1964 Ears
Jul 9, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #6,961 of 7,417
I'll relate something very odd that happened to me regarding fedex. 

I had to have my impressions redone several times before they were accepted by 1964.  With my last batch of impressions I went to the fedex store right after having them made.  I paid cash and had them shipped in a waterproof padded envelope which I bought at fedex.  I stupidly threw my receipt in the trash can on the way out.

After the package was late, I became worried.  I called the local fedex, they could not give me a tracking number.  They said to call the outsourced tech support in india/china/mexico/wherever.  I did, they could not give me a tracking number.  It was now two days late, I was very worried.  NEITHER the national or local fedex people had ANY record of the package being in their possession, meaning it had never been scanned by the truck guy or anybody along it's route.

It arrived a few days late to 1964 ears.  How could a package go across the entire country longways and no one has a record of it being scanned anywhere or a tracking number they can give me?  Seems crazy.

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #6,963 of 7,417
It arrived a few days late to 1964 ears.  How could a package go across the entire country longways and no one has a record of it being scanned anywhere or a tracking number they can give me?  Seems crazy.

It had probably entered what the late great Douglas Adam's called the 'Someone Else's Problem' (or SEP for short) field, and they couldn't be bothered to actually find it.

Jul 10, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #6,967 of 7,417
Jul 10, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #6,969 of 7,417
Jul 10, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #6,970 of 7,417
Scattered first impressions:

Crazy comfortable. They twist right in. It's going to take a little bit getting used to how deep they go into my ear. But once in, I barely notice them. There's a "That's what she said" in there somewhere. Shells are flawless. Wood grain is gorgeous and it changes in the light beautifully. Cable is light and I don't even notice it over my ears.

Sound is so clear. Hearing details that I've never heard before, in songs that I know well. I know many have said that the bass is heavy, but I find them very balanced and musical. The bass reaches down loooooow but remains punchy and sexy. Vocals/mids are smooth and honey like. Treble, cymbals, rim-shots... so crisp but not sharp or piercing. I love hearing little vocal/breath/string details in artists voice/hands that I just haven't heard before. They're definitely not studio flat, but I didn't want them to be. Now I'm a bass player and not an audio engineer, so take this all with a grain of salt. 

Listened to thus far:
Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - Live at Radio City Music Hall (the whole album)
Adel - Rolling in the Deep
Alabama Shakes - Don't Wanna Fight
The Band Perry - Better Dig Two
Citizen Cope - Coming Back
The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow
Cream - Crossroads
Crosby, Stills & Nash - Almost Cut My Hair - Live 25th Anniversary Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Concerts
David Guetta - Titanium
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
Eagles - Hotel California
Ed Sheeran - I See Fire
Eric Church - Like a Wrecking Ball
Eric Mongrain - Percusinfa
Incubus - Aqueous Transmission
Jamey Johnson - In Color
Jay Z - Holy Grail
Jeff Beck - A Day in the Life
Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child
John Mayer - Free Fallin - Live at the Nokia Theater
Johnny Cash - Hurt

On Deck:
Katy Perry - Dark Horse
Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire
Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song
London Music Works - Requiem for a Tower
Maroon 5 - Sex and Candy
Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
Mr. Big - To Be with You
Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man
Phillip Phillips - Wicked Game
Pink Floyd - Money
The Police - Every Breath You Take
Primus - My Name is Mud
Queen - Under Pressure
Radiohead - Creep
Rage Against the Machine - Bulls on Parade
Ray LaMontagne - Jolene
Rihanna - S&M
The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
Rufus Wainwright - Hallelujah
Simon & Garfunkel - The Sounds of Silence
Skrillex - Make it Burn Dem
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Little Wing / Third Stone from the Sun
Stevie Wonder - Superstition
U2 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Usher - Yeah!
Victor Wooten - Classical Thump
The Who - Baba O'Riley
Zac Brown Band - Free / Into The Mystic

I figure this will cover my bases for now... Can't wait to use them live and see what they can do on stage!!!

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #6,971 of 7,417
Hi... I have been long time lurker on Head-Fi and this thread. Last week I order 1964 Ears V3, catching July-4 special sale. All seem to be going well with impressions received and 'approved'. So looking forward to receiving the 'phones in a few weeks. 

One interesting thing to note. I was going back to 1964 website to work on the custm design and realize that there are now only two options for shell colors; clear and solid black. I set an email to 1964 to ask why and they confirmed that these are the only two options available now, and only face plates will be fully customizable from now. I am probably one of the last customers to get the colored shells. Plus, I just checked on their facebook page and there is some mention of 3D printing technology going to be announced soon. I think these two are inter-related. 

Anyways, I wait for my 'phones :)

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #6,972 of 7,417
Hi... I have been long time lurker on Head-Fi and this thread. Last week I order 1964 Ears V3, catching July-4 special sale. All seem to be going well with impressions received and 'approved'. So looking forward to receiving the 'phones in a few weeks. 

One interesting thing to note. I was going back to 1964 website to work on the custm design and realize that there are now only two options for shell colors; clear and solid black. I set an email to 1964 to ask why and they confirmed that these are the only two options available now, and only face plates will be fully customizable from now. I am probably one of the last customers to get the colored shells. Plus, I just checked on their facebook page and there is some mention of 3D printing technology going to be announced soon. I think these two are inter-related. 

Anyways, I wait for my 'phones :)

Congrats on your order! Very interesting on the colors. Glad I got mine when I did. Not that I wouldn't have ordered from them.

Jul 15, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #6,973 of 7,417
Ultimate Ears has the same kind of thing going on now after going to 3D printing. Build time is cut drastically, but the only color available for the body is clear. Faceplates are the only part left that can be customized.

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #6,975 of 7,417
So, I'm looking at a pair of 1964ears now, after trying some Sennheiser IE800s and realizing that in ears CAN sound just as good as over ears (while also being more comfortable than I thought).

I've narrowed my search down to a couple of choices. I'm looking at the Noble K10 and the 1964ears V8. Has anyone here in this thread had a chance to listen to some K10s at some point and have the ability to offer a quick comparison?

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back