1964 Ears
Mar 11, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #1,711 of 7,417
Woohooo!

I received my Quad today!

They look beautiful and the color came out really well.   Just a quick pix I took and it does not do them justice.  I will take some nicer pics some other time, but I do not want to take them out of my ears for time in front of the camera!

Anyway, listening to music right now, so nothing more to comment.

This came just in time too as I am going on a business trip Sunday morning.  Now I got something to sport as I wait for my flight!  Spot me at John Wayne Airport or Denver International!

Mar 11, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #1,712 of 7,417
It has been 23 business days since payment. During this time, I have:

Bought and sold 4 pairs of IEMs
Bought an MTPC on impulse
Dreamt about them sending me the IEMs but asked me to fix on the faceplate myself, and in the wrong colour too

I'm not trying to be impatient here, but I see this as a far cry from what was offered before. Hope they include that gift coupon or whatever for the late delivery.

Mar 11, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #1,713 of 7,417
So I went to the office of 1964 today to drop off my impressions for a set of triples... and they sure are busy.  I walked in and asked if they have been busy and he pointed to a wall... and there were like 30 sets all in trays that he said were just recently finished... apparently, the techs were up late last night, and there was no one there except Alex at 9:30a... Well he helped me make my order, cool guy.  I have to say, I don't know why they moved their office, because their new one is in a pretty seedy part of town... and it was kind of a mess... I don't know why, but by the quality products they are putting out, I am just surprised by their office / lab... I guess I envisioned an artistic, upscale office / lab, but currently it looks like a small room with about 8 workstations... The picture on the website must be of the older office... I think this is understandable, I am sure most of their business is by mail... so not really a store front workshop... but it would be cool to see a front receptionist area with maybe a chair for doing impressions... but who knows... maybe not something they want to get into... Well I am sure my triples will come out just fine... thought I would just share that with you all... 

Mar 11, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #1,714 of 7,417
That makes sense. Expanding further on that, if you get the customs and love them, you might end up selling the TF10 and making some money back that way. 

I personally find the 1964-T on another level altogether compared to the TF10, but perhaps that is limited by my hatred for their fit.

I'll probably end up reshelling them just for the sake of it. Anyway, off to get my impressions

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #1,715 of 7,417
Amazing. Congratulations on the quad delivery, hope they are what you expect and more!

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #1,716 of 7,417

Quote:
So I went to the office of 1964 today to drop off my impressions for a set of triples... and they sure are busy.  I walked in and asked if they have been busy and he pointed to a wall... and there were like 30 sets all in trays that he said were just recently finished... apparently, the techs were up late last night, and there was no one there except Alex at 9:30a... Well he helped me make my order, cool guy.  I have to say, I don't know why they moved their office, because their new one is in a pretty seedy part of town... and it was kind of a mess... I don't know why, but by the quality products they are putting out, I am just surprised by their office / lab... I guess I envisioned an artistic, upscale office / lab, but currently it looks like a small room with about 8 workstations... The picture on the website must be of the older office... I think this is understandable, I am sure most of their business is by mail... so not really a store front workshop... but it would be cool to see a front receptionist area with maybe a chair for doing impressions... but who knows... maybe not something they want to get into... Well I am sure my triples will come out just fine... thought I would just share that with you all... 

I bet the new place is bigger and can turn out more product. More employees not making product would drive up the price. Perhaps he discovered this business model works and moved to a larger, lower rent area to be able to keep his, what was at the time, introductory pricing.

Mar 12, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #1,717 of 7,417
I don't think they had a choice in the matter. I believe the other buildings management decided to make changes that did not include 1964. As for the building, it's new and the neighborhood is fine. There is a nice park across the street. Considering the amount of time that they were given I think they did fine. Remember zoning laws in Oregon are pretty tough and to find a place to get a light manufacturing permit and not be in a business park is not easy.

I think you were expecting something like a IEM salon. I was looking for a bunch of guys hard at work on IEMs.

Quote:

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #1,718 of 7,417
well... to be honest, only one person was working, and he wasn't working on IEMs... The place was almost vacant at 9:30 - 9:45 am on a Friday.

But yeah, an IEM studio would have been cool.  (not a salon. thats where they do makeup and hair) Think more like a board shop or some other custom shop. 

Yes, I know Oregon and know all about zoning laws, (currently in the process of zoning some commercial property into some residential.. jumping through hoops is no fun...) but trust me, there are other options... and no, this part of Portland is no good... There is a strip club right around the corner, and yes there is a park across the street, but not the kind of park I would let my kids play in... Sorry man... The area is horrible.  And I am not exaggerating.  I know what a bad neighborhood is.  I grew up in a very rough portion of Sacramento, drugs, gangs, prostitution where the attractions... This fits the bill... 

Please forgive me, I think I am painting a bad picture of 1964... I am not intending too... I really like what they are doing, and I am purchasing a set.  I just think not focusing on an actual storefront is a mistake business wise... Many people really are not stuck behind a computer.  I didn't really care about saving money on shipping, I just wanted to see their operation in person, thats why I took the drive.  I think it would be a real score to maybe rent a room at a music store, audio store, or some other place that gets traffic. 

I really hope 1964 continues to take off, I hope the best for Vitaliy and gang.  I am really looking forward to my triples in a few weeks.  

Quote:
I don't think they had a choice in the matter. I believe the other buildings management decided to make changes that did not include 1964. As for the building, it's new and the neighborhood is fine. There is a nice park across the street. Considering the amount of time that they were given I think they did fine. Remember zoning laws in Oregon are pretty tough and to find a place to get a light manufacturing permit and not be in a business park is not easy.

I think you were expecting something like a IEM salon. I was looking for a bunch of guys hard at work on IEMs.

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #1,719 of 7,417
I made several trips to the old facility, the new lab looks significantly larger that the old lab. The old lab had maybe 3 workstations, I think closer to 2. And I will tell you, the old lab was also in a VERY seedy part of town. This one can't be much worse

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #1,720 of 7,417

Quote:
I made several trips to the old facility, the new lab looks significantly larger that the old lab. The old lab had maybe 3 workstations, I think closer to 2. And I will tell you, the old lab was also in a VERY seedy part of town. This one can't be much worse

[size=medium]
Ok, then that makes a lot of sense.  Definitely more workstations in there.  
[/size]

Mar 12, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #1,721 of 7,417

Quote:
well... to be honest, only one person was working, and he wasn't working on IEMs... The place was almost vacant at 9:30 - 9:45 am on a Friday.

But yeah, an IEM studio would have been cool.  (not a salon. thats where they do makeup and hair) Think more like a board shop or some other custom shop. 

Yes, I know Oregon and know all about zoning laws, (currently in the process of zoning some commercial property into some residential.. jumping through hoops is no fun...) but trust me, there are other options... and no, this part of Portland is no good... There is a strip club right around the corner, and yes there is a park across the street, but not the kind of park I would let my kids play in... Sorry man... The area is horrible.  And I am not exaggerating.  I know what a bad neighborhood is.  I grew up in a very rough portion of Sacramento, drugs, gangs, prostitution where the attractions... This fits the bill... 

Please forgive me, I think I am painting a bad picture of 1964... I am not intending too... I really like what they are doing, and I am purchasing a set.  I just think not focusing on an actual storefront is a mistake business wise... Many people really are not stuck behind a computer.  I didn't really care about saving money on shipping, I just wanted to see their operation in person, thats why I took the drive.  I think it would be a real score to maybe rent a room at a music store, audio store, or some other place that gets traffic. 

I really hope 1964 continues to take off, I hope the best for Vitaliy and gang.  I am really looking forward to my triples in a few weeks.  

strip club you say?
evil_smiley.gif
...they didn't tell ME this in the tour guide! 
mad.gif
 but on a more serious note, I do wonder how many people will actually make the trek to buy a pair of customs, many of us are stuck behind the computer screen due to issues related to the distance

Mar 12, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #1,722 of 7,417
LOL. What isn't close to a strip club in Oregon. When I moved here it amazed me.. they are everywhere. NW Portland doesn't really get to me. Across the river is a different story. While I agree it's not an area I would move too I will defer to your knowledge of bad neighborhoods. I grew up in Newport Beach, CA. It was basically Disneyland with a beach.

I can't speak to their staffing at different hours. Every time I have gone over there it has been afternoon. When I went to pickup my quads it was after 8pm. I really have to thank Vitaliy for that, I was leaving for a business trip the next morning and he went out of his way to make sure I had them beforehand.

Quote:

But yeah, an IEM studio would have been cool.  (not a salon. that's where they do makeup and hair) Think more like a board shop or some other custom shop. 

Please forgive me, I think I am painting a bad picture of 1964... I am not intending too... I really like what they are doing, and I am purchasing a set.  I just think not focusing on an actual storefront is a mistake business wise... Many people really are not stuck behind a computer.  I didn't really care about saving money on shipping, I just wanted to see their operation in person, that's why I took the drive.  I think it would be a real score to maybe rent a room at a music store, audio store, or some other place that gets traffic. 

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #1,723 of 7,417
So I've been enjoying the 1964-T as of late. I was listening to them today and they are quite good considering I only paid $350 for them. However I think on the 21st I'll be sending them back for a refit. I'm not quite sure yet however. I do lose seal a bit on one ear when I'm eating and also adjust that ear a bit every now and then since I feel it losing seal so I guess it moves around a bit when walking. It's not a big issue and doesn't affect the sound but it a bit annoying. I no longer have my Livewires since I sent them off to UM so I'll wait to get my W4 before sending them off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back