1964 Ears
Jul 8, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #5,131 of 7,417
I'm coming from a crushed westone um3x. I sent them for reshelling to cosmic ears three month ago. Still waiting them. They are moving to UK lab, and seems that the prefit shells that they sent me last month were lost by courier, not cosmic fault. So, in a moment of mental madness, I have spend more than 1700$ in less than 30 minutes xDD

Holy crap. I am really impatient.. I waited a month rushed order and i thought that was long....

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #5,132 of 7,417

Haha. the wait is amazingly long whenever you purchase any headphone... lol getting my audeze LCD2.2s tomorrow ( HOPEFULLY ). Can't wait. 

However the V8s... oh man these are heavenly amazing. Best investment in my audio purchase history. If your coming from non-bass heavy IEMs / Headphones be careful for your initial impression because I feel after some burn-in ( or could be my ears getting used to the sound signature ) they sound amazing. They still keep mids and highs beautifully done, but would like somewhat the mids even more forward ( personal preference ).

I got my Quads back in late January for stage use.. being a bass and guitar player. Have used them quite a bit since then, and they are awesome for live use.. plenty of bass, not over-powering, great sound stage and super wide dispersion and easy identification with a stereo mix... However, the feedback on the v8's has been so awesome that I'm jonesing for a set.. but will have to wait until the budget can support it...  

Anyone know what the re-sale potential is on any of the CIEM's frm 1964? How does that work, given they don't fit anyone else and probably need remolds.. ???

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #5,133 of 7,417

I got my Quads back in late January for stage use.. being a bass and guitar player. Have used them quite a bit since then, and they are awesome for live use.. plenty of bass, not over-powering, great sound stage and super wide dispersion and easy identification with a stereo mix... However, the feedback on the v8's has been so awesome that I'm jonesing for a set.. but will have to wait until the budget can support it...  

Anyone know what the re-sale potential is on any of the CIEM's frm 1964? How does that work, given they don't fit anyone else and probably need remolds.. ???

You have to figure it will cost $150 for a remold - and $25 to ship both ways - so that is $175 off the top of the price of a new pair - then you have to consider depreciation - so if someone can buy yours, pay for remolding and shipping back and forth - if they can save around $100-150 off new (more if it is a higher price CIEM) you might get a sale.... 

Reselling lower end CIEMs is really difficult, because you almost have to sell them for a couple hundred dollars in order for there to be a value for the potential buyer...

IMHO

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #5,134 of 7,417

etysmile.gif

I read somewhere that the stock cables can actually sound better as 1964 Ears tune their CIEMs using the stock cable. Does make sense. I haven't tried any aftermarket cables myself though. Just reiterating what I've read.

Actually, I have NT6 also, and for kicks swapped the cables to my V3 noticed my treble has lifted.  I know how the impedance graph should look, so my guess is that my NT6 cable is more efficient or it has lower impedance.  I know cable will make a difference as the 1964s have very low impedance and I thinking the treble impedance probably dips enough to be affected by the cable.  With multi-BA impedance will affect the treble.  Mine sound brighter, and the treble has more fineness to it so it resolutes more. I looked at the V3 graph and it looked like it needed a boost in the treble region, and low impedance cable would help. I don't know if all this is placebo, but my thinking seems very reasonable and logical with the evidence provided.  [Edit] Went back to stock as I've notice it didn't sound accurate with Daft Punk RAM.  
frown.gif

Here is some background for my stance on cables.

Hi joe, thanks for responding to my question. Impedance is not always resistance.  Impedance is more general term that could mean, capacitance, inductance, resistance, or combination of.  If you look at the impedance graph, you will see peaks, they are shaped by the reactive(capacitance, inductance) parts in the drivers that we call resonance points.  

If you look at the top graph, impedance is flat, which means it's pretty much resistive, which means capacitance or inductance is very negligible.  What you are seeing with the bottom two graphs which is power transferred to the load(the NT6) through the cable.  Since the cable's impedance dips down as low as 8ohms at the treble frequency, if 2.4 ohms cable is used, you will lose more than 20% of power transfer, which will translate to less treble output.  Why this is significant is, if you look at the graph, some frequencies has barely any loss because compared to the impedance value at the frequency, it's negligible, but at the treble it's enough to drop 20% of power.  So therefore, FR will change with the 2.4ohm cable. 

Given what I see from Rin's graphs, I would have to conclude, it's basically adding small amount of resistance between the output of the source and the headphone.  I will have to conclude that the Whiplash cable is nothing more than resistance added to the system.  Curious what the value is?  

k32qEom.jpg

shwl: Nordost 7N, OCC-7N silver-plated
rubin: Hidition old stock, Hidition new stock, 5N copper, DIYer(fate)'s flourescent cable, Nordost 7N
udauda(Rin): $20 Furutech cable from Ebay, Ultimate Ears stock

My friends have sent me seven cables for this analysis, and my two cables are added to the pot. As expected, the OCC-7N silver plated cable and the Ebay furutech have the highest conductance, while rubin's Nortost 7N performs worse than others, indicating my friend rubin has been completely scammed.

Ow8aW5p.jpg

And the actual electrical conductivity of each cable goes like this:

OCC-7N > Furutech > UE stock > shwl's Nordost 7N > New Hidition stock > 5N > Old Hidition stock >  Fate's DIY flourescent cable > rubin's Nordost 7N

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #5,135 of 7,417
Hey guys, I'm making the jump into the CIEM territory. I began looking at the JH5, but 1964 ears caught my interest. I mainly have full sized headphone experience. I am going to put in a demo request, and I was thinking the Qi and v6 model based on this thread. I'd like to stay under $650. The only decent IEM's I own currently are the Westone 4R's. I have been debating re-shelling the 4R's or just put that money towards a custom and just leave them universal? From what I have read, either would be an upgrade to the 4R. I am looking for a good all a rounder to use with rock/electronic/pop/reggae/etc. Sources will vary, but mainly MOG via my phone, laptop > lossless > ALO International, and sometimes a Sansa clip+. I like the bass to extend low, quick and tight and present. Full can wise I have the HE-500's w/ jerg pads, D5000, Mad Dog's w/ Alpha pads (I'd like more bass), and HD600 for and idea on my sound preference . On the bass head end of the spectrum, I have the ATH Pro 700Mk2's which are too bass heavy for me at times. Any suggestions are appreciated. I spoke w/ Alex at 1964 Ears and he recommended the Qi's. Thanks

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #5,136 of 7,417
  Hey guys, I'm making the jump into the CIEM territory. I began looking at the JH5, but 1964 ears caught my interest. I mainly have full sized headphone experience. I am going to put in a demo request, and I was thinking the Qi and v6 model based on this thread. I'd like to stay under $650. The only decent IEM's I own currently are the Westone 4R's. I have been debating re-shelling the 4R's or just put that money towards a custom and just leave them universal? From what I have read, either would be an upgrade to the 4R. I am looking for a good all a rounder to use with rock/electronic/pop/reggae/etc. Sources will vary, but mainly MOG via my phone, laptop > lossless > ALO International, and sometimes a Sansa clip+. I like the bass to extend low, quick and tight and present. Full can wise I have the HE-500's w/ jerg pads, D5000, Mad Dog's w/ Alpha pads (I'd like more bass), and HD600 for and idea on my sound preference . On the bass head end of the spectrum, I have the ATH Pro 700Mk2's which are too bass heavy for me at times. Any suggestions are appreciated. I spoke w/ Alex at 1964 Ears and he recommended the Qi's. Thanks

Go with Qis, V8s out of your price range and also might be too bass heavy for you. If you have the current budget, I would honestly jump into the CIEM field. Great experience and is very unique as its not like any other audio product. I personally have the V8s and at first, thought it was too bass heavy, but after a week or two, I believe my ears tuned to the frequency and sound signature. I did not get a demo unit as well. But I am sure youll be extremely happy about the Qis. I come from using the LCD2.2s, HD650s and DT990 250ohms.

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #5,137 of 7,417
vabch22,

FWIW, after having (and really enjoying) the V6-Stage universal for several months I thought I would try some full-size headphones. Currently I have the Beyer T1 and the New HE-560. The V6-Stage are easily holding their own against the big cans. T1 is going back. I'm holding back judgment on the HE-560 until I can put some more hours on them.

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #5,139 of 7,417
  Go with Qis, V8s out of your price range and also might be too bass heavy for you. If you have the current budget, I would honestly jump into the CIEM field. Great experience and is very unique as its not like any other audio product. I personally have the V8s and at first, thought it was too bass heavy, but after a week or two, I believe my ears tuned to the frequency and sound signature. I did not get a demo unit as well. But I am sure youll be extremely happy about the Qis. I come from using the LCD2.2s, HD650s and DT990 250ohms.

Thanks for the comparisons. I almost wish I started researching before the July 1st price increase. I've always started small but somehow always end up on the middle or top tier in the end so I should just save myself the money to begin with. :) I keep flip flopping between the Qi and V6S. I may just have to wait to demo them, but it will be awhile. This is the worst part... the wait and knowing once I decide on one I have to wait another 5-6 weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to get a hold of Alex tomorrow and pick his brain.

vabch22,

FWIW, after having (and really enjoying) the V6-Stage universal for several months I thought I would try some full-size headphones. Currently I have the Beyer T1 and the New HE-560. The V6-Stage are easily holding their own against the big cans. T1 is going back. I'm holding back judgment on the HE-560 until I can put some more hours on them.

Great, thank you. That helps me a lot to get an idea of the sound signature. I love my HE-500's, one of the best choices I made last year. I just can't lug them around too easily. :) I'd be interested in your impressions on the HE-560, shoot me a PM once you have some time with them.

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #5,143 of 7,417
An 'advertisement' for 1964Ears build quality; 15 minutes ago I dropped one of my earpieces onto a hard dining room floor from about 3 & a bit feet (breakfast bar) height, and watched in horror as it bounced several times before coming to rest. I was shaking as I picked it up & then fired up my AK100, fearing the worst I put the earpieces in my ears & hit the play button...

And the earpiece in question works normally.

To say I dodged a bullet would be an understatement given I had pretty much resigned myself to an expensive repair. 1964Ears certainly make them tough.

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #5,144 of 7,417
An 'advertisement' for 1964Ears build quality; 15 minutes ago I dropped one of my earpieces onto a hard dining room floor from about 3 & a bit feet (breakfast bar) height, and watched in horror as it bounced several times before coming to rest. I was shaking as I picked it up & then fired up my AK100, fearing the worst I put the earpieces in my ears & hit the play button...

And the earpiece in question works normally.

To say I dodged a bullet would be an understatement given I had pretty much resigned myself to an expensive repair. 1964Ears certainly make them tough.

They're made for touring musicians so they better be tough.
I accidentally made mines fly at the wall and now there's a little dent...in the wall. Don't go abusing it though!

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #5,145 of 7,417
They're made for touring musicians so they better be tough.
I accidentally made mines fly at the wall and now there's a little dent...in the wall. Don't go abusing it though!

Yep you'd reckon some touring musicians would put monitors through the wars. Absolutely. I mean I was ridiculously careful before this happened & it doesn't take much of a lapse in concentration, now I'll be bordering on paranoid :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back