1964 Ears
Mar 14, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #1,741 of 7,417
My Quads went back for another refit... ugh.

My experience with the Quads is only about two hours worth of listening, but I would agree with the statement that they are more rolled off in the treble compared to the TF10.  With that said, they have a more balanced overall sound.  Each time I get my Quads back—after sending them in for refits—my first thought is always that they are a bit bland and not at all exciting.  But after getting acclimated to their sound, the other IEMs that I put at the top of my list (like the TF10 and W3) I find to be too shrill and the upper bass to be too bumped up.  Whereas I think the Quads has a more pleasing overall sound.  Also, more than the aforementioned IEMs, I think that the Quads have great instrument separation and clarity; though not the widest soundstage I've heard in an IEM.

With symphonic classical, opera, and choral music the Quads are fantastic.  As said before, the soundstage is not that large—so it's more like being at a recital than at a symphony hall—but the sound is very clear and cohesive and never sibilant.  This is highly welcome when listening to sopranos like Natalie Dessay, who's highs sometime hurt my ears through the TF10 and W3.  Jazz is probably represented better than large symphonic works, since jazz ensembles are much smaller and they typically perform in smaller venues.  The warmth of the bass, breathiness of the sax, and shimmer of the cymbals on Coltrane's Ballads album came through perfectly on the Quads.

Rock goes from good to great, depending on the recording.  I only got to listen to some Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam and Sigur Ros so far.  Siamese Dream was interesting through the Quads.  I could hear the harmonic tones in Billy's Big Muffed guitars and a lot of the 40+ guitar layers (I can't possible distinguish between ALL of them), but I think that the album sounded slightly better/more immediate when I tipped up the bass (around 60hz) and the treble (around 10khz).  

Pearl Jam's Ten Redux and Vs. both sounded amazing through the Quads with a flat EQ.  It was like listening to the albums on studio monitors.  Not much more to say there except that I found my self listening to these albums at a slightly higher volume level than I typically would with the TF10 and W3--like 1 or 2 clicks more on the iPhone, though never past the halfway point.  

The last album I remember listening to was Sigur Ros's Ágætis Byrjun.  While they lacked the expansiveness of listening to AB on full sized headphones, the Quads really surprised me with how lush, yet articulate they were able to render the album.  The keyboard was able to go deep with no effort, the drums and bass were easily distinguishable, Jonsi's vocals were crystal clear, and the bowed guitar was very stirring.

I know that this mini-review probably needs more explanation, but this is the best I can do until next week when I get my Quads back (hopefully for good).

**Equipment used: 1964 Ears Quads, iPhone 3Gs, Apple Lossless files streamed via Airport Express and home sharing**  

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #1,742 of 7,417
I have been waiting close to 4 weeks already to get my 1964-q quad driver IEMs and was just told over the phone it would be another 2 weeks before my custom IEMs would be ready. This is ridiculous...it is going to be a total of six weeks before I get these in the mail...they better be some amazing sounding IEMs or it is going to hard to justify this unnecessarily long a wait.

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #1,743 of 7,417
bummer, I didn't realize it was going to take that long... I just turned my impressions in on Friday... So I am looking at two months then,,, ugh,,, 

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #1,744 of 7,417
Picked up my quads today. The fit isn't 100% perfect but I chalk that up to me not being able to describe the issue clearly. I can picture Vitaliy reading the email I sent shacking his head and muttering idiot over and over :)

From the first time I listened to these I loved them. I don't think I am going to take them back again. I don't want to let them go.

Last thing, I have heard people on these boards talk about "Synergy" between amps and headsets and to be honest I didn't put much stock in it until tonight. I have been doing some listening tests between my Solo/Rx MKII and my Arrow 3G. The Arrow 3G was made for the Quads. It takes every positive of the Quads and amplifies it, the quads came alive.. and they were incredible to start with. If you can lay your hands on one to test it I highly recommend it. My ears are still ringing.. in a good way :)

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #1,745 of 7,417

Quote:
I'm extremely tempted to upgrade to a pair of 1964's, but i've got a couple of questions first.

I've owned my TF 10's for a couple of months and I love everything about them, except the fit. Which pair of 1964's are similair to the TF10's? Looking at the prices and reading most of the reviews on here, i'm leaning towards the Duals or Triples, so hopefully it's either of those.

How well can they reproduce artwork on the face of the IEM? I'm tempted to get either the cover of Mogwai - Young Team (attached) or Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun (my avatar). And is that considered a "simple engraving" or "custom artwork"?

All feedback is helpful, cheers guys, and I'll definitely post pics/reviews

Coincidence! I ordered quads a few weeks ago and have requested the MYT logo too! They are going to laser engrave it but it is considered custom artwork so $50 extra rather than the simple $25. I'm also going for a different artwork on the other ear - the Radiohead bear. So it'll be a solid red faceplate with black MYT logo and translucent red body with clear tip for my left IEM and a solid black faceplate with silver Radiohead logo, translucent green (emulating aLm0sT's JH16s) body and clear tip for my right. Black cable.

Anyway, if you want to wait for me to recieve mine I'll be posting pictures on here soon hopefully.

I'll probably regret the artwork when I get people staring at me on the train but I'm hoping it'll look as good as I imagine it will. Just to join in on waiting times, I paid on February 24th but they didn't confirm receipt of my impressions until March 1st. I'm hoping to get them sometime this month but I'm more concerned about build quality and fit being based in the UK. I don't really want to be sending these back and forth across the Atlantic for the next 3 months.

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #1,746 of 7,417

Quote:
Coincidence! I ordered quads a few weeks ago and have requested the MYT logo too! They are going to laser engrave it but it is considered custom artwork so $50 extra rather than the simple $25. I'm also going for a different artwork on the other ear - the Radiohead bear. So it'll be a solid red faceplate with black MYT logo and translucent red body with clear tip for my left IEM and a solid black faceplate with silver Radiohead logo, translucent green (emulating aLm0sT's JH16s) body and clear tip for my right. Black cable.

Anyway, if you want to wait for me to recieve mine I'll be posting pictures on here soon hopefully.

I'll probably regret the artwork when I get people staring at me on the train but I'm hoping it'll look as good as I imagine it will. Just to join in on waiting times, I paid on February 24th but they didn't confirm receipt of my impressions until March 1st. I'm hoping to get them sometime this month but I'm more concerned about build quality and fit being based in the UK. I don't really want to be sending these back and forth across the Atlantic for the next 3 months.

Awesome! Yeah i'll definitely wait for pics if you're happy to post them. Haven't managed to order mine yet, going on holidays next month so I haven't bothered sending the order off. 

I'm also having trouble choosing colours, can't decide between the True Magenta or Dark purple. The dark purple is on their site, but I was kinda hoping for the true magenta's too look alot like Unique Melody's marvels

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #1,748 of 7,417
^

sonic adjustment or ?

its been 8 days already but the item has not been shipped from US to singapore.

i wonder why usps is taking so long to deliver it. anybody met with the same situation ?

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #1,749 of 7,417

Quote:

Heya,

That's not far from me. 1964 confirmed receipt of my impressions on the 28th but due to a Paypal issue I didn't get invoiced until around the 2nd of March but as this was an issue on their side my count started from the 28th. I'm not holding out hope of getting them in March- but hoping the build will be complete before the end of this month.

I spoke to a guy on Youtube actually who got his 1964-T's about a month ago and said they fit perfectly first time around- luck guy. I hope to share the same luck because, like you, I don't want to be shipping internationally back and forth for refits!

BANE

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #1,750 of 7,417

Quote:
Heya,

That's not far from me. 1964 confirmed receipt of my impressions on the 28th but due to a Paypal issue I didn't get invoiced until around the 2nd of March but as this was an issue on their side my count started from the 28th. I'm not holding out hope of getting them in March- but hoping the build will be complete before the end of this month.

I spoke to a guy on Youtube actually who got his 1964-T's about a month ago and said they fit perfectly first time around- luck guy. I hope to share the same luck because, like you, I don't want to be shipping internationally back and forth for refits!

BANE

This will be my first time getting impressions, so it's likely to go wrong. And living in australia, shipping all the way to the US is probably going to be a nightmare. All things considered, they'll be worth it.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #1,751 of 7,417
No, just a fit issue.  

Regarding timing: 
I've sent my Quads back for a fit adjustment 2 times so far and on average, from the time they receive my Quads, it has taken them < 5 days to do the work and get the Quads back in the mail.

Quote:
^

sonic adjustment or ?

its been 8 days already but the item has not been shipped from US to singapore.

i wonder why usps is taking so long to deliver it. anybody met with the same situation ?

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #1,752 of 7,417
US to signapore can take a while so you just have to be patient.

I'm going to send mine back for a minor adjustment early next week when I get some things in the mail so I don't have to listen to my Brainwavz M2.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #1,753 of 7,417
maybe I am just a nervous buyer, but I have read about quite a few people returning their 1964 in ears for refits... Is this normal?  Its not a huge deal because they do the adjustments for free, but I am a little nervous hearing everyone say they had to return their customs 2 - 3 times for adjustments... My triples should be hear in about three weeks apparently so I guess I will have to just be nervous until then... 

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #1,754 of 7,417
Well refits are normal. It's just something that comes with owning customs. If you could however name me one company that offers the same products that doesn't have to do any refits :p

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #1,755 of 7,417

Quote:
Well refits are normal. It's just something that comes with owning customs. If you could however name me one company that offers the same products that doesn't have to do any refits :p

Ya, I know... I have never bought customs before, and I know nothing about other companies as well.  I just don't know how normal it is for companies to do refits... Is 1964 doing it more often than other companies?  Is it pretty common for any company to have to do a refit?  I know eventually everyone's ears do change over time, so a refit is inevitable eventually... I guess... I don't know what I am talking about... just concerned that it isn't going to work out for me.  I am already waiting for a month to get them done, and really that is a long time for an impatient person like me... and then on top of that, knowing they are probably going to have to go back in for  refit... ugh... sorry if I sound complain-tive, just concerned...  I guess they are doing their best with the volume they have... And I am grateful for their volume, because it means they will probably be around for a long time... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back