1964 Ears
Feb 26, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #1,531 of 7,417

Quote:
You've spent quite some time with customs, so any advice on how to assess fit for the long-term within the first 30 days?  I think I remember you saying something about "if you can eat without losing seal" somewhere in the last 101 pages.  

Something to keep in mind is that all ear canals are different. Some people experience an expansion of the inner canal when they open their mouth wide. Others experience a contraction. Some people even have different reactions in each ear. Some people have very expressive faces where a smile greatly moves their ears. Others not at all. So it is different with each person. I also think that is why we see different instructions for impressions; for some people open mouth is key, for others closed mouth might be better.

All I can say for sure is that in my case, I can't get an unbreakable seal no matter what I do. My canals open widest with a wide open jaw, but even taking impressions that way, I still break the seal slightly when I wear my customs and open extremely wide. The good part is that when I close my mouth the seal is restored. So I guess it isn't completely breaking it. Still, this means that I have a comfy fit and a nice seal 99.9% of the time.

I'd start by wearing them for a short period of time, and then increasing it a bit the next day, and so on until you have worked your way up to wearing them for long periods of time. Note any discomfort that persists after a week or 2. Expect a good tight fit most of the time, but also be aware that some people (like me) aren't made for that. But it shouldn't feel loose or delicate when you are listening closed mouth or slack jawed. After 2 weeks of critical use, I'd assess the situation and see if it is something you feel you can live with, or if you feel there should be improvement. If so, contact the dealer/maker and start talking refit.

EDIT I didn't see Rawrsters post, but I agree with him: pain that persists past the initial breaking in period is not normal. Your ears initially object to having an object inserted like that, and some mild aching or discomfort is pretty normal, but it should subside after a week or 2 of solid use. Sharp unbearable pain is never acceptable though; you are either inserting them wrong or they are made wrong.

Feb 27, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #1,534 of 7,417

Quote:
just a quick question, how do i determine if the seal of a custom is good enough ?

In a nutshell, it should be a tight enough fit where it never feels like it is slipping out or needs to be adjusted. It should not be so tight as to cause pain, once your ears are used to it (maybe after 2 weeks or so). If you push them deeper into your ears, and it sounds better, but then you let go and the sound gets worse, then you are not achieving a good enough seal (or maybe the stems need to be longer). You should be able to open your mouth reasonably wide, smile, talk, or generally make faces without completely losing seal.... although you might somewhat break the seal, it should restore itself when your mouth/face goes back to normal. If not, then you probably need a refit.  

Feb 27, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #1,536 of 7,417

Quote:
just a quick question, how do i determine if the seal of a custom is good enough ?

Here's a pretty good Audio Seal Test from Sensaphonics: http://www.sensaphonics.com/test/index.html

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #1,537 of 7,417

Quote:
I paid for my Quads yesterday. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm in the UK so I probably won't be seeing (or hearing) them for at least 3-4 weeks. I just hope they don't rush them or use 'the new guy' on mine as I will be sending them back if I'm not happy with the build and that's going to be annoying both in terms of postage costs and time. I'm requesting some pretty complex customisations too so I'm hoping these will come out well.

I'm coming from a relatively novice background when it comes to IEMs although I have had experience of custom ACS tips on Westone 3s and Sennheiser IE8s. Apart from those I have RE0s and CX300s which I never really use anymore. For home I have AKG K701, Alessandro MS-1s and Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. I should really put these in my sig!

Anyway, I'm hoping these will sound as good as some say they do because customs are exactly what I want in terms of comfort, isolation and having replacable cables but $1000+ is out of my price range. If they sound rubbish, I'm coming after you ericp10!

I also bought mine from the UK, I had an email from them on the 4th of Feb saying that they had recieved them, I chased them after 15 working days, to which they added another 4, so I should have them finished by the end of the week. Then I just need to get the buggers through customs!

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #1,539 of 7,417
I'm yet another UK buyer.

Only just made the 1st March deadline for free shipping.  It took my impressions 3 weeks to reach them.

Now for the possible 6 week wait to get my hands on them. Can't wait.

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #1,541 of 7,417

Quote:
Thanks for the link !

But i have just sent my earphones back ): shucks.

I wouldn't worry about it. From what you mention before, they were not achieving a great seal. So even if the Sensaphonics sound test sounded decent/perfect, you probably still made the right choice by sending them back. Comfort is a huge factor, just as big as sound quality. Hopefully it only takes one refit for a perfect fit.

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #1,543 of 7,417
I received my Quads on Friday after having sent them back for a refit.  After listening to them on-and-off throughout the weekend, I believe that they are really a fantastic IEM for the price.  Too bad that they are going back for (hopefully) one last refit.  The part where it presses against the anti-helix is causing excessive pain in my right ear.  After 20 minutes of use, I can't touch my ear without feeling a lot of soreness.  The thing that makes me most upset about having to send them back again is that my brother just picked up a pair of Westone 4 and is coming by this coming weekend and I was hoping to do a side-by-side comparison.  

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #1,544 of 7,417

Quote:
I received my Quads on Friday after having sent them back for a refit.  After listening to them on-and-off throughout the weekend, I believe that they are really a fantastic IEM for the price.  Too bad that they are going back for (hopefully) one last refit.  The part where it presses against the anti-helix is causing excessive pain in my right ear.  After 20 minutes of use, I can't touch my ear without feeling a lot of soreness.  The thing that makes me most upset about having to send them back again is that my brother just picked up a pair of Westone 4 and is coming by this coming weekend and I was hoping to do a side-by-side comparison.  

Awesome.  I'm really looking forward to that.  They're natural competitors at their respective price points. 

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #1,545 of 7,417
Umm.. I actually paid for rush build because I wanted to have my quads by the end of the week but I haven't heard anything from them yet.
Payment has already been made on the 22nd.. so it's almost a week now! :O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back