1964 Ears
Jul 22, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #5,146 of 7,417
Setup: DX50,JDS labs C5

Comparisons: UM Mentor, Sennheiser 598

Songs: Daft Punk Random Access Memories album, Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon album, Symphony X The Odyssey, Rachmaninov's Symphony #2 in E minor

Initial impressions of the V8:

Wow, that bass. I usually listen to Pink Floyd, Daft Punk and Symphony X with bass boost on the C5 set to medium / high depending on the song. With the V8s, I've left that untouched and there is just so much bass. The highs and mids on these aren't sparkly like the Mentor, and the sound stage isn't wide like the 598.

The fit is good, seals well, and overall the construction looks and feels good.

The translucent pink didn't turn up as I expected and seem more like an opaque colour, but aside from that, they are pleasing to look at. Pictures to come soon.

Songs it worked well with: Daft Punk's, Symphony X, metal in general. No surprises here. I found that it actually brought more depth to a lot of Daft Punk's songs. Metal and hard rock is what I got these for and they have not disappointed. It feels like an actual metal / rock concert and not analytical.

Songs it disappointed: Pink Floyd's. I actually found the bass overbearing and some songs were fairly muddy.

Songs that surprised me: Symphony in E - I was honestly expecting the V8s to clash with classical. After all, who listens to classical with bass boost on? However, what the V8 has actually done is given the song a lot of presence (depth, you could say?). You can hear the double bass thump clearly, and you can make out those soft sections where they were fading away to pianissimos. While the warmness of the IEMs did not give the mids and highs the sparkly brightness, the clarity is there. In fact, these make it seem like you're almost right in front of the orchestra, getting the full brunt of all the soundwaves from the instruments.

Good uses: Travelling on a vehicle. I usually have to turn up the bass boost to drown out the low noises in noisy planes / buses / cars with loud exhausts.

Recommend against: Female vocals, mid-centric songs, songs with few parts

Overall, I am pleased with my purchase. Don't be mistaken, I feel the V8s should not be used across all genres as a general purpose IEM. But if you're looking to make your metal / rock songs come alive and feel like you're listening to the bands live, most definitely yes. If you're a basshead, I don't see why you should have any hesitation in getting these.

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #5,148 of 7,417
judging from the pictures, you took it with HTC one (m7) 
tongue.gif

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #5,150 of 7,417
Jul 22, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #5,154 of 7,417
  Will a DAP improve SQ?

ofcuz, I have the Htc one m7, getting the ibasso dx90 showed how significant they can be especially with good phones.

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #5,156 of 7,417
  I just got my V3 2 days ago and they are fantastic!! I wonder how they compare to other 3 driver IEMs, I do enjoy them more than my old Westone 3s and they are comparable to the Alpha Dogs

This is great info, thanks. It gives me an idea of the V3 sound as I have been considering those along with the Qi as this would be my first custom. I think anything I pick will be an upgrade from my 4R. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #5,157 of 7,417
  Setup: DX50,JDS labs C5

Comparisons: UM Mentor, Sennheiser 598

Songs: Daft Punk Random Access Memories album, Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon album, Symphony X The Odyssey, Rachmaninov's Symphony #2 in E minor

Initial impressions of the V8:

Wow, that bass. I usually listen to Pink Floyd, Daft Punk and Symphony X with bass boost on the C5 set to medium / high depending on the song. With the V8s, I've left that untouched and there is just so much bass. The highs and mids on these aren't sparkly like the Mentor, and the sound stage isn't wide like the 598.

The fit is good, seals well, and overall the construction looks and feels good.

The translucent pink didn't turn up as I expected and seem more like an opaque colour, but aside from that, they are pleasing to look at. Pictures to come soon.

Songs it worked well with: Daft Punk's, Symphony X, metal in general. No surprises here. I found that it actually brought more depth to a lot of Daft Punk's songs. Metal and hard rock is what I got these for and they have not disappointed. It feels like an actual metal / rock concert and not analytical.

Songs it disappointed: Pink Floyd's. I actually found the bass overbearing and some songs were fairly muddy.

Songs that surprised me: Symphony in E - I was honestly expecting the V8s to clash with classical. After all, who listens to classical with bass boost on? However, what the V8 has actually done is given the song a lot of presence (depth, you could say?). You can hear the double bass thump clearly, and you can make out those soft sections where they were fading away to pianissimos. While the warmness of the IEMs did not give the mids and highs the sparkly brightness, the clarity is there. In fact, these make it seem like you're almost right in front of the orchestra, getting the full brunt of all the soundwaves from the instruments.

Good uses: Travelling on a vehicle. I usually have to turn up the bass boost to drown out the low noises in noisy planes / buses / cars with loud exhausts.

Recommend against: Female vocals, mid-centric songs, songs with few parts

Overall, I am pleased with my purchase. Don't be mistaken, I feel the V8s should not be used across all genres as a general purpose IEM. But if you're looking to make your metal / rock songs come alive and feel like you're listening to the bands live, most definitely yes. If you're a basshead, I don't see why you should have any hesitation in getting these.

Try to use different DAP, i tried my V8 to pair with DX 90 and it sounded so muddy that i thought this is a 300 dollars piece. When when i use a highler level DAP, everything changed. The bass wasn't overwhelming, every range was clear and beautifully done

Users who are viewing this thread

Back