1964 Ears
Mar 10, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #1,696 of 7,417
Hearing that is certainly not encouraging (the two week shipping to-and-fro and the international as opposed to domestic shipping costs will kill me sooner or later), I hope my customs fit fine as the audiologist claims they should. One one hand she has done impressions for other customers buying custom IEMs, but on the other hand.. XD

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #1,697 of 7,417

Quote:
...I couldn't agree more with number 1. There are tons of audiologists out there, but not all of them are familiar with this particular market. They may have taken impressions thousands of times for hearing aid related devices, but never for custom IEMs, which in my experience requires more accuracy. I've even had one get sort of insulted because I requested a bite block, which they said wasn't needed. Sure enough, I ended up needing a refit, and have since moved on to a more experienced (with custom IEMS) audiologist....  

After requesting a bite block, maybe they thought you needed a straightjacket instead.  :)

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #1,698 of 7,417
Quote:
I think it is very relevant and it would be nice to hear these specs from every custom IEM company.

I asked this question before I placed my order, and Aleksey said, "I’d say about one out of 10 orders need a refit." It looks like UniqueMelodyAus was using exact figures from actual data, while Aleksey was just guesstimating, so it's probably best to not read too much into this.

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #1,699 of 7,417
Since I'm shipping from Ireland I really hope I don't have any refits. My audiologist tried one canal twice because she wasn't happy with the depth of the first impression. I had printed the 1964 instructions and handed them to her so I got my bite block- no questions asked. My right canal is smaller than my left so looking forward to finally having a snug fit equally in both- just crossing everything that i'm not the 1 in the 10!

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #1,700 of 7,417

Quote:
Unsure if this really belong here, however

Our current refit to production ratio for Australia is approximately one refit required every ~17 IEM's.

Of these 1 in every 17 IEM's, ~65% of the refits were built from ear impressions taken WITHOUT a bite block.

and of these 1 in every 17, just 85% of the refits required were cases where the impression was NOT taken by a dedicated audiologist in partnership with Unique Melody Australia.

Tips:

1. Listen to your manufacturer.  If they say bite block, then DO bite block, regardless of what the audiologist says.  If they will not supply what your manufacturer has required, look elsewhere for an audiologist.

2. Go to your recommended audiologist if your manufacturer has one.  We have working relationships at least four or five audiologists in every capital city in Australia.  Each of these audiologists know our specific requirements and understand the pertinence of getting the initial impression right!

3. Don't do them yourself.  We know its not hard to make an ear impression.  But we do know its not easy to make a good ear impression and you want none other than a fantastic ear impression do build you $200-1200 customs from.  Our audiologists are trained in what to look for.  They spot bubbles, cracks, depressions, dimples etc that are abnormal that we don't see.  Ear wax build up and hair can significantly compromise the quality of your ear impression.  Putting a Q-tip in your ear, or candling, or anything else is no substitute to having an audiologist use and orthoscope and identify and remove any wax build up.

Anyway, that is some insight into our experiences...take from it what you may...

Extremely helpful.  Thank-you. 

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #1,701 of 7,417

Quote:
Since I'm shipping from Ireland I really hope I don't have any refits. My audiologist tried one canal twice because she wasn't happy with the depth of the first impression. I had printed the 1964 instructions and handed them to her so I got my bite block- no questions asked. My right canal is smaller than my left so looking forward to finally having a snug fit equally in both- just crossing everything that i'm not the 1 in the 10!

I got lucky with my Audiologist since quite a few people were coming to him for 1964 he didn't need the instructions and still did everything asked him to do.  This made me a lot more confident in his abilities.

Though interestingly, I asked him about refits and he told me to come back if I had problems with them.  Has anyone gone to the audiologist when doing a refit, and what exactly does the audiologist do (other than make a new impression if required)? 

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #1,702 of 7,417
Some audiologists have equipment in their offices for doing adjustments themselves. Depending on how minor the problem is, they might be able to grind/file/sand or whatever needs to be done to make the fit perfect. I've never done this myself so I don't know if they would be able to keep the same finish, or if it would be obvious. I imagine it varies for each one depending on experience, equipment, etc. But for a minor adjustment it might be worth a shot.

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #1,703 of 7,417
I asked about the mold shrink issue.  I was told that was not an issue and they had my molds for more than a month.  If my molds shrunk I'm glad because the fit is perfect.  
wink_face.gif

Whether they used the same silicone that other companies use is another question I don't have an answer to.  

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #1,704 of 7,417
I've had a refit before and the audiologist just did another impression at a discounted price.

Anyway since we are on this topic I have gotten 2 impressions returned to me after they were done and I still have them in my desk drawer. I remember putting one of them one a few months back and they fit just like it should. If the impressions shrink any it is very minor and I doubt it is an issue.

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #1,706 of 7,417
I am like many of you patiently waiting for my re-shells to come home. I sent my TF-10 off at they received them Feb 22. Excited to finally use my TF-10 since I did not like how they stuck out of my ears and fit was not good for me. I went with translucent black and clear tips and I have Oregon State artwork. I can not wait to see the pics.

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #1,707 of 7,417
I'm extremely tempted to upgrade to a pair of 1964's, but i've got a couple of questions first.

I've owned my TF 10's for a couple of months and I love everything about them, except the fit. Which pair of 1964's are similair to the TF10's? Looking at the prices and reading most of the reviews on here, i'm leaning towards the Duals or Triples, so hopefully it's either of those.

How well can they reproduce artwork on the face of the IEM? I'm tempted to get either the cover of Mogwai - Young Team (attached) or Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun (my avatar). And is that considered a "simple engraving" or "custom artwork"?

All feedback is helpful, cheers guys, and I'll definitely post pics/reviews

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #1,708 of 7,417

Quote:
I'm extremely tempted to upgrade to a pair of 1964's, but i've got a couple of questions first.

I've owned my TF 10's for a couple of months and I love everything about them, except the fit. Which pair of 1964's are similair to the TF10's? Looking at the prices and reading most of the reviews on here, i'm leaning towards the Duals or Triples, so hopefully it's either of those.

How well can they reproduce artwork on the face of the IEM? I'm tempted to get either the cover of Mogwai - Young Team (attached) or Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun (my avatar). And is that considered a "simple engraving" or "custom artwork"?

All feedback is helpful, cheers guys, and I'll definitely post pics/reviews

I would assume that art would be considered "custom artwork", and simple engraving would be limited to something like your initials or the name "David" or something, in white, in a simple font. But I could be wrong. You'd need to email them or call and ask.

Have you considered just getting your TF10 reshelled instead of going for a whole new custom? Since you already know and love their sound, that might be an economical way to go. If not I think the Triples are sonically fairly close, without the missing midrange that the TF10 can have. 

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #1,709 of 7,417
I would assume that art would be considered "custom artwork", and simple engraving would be limited to something like your initials or the name "David" or something, in white, in a simple font. But I could be wrong. You'd need to email them or call and ask.

Have you considered just getting your TF10 reshelled instead of going for a whole new custom? Since you already know and love their sound, that might be an economical way to go. If not I think the Triples are sonically fairly close, without the missing midrange that the TF10 can have. 

Yeah i expected as much with the artwork.

I did consider reshelling, but then thought, that's just spending $200 on a pair of headphones I already own, I'd much rather spend the same amount, if not a little more, on something brand new. I think i'm willing to risk it. And most people agree with you and seem to think that the Triples are the closest if not better. I think that's my answer

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #1,710 of 7,417

Quote:
Yeah i expected as much with the artwork.

I did consider reshelling, but then thought, that's just spending $200 on a pair of headphones I already own, I'd much rather spend the same amount, if not a little more, on something brand new. I think i'm willing to risk it. And most people agree with you and seem to think that the Triples are the closest if not better. I think that's my answer

That makes sense. Expanding further on that, if you get the customs and love them, you might end up selling the TF10 and making some money back that way. 

I personally find the 1964-T on another level altogether compared to the TF10, but perhaps that is limited by my hatred for their fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back