1964 Ears
Mar 6, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #1,636 of 7,417

Quote:
... it seems like it would be a good strategy for 1964 Ears to start by saying "We are looking at a 4-5 week timeframe for building new orders" and then if it happens to be sooner, the customer will be pleasantly surprised. The difficult thing is that they need to continue to keep up with current demand (which might be staggering for them at the moment), while at the same time maintaining a level of service where people will be willing to recommend them in the future. That's a hard thing to balance. 

Yes, that might be a good strategy, actually, but I wonder how potential customers would feel if they actually knew that some of the competition were building and shipping their customs to customers much faster these days (Westone/ JH Audio, and possibly UE). For some, I guess, this might not be a big deal (4-5 weeks waiting time) as long as there's more transparency on the part of the manufacturer; others may feel that they're willing to pay extra for their IEMs to be made and delivered 2/3 weeks earlier plus having the reassurance they'd be coming from companies which are already well established (particularly Westone & UE, who've been around for a long time now).

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #1,637 of 7,417
Thanks for the response vinnievidi, much appreciated! I wasn't expecting a detailed review, but really was wondering if there were any attributes that were night and day b/w the two that were obvious to you. I look forward to hearing a more detailed review at a later point.

Quote:
To give an honest comparison, I'd have to be able to switch between the W4 and Quads; hopefully I'll be able to do that in April when I see my brother again.  From memory though, the most glaring difference would be that the W4 had more sparkle.  I don't remember the W4 being as sibilant as the W3 (again, going on memory), but its highs seemed to be a bit more tipped up than the the highs of the Quads.  Truthfully, that's what stood out most to me.  To compare soundstage, bass, and mids, etc. I'd have to listen to them again with the Quads in hand.  

I do remember thinking that if I knew that I wouldn't have my Quads finished by the time the W4 came out (they were stolen in the mail when first sent to me, then I sent them back twice for refits) I probably would have gotten the W4 instead, saving a couple bucks and some time.  Also, I am not complaining about the time issue, 1964 Ears has been very good to me and very prompt, I am just talking about the convenience of owning universals--they work right out of the box.

With that said though, I do appreciate a custom mold and a removable cable (I had 2 pairs of W3 fail due to the cable).   

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #1,638 of 7,417

Quote:

Yes, that might be a good strategy, actually, but I wonder how potential customers would feel if they actually knew that some of the competition were building and shipping their customs to customers much faster these days (Westone/ JH Audio, and possibly UE). For some, I guess, this might not be a big deal (4-5 weeks waiting time) as long as there's more transparency on the part of the manufacturer; others may feel that they're willing to pay extra for their IEMs to be made and delivered 2/3 weeks earlier plus having the reassurance they'd be coming from companies which are already well established (particularly Westone & UE, who've been around for a long time now).

That's probably true as well. I personally don't see the point in reading up on all the options, choosing one, saving money, going to get impressions done, only to get impatient about a few extra weeks of waiting (on a custom made product no less!) but I can see why some people have a hard time with it. I still think it would be much easier to swallow if you were prepared in advance.

Westone, JH, and UE are large enough and well established enough that they can afford to have plenty of staff on hand. Even so, I've personally experienced longer than promised wait times with some of them too, within the last few years (when they were already big names in the game). I'm sending impressions to Westone this week so I'll soon find out how long they are taking these days. 

I think it's interesting that some full size headphones are kind of in the same boat with respect to wait times (LCD-2, Edition 10). Whether it is caused by custom molding or just plain back order/supply out pacing demand, people have spent more time waiting recently. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #1,639 of 7,417

Quote:
Westone, JH, and UE are large enough and well established enough that they can afford to have plenty of staff on hand

JHA doesn't seem to fit the bill there.  If anything they seem to be too concerned w/ staying small at the expense of their CS.

Mar 6, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #1,640 of 7,417

Quote:
That's probably true as well. I personally don't see the point in reading up on all the options, choosing one, saving money, going to get impressions done, only to get impatient about a few extra weeks of waiting (on a custom made product no less!) but I can see why some people have a hard time with it. I still think it would be much easier to swallow if you were prepared in advance...

I mostly agree with you there. However, one mustn't forget the waiting time in the not so unlikely event of any re-fits. I personally had to have 3 re-fits (!) with my ES3X, that's 4 sets! And I had to send a second set of ear impressions, and I'm based in Europe. Now, 1964 will give you 30 days for any re-fits you may need, Westone offer 90 days, that's 3 times as much for something that is critical when we talk about customs. Of course, 3 refits is not the norm, but 2 refits is not all that uncommon, either, let alone one re-fit. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #1,641 of 7,417
Wasn't it confirmed earlier in the thread that you have 30 days to contact them about fit issues, not that it all has to be done in 30 days.

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #1,643 of 7,417

Quote:
JHA doesn't seem to fit the bill there.  If anything they seem to be too concerned w/ staying small at the expense of their CS.

I'll take your word on that (sounds like there are a few stories there....). I haven't kept up with them as much, but I was under the impression they had grown, although not the the size of UE/Westone of course. They certainly seem to endorse a lot of artists. 

Quote:

I mostly agree with you there. However, one mustn't forget the waiting time in the not so unlikely event of any re-fits. I personally had to have 3 re-fits (!) with my ES3X, that's 4 sets! And I had to send a second set of ear impressions, and I'm based in Europe. Now, 1964 will give you 30 days for any re-fits you may need, Westone offer 90 days, that's 3 times as much for something that is critical when we talk about customs. Of course, 3 refits is not the norm, but 2 refits is not all that uncommon, either, let alone one re-fit. 

Refits are sort of the unspoken danger of getting customs. Everybody hopes it won't happen to them. But I always advise people to assume you'll need at least 1, and maybe more. I guess it is analogous to universal IEM tips not fitting well, but at least the customs should eventually work out. 3 refits.... wow that doesn't sound fun. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #1,644 of 7,417
Quote:
^^  Well, of course the whole thing can't usually be done in 30 days and I believe rawrster just sent his T's in just before the 30-day limit.

Well if it doesn't have to be finished in that time period then what does it matter?  I've never had customs (yet) but I can't imagine it taking an extra 60 days to discover that you need a refit in the first place.

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #1,645 of 7,417
I saw somewhere that if you contact them before the 30 day period refits from that point on until the problem is solves will not cost you anything other than shipping to them. Of course if you contact them and send it a month later that probably wouldn't go over too well :p

I contacted them a few days before the 30 day period and I believe my package arrived at around when the 30 day period would be up so it wouldn't have mattered either way for me.

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #1,646 of 7,417
Got told by Aleksey, that my customs will ship by tuesday.
But since I asked them to refund me the $75 for the rush build, I'm curious if they will just take their time with the assembly now.

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #1,647 of 7,417

Tuesday? There goes your $75 i guess? I've made payment and full order was on received on 7th or 8th Feb but receive no news today. so if you receive yours on tue... its a rush build.  

Quote:
Got told by Aleksey, that my customs will ship by tuesday.
But since I asked them to refund me the $75 for the rush build, I'm curious if they will just take their time with the assembly now.

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #1,648 of 7,417
I just want to clarify since my name got tossed out there a couple of times that I do not feel that my triples are by any means late.  This upcoming Friday will mark the 20 business days fom payment.  I was simply trying to point out that those who sent payment in early February are not late yet, and that I too had ordered the triples.  I have nto communicated with 1964 since I have sent my payment and do not plan to do so until at least next week when I may ask what the time frame is for delivery.  I have plenty of other quality IEMs to hold me over and have no problem waiting for a product if it is going to be high quality and customized to my liking.

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #1,649 of 7,417
Well, I placed and paid for my order and had my impressions with them by Feb 4th, have chased them at 15 and 20 business days, and have now been told that I will hopefully have them by the end of the week, this is after previously being told that they would be shipped out by Monday. I really wish they would have just had the decency to let me know this in the first place. I can understand small delays, but just keep me informed!
I just hope when I eventually do receive them, they will be worth the wait! I will say however though, that every email I have sent to them has been answered the same day!

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #1,650 of 7,417
I got an email earlier saying that my 1964-T has been shipped. They received it exactly one week ago and that would make it 5 business days. Hopefully everything works out and I can get working on my next custom. The way they sent the package is a bit strange however. They used express and insured. It says guaranteed delivery on Wednesday by 12PM so I'll get it on Thursday since I work that day and I would have to pick it up unless it is delivered tomorrow which is unlikely but I will find out soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back