with do NOT have isolated EQ'ing on the headphones alone. With that said, do i need a headphone amp or anything else to really appreciate trips/quads? Because if so, that makes the decision easy for me...

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #1,818 of 7,417
honestly, I find it really difficult to reccomend one over the other. unless you are familiar with the system's in the clubs; there really isnt a reference sound across all of them(unless you set up your own equipment). I notice most of them are already thumpy with very visceral highs(no joke, sometimes it feels like my ears are going to bleed; thankfully I now bring protection
biggrin.gif
). If you are going into scenes like such, you may be better off with the quads, since they wont have you exaggerating the bass for that earth-shaking sound by accident; although on second thought, it may be better to mess up with more lows than starving the crowd of it!

If anything, you may want to give Vitaliy a call or shoot him an e-mail; since he was a sound engineer before starting his company. He may know the sound you are looking for depending on what you play and how you EQ

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #1,821 of 7,417

Hey ummagawd,

I also DJ as a hobby and probably wouldn't qualify as a hard core audiophile... That being said, I am very very happy with my quads. Like I posted in my initial first impressions, Deadmau5's new album sounds absolutely brilliant. Raise Your Weapon with it's wide range of frequency is delivered with punch, clarity and excitement. The mids and highs are forward without being over 'sparkly' and the bass hits hard and low.

Before the quads I had a set of UE Superfi EB and was fairly happy due to the extended bass... Especially when listening to Electro and Dubstep. The only drawbacks with the UEs is that often the mids and highs would get drowned out by the bass. This was mostly obvious when listening to other genres such as indie rock... a problem the Quads have resolved, at least to my ears. 

All in all, I think that the Quads are great hybrids and can deliver no matter what track I decide to listen to.

Hope that helps!

Cheers.

Quote:
Ok first off, not gonna lie... Only made it to page 54 before giving up.

I'm a DJ looking to get into custom IEMs. At first i was only concerned about isolation and a flat (true) response from IEMs since my mixing style involves adjusting EQs during blends. So I was looking at a single BA as suggested by the folks at drmearz.

Then I started reading more reviews about 1964s and started thinking "man am I missing out on high fi audio listening experiences?". I'm not an audiophile (yet haha) but can certainly get lost in music and can appreciate "good sound". I listen to mostly top 40, electro, dubstep, style music and can say that i do like bass.

With that said, which model do you guys think would suit me best assuming that I'd be plugging these directly into my iPhone/iPod most of the time? Obviously when DJing, I won't care about SQ too much so long as I can hear an accurate full range. But I have no plans to buy a DAC or amp.

On the flip side, since I probably don't know what "excellent" sounding IEMs are suppose to sound like, maybe i should buy a single driver, save some money, and stay away from this forum...

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #1,822 of 7,417

Quote:
thanks for the feedback guys...

I guess I should ask if I'd be really doing myself an injustice by going with singles. DRMearz has a "low end chamber" option that allows for the low frequencies to sound bigger and more defined, curious if their single driver with this LEC option will serve me fine. As average joe mentioned... if i don't know any better.... ignorance is bliss right? haha

The LEC option does sound interesting and you are right, ignorance is bliss and the more you know the more you realize you don't know!

Quote:
The amount of bass difference between the 1964-T and the Beats is a pretty large difference. The Beats have a good amount of boosting in the bass so if that's what you are used to the bass on the 1964-T may come to you as a shock. However if you can handle something such as you will get bass if the track has a lot of bass then that may be better off as something bass heavy make your mix bass light or not as much as you may like on it. IMO the best way for mixes is to have something close to neutral (which I do consider the 1964-T to be the closest to it that I've heard in an earphone) and then do all your changes from the board.

The 1964-T does slightly rolloff at the lowest of lows and has a smoothed out treble up top but not that much is done up top and probably more meaningful for audiophiles.

Quote:
Hey ummagawd,

I also DJ as a hobby and probably wouldn't qualify as a hard core audiophile... That being said, I am very very happy with my quads. Like I posted in my initial first impressions, Deadmau5's new album sounds absolutely brilliant. Raise Your Weapon with it's wide range of frequency is delivered with punch, clarity and excitement. The mids and highs are forward without being over 'sparkly' and the bass hits hard and low.

Before the quads I had a set of UE Superfi EB and was fairly happy due to the extended bass... Especially when listening to Electro and Dubstep. The only drawbacks with the UEs is that often the mids and highs would get drowned out by the bass. This was mostly obvious when listening to other genres such as indie rock... a problem the Quads have resolved, at least to my ears. 

All in all, I think that the Quads are great hybrids and can deliver no matter what track I decide to listen to.

Hope that helps!

Cheers.

Seems like there are conflicting opinions, as expected.  I would think the T is best for you here, but you never know.  But I would venture to say what ever you go with, the T or the Q (and maybe the DRM-1X), you will be amazed by the sound quality!

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #1,823 of 7,417
inmotion... very helpful thank you. I too listen to deadmau5 (and others of the like) and the only time i really get to appreciate the music and all of its individual instruments/sounds is when i listen at home on my studio monitors. I think with your scenario, however... you're in it for SQ first before the DJ'ing as the priority list right? Have you had a chance to use the Qs at a club or other venue to DJ? Also... do you listen straight from your source with no amp/pre-amp/DAC?

Sometimes I'm forgetting that the reviews here are based on sources that have additional points of influence along their line source.

For everyone else chiming in.... thank you (although my wallet does NOT).

Is it safe to assume at this point, with today's technology, that a single driver just will NOT deliver as wide of a spectrum and with clarity as having multiple drivers (in terms of looking for a neutral response)?

I think what it's going to come down to, is whether or not i would really use the IEM's outside of it's intended DJing duties, to the extent that the extra SQ from having multiple drivers would be worth it. If 90% DJing... I'm guessing a single will do the job just fine, and anything other than these cheap pioneer IEM's will sound better at the gym. And if I decide to extend music listening to other areas of my life (i work at a call center and not hearing my neighbors is sounding like a good idea... pun intended), I'll get Ts or Qs.

One last question... going with Q's wouldn't have an adverse affect if I normally keep my EQ levels flat when DJing right? When I adjust EQ's for certain mixing effects... it's usually to go down. The only time I ever boost levels is when I have a crappy recording of a track, or an older track that simply lacks bass/kick.

For simple listening, i honestly would probably never touch the EQ off my iphone.

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #1,824 of 7,417
I picked my triples up in Portland on Thursday. The 1964-Ears shop is in a mixed use (light industrial/retail/residential) part of north Portland, not a bad neighborhood at all. The place is tiny, basically a small, longish room, with workstations set up along the wall. There were about four people working on monitors and Aleksey who gave me my 'phones and showed me how to put them in.  Even after working with tricky iems, like TF10s, the knack of getting customs in and out takes some practice.

The sound is amazing. Maybe when I've had a chance to get over being wowed by the difference between them and my other phones (detail, soundstage mainly), I might post a real review.  But for right now, I'm just enjoying the triples.

No fit issues, though having them in takes some getting used to, the insertion is pretty deep and the iem rests against your ear when it's seated properly, But I drove for three hours with them in with no pain. The only problem was I was so surprised by the detail I heard in music I've known for years, it took my attention away from the insane drivers on I-5.

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #1,826 of 7,417
rroseperry, customs do have a slight learning curve as you are well aware of. It shouldn't take long before you get used to putting them on. I had to do a google search and came across a youtube video to put them on correctly. Taking them off is easy however. As for fit I would try to get used to them over the next week or so and by then you should be able to tell if you have any fit issues or not.

I'll be sending mine back on Tuesday as I don't have time tomorrow so will send them Tuesday. I think for the most part fit is good. One side goes a tad too deep now but thats only when I push the monitor in. The only issue I want to get fixed is that when I smile the monitors lose seal. It's very slight on the left but a bit more noticeable on the right. The left side may also move around a bit while walking since I do adjust them a bit.

Hopefully everything will be sorted out as I don't want to send it in again.

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #1,827 of 7,417

Quote:
i have a set of quads on order as well...we'll see what happens.

[size=medium]
Update:
[size=medium]
Well, it's been a tad over 3 weeks since I sent in my impressions and order form for the Q's. I was originally told ~10 day turn around but I guess with the sell, the orders really piled in. I gave a call to 1964 a few days ago and talked with Aleksey for a few. He said these would ship sometime toward the end of March. If that is true, we're looking at about a ~30 day turn around.  I'm ok with that. Just getting a little antsy. I've been wearing a pair of Shure 210's for the last month that I had to keep fixing the cable on every couple of days. I write up a review after I get them on initial impression and such. Patiently waiting........
[/size]

[/size]

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #1,828 of 7,417

Quote:
Was it worth the drive from Seattle?? I just ordered a pair of Quads last week! Can't wait!

I was taking a road trip up through the NW to see a bunch of friends in Seattle and Portland, so it wasn't at all out of the way.  It was completely worth it.

So far I've only lost seal if I move my head quickly to the left (and only to the left, for some reason), but it's only a touch to get it back.

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #1,829 of 7,417

Quote:
I picked my triples up in Portland on Thursday. The 1964-Ears shop is in a mixed use (light industrial/retail/residential) part of north Portland, not a bad neighborhood at all. The place is tiny, basically a small, longish room, with workstations set up along the wall. There were about four people working on monitors and Aleksey who gave me my 'phones and showed me how to put them in.  Even after working with tricky iems, like TF10s, the knack of getting customs in and out takes some practice.

The sound is amazing. Maybe when I've had a chance to get over being wowed by the difference between them and my other phones (detail, soundstage mainly), I might post a real review.  But for right now, I'm just enjoying the triples.

No fit issues, though having them in takes some getting used to, the insertion is pretty deep and the iem rests against your ear when it's seated properly, But I drove for three hours with them in with no pain. The only problem was I was so surprised by the detail I heard in music I've known for years, it took my attention away from the insane drivers on I-5.

Cool. Pictures?

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #1,830 of 7,417
Yes, pictures would be great :) Glad you're happy with them so far. I'm on 16 business days- Friday will be 20 business days from my full payment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back