1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Mar 25, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #8,416 of 9,124
Yeah, absolutely agree!  Ken's Ref8 cable is great, got 2pin balanced version as well, need to test more.  Btw, it has 8 conductors, 4 SPC and 4 PC so it's a blend of silver plated and pure copper.

Regarding balanced terminated cable (just a general comment), there is no magic of sound improvement just by changing to TRRS vs TRS termination.  Cable material aside, the sound improvement comes from a source and its head-amp architecture.  I hear more improvement in sound and soundstage with DX200 and Opus#2 (going between BAL and SE) vs AK120ii and X5iii.

The soundstage and transparency is enormous with the Ref8. Opus#2>Balanced>Ref8>U12M15 is intoxicating. :cool:

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #8,417 of 9,124
Dana Cables is coming out with an IEM cable. I helped Dana testing the prototypes and I have the latest one in my A10 and love it. It has the same signature sound as it big brothers. I think he is going to show it at Axpona next month.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 25, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #8,418 of 9,124

Regarding balanced terminated cable (just a general comment), there is no magic of sound improvement just by changing to TRRS [balanced] vs TRS [single ended] termination.  Cable material aside, the sound improvement comes from a source and its head-amp architecture.  I hear more improvement in sound and soundstage with DX200 and Opus#2 (going between BAL and SE) vs AK120ii and X5iii.

This is an important distinction.

Thanks for bringing it up!

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #8,419 of 9,124

Yeah, absolutely agree!  Ken's Ref8 cable is great, got 2pin balanced version as well, need to test more.  Btw, it has 8 conductors, 4 SPC and 4 PC so it's a blend of silver plated and pure copper.

Regarding balanced terminated cable (just a general comment), there is no magic of sound improvement just by changing to TRRS vs TRS termination.  Cable material aside, the sound improvement comes from a source and its head-amp architecture.  I hear more improvement in sound and soundstage with DX200 and Opus#2 (going between BAL and SE) vs AK120ii and X5iii.

I notice a big difference going from SE to balanced on my FIIO X7 / AM3.  I have an adapter that takes TRRS to TRS so I'm using the same cable for comparison.

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #8,420 of 9,124
  I notice a big difference going from SE to balanced on my FIIO X7 / AM3.  I have an adapter that takes TRRS to TRS so I'm using the same cable for comparison.

Not negating your subjective impressions (how it sounds to you is indeed how it sounds for you) but did you volume match properly to within 1 dB when making the comparison?  We already know (from FiiO) that the balanced uses the same topography - just separate channels - everything duplicated.  There is the obvious difference in current output.

Crosstalk is improved (from 72 dB to 110 dB) but unless you are in absolute silence its doubtful it will be audible. Both have an impedance of 0.3 ohms, and both have distortion levels below the realms of audibility.

In my own testing, they measured and sounded the same.  One was louder - and if you don't volume match using a meter its easy to assume the volume difference is one being better than the other.

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #8,421 of 9,124

Not negating your subjective impressions (how it sounds to you is indeed how it sounds for you) but did you volume match properly to within 1 dB when making the comparison?  We already know (from FiiO) that the balanced uses the same topography - just separate channels - everything duplicated.  There is the obvious difference in current output.

Crosstalk is improved (from 72 dB to 110 dB) but unless you are in absolute silence its doubtful it will be audible. Both have an impedance of 0.3 ohms, and both have distortion levels below the realms of audibility.

In my own testing, they measured and sounded the same.  One was louder - and if you don't volume match using a meter its easy to assume the volume difference is one being better than the other.

Absolutely I level matched or it wouldn't be a fair comparison.  Not my first rodeo.  I am used to listening and shaping music as I have done this for a living for 30+ years.  I can detect if a gnat changes the way they fly.  I am shocked you couldn't hear the difference as it is not a subtle change.  Maybe you had something not correct???  If I get time Ill use my Audio Precision to take correct measurements.

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #8,422 of 9,124
Would be interested to see those measurements.  And likewise I'm shocked the difference appears that big to you. My measurements (even on cheap gear) correlate with what FiiO says about the topology - same circuits, but duplicated.  Given the difference in frequency curve when volume matched is in the "less than audible" range, and the crosstalk is not going to come into effect unless you are in a completely silent environment (and even then its debatable), anyone hearing that much difference must have super ears.  Sadly (or thankfully) I don't.

Anyway - this is O/T for the 64ears thread.  PM me with those Audo Precision results - I'd definitely be interested!

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #8,423 of 9,124
  Would be interested to see those measurements.  And likewise I'm shocked the difference appears that big to you. My measurements (even on cheap gear) correlate with what FiiO says about the topology - same circuits, but duplicated.  Given the difference in frequency curve when volume matched is in the "less than audible" range, and the crosstalk is not going to come into effect unless you are in a completely silent environment (and even then its debatable), anyone hearing that much difference must have super ears.  Sadly (or thankfully) I don't.

Anyway - this is O/T for the 64ears thread.  PM me with those Audo Precision results - I'd definitely be interested!

FIIO doesn't test or listen to the same IEM's as I do so how in the world could they show any data on this?  Obviously you don't understand how a balanced circuit works.  Channel separation (no common ground) and more current (+ & - Voltage swing) plays a large part in the way the balanced amp drives the load.
Super Ears
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #8,424 of 9,124
I was testing out the Reference 8 from ALO. It had a very positive effect on my U12. Being simple copper, I didn't expect much, but the result pleased the hell out of me. It's a better pairing than even the X6 T-Metal by plusSound.

I hate you bro. You made me lose money because of your post lolz. I will order that cable with 4.4mm. I don't think i can wait one more month to get 4.4mm cable to use with my sony.
Btw any recommendations for ear tips? I don't like foam cus it get wax stick on it easily.

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #8,425 of 9,124

I was testing out the Reference 8 from ALO. It had a very positive effect on my U12. Being simple copper, I didn't expect much, but the result pleased the hell out of me. It's a better pairing than even the X6 T-Metal by plusSound.

I hate you bro. You made me lose money because of your post lolz. I will order that cable with 4.4mm. I don't think i can wait one more month to get 4.4mm cable to use with my sony.
Btw any recommendations for ear tips? I don't like foam cus it get wax stick on it easily.

Spinfits - Slight V shaped sound
Spiraldots - Balanced sound
Choose your poison

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #8,426 of 9,124

For me, that cable was too springy and too microphonic.

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #8,428 of 9,124
There are lots of cables that are silver plated copper. Someone else made those comments too regarding that cable. It looks like a nice cable to me.

JVC Spiral Dots have been my go to tips for quite a while and that didn't change with the U12.

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #8,429 of 9,124

Spinfits - Slight V shaped sound
Spiraldots - Balanced sound
Choose your poison

What spinfit's model will fit with u12 ?

I used these. These fit the U12 snugly.

There are lots of cables that are silver plated copper. Someone else made those comments too regarding that cable. It looks like a nice cable to me.

JVC Spiral Dots have been my go to tips for quite a while and that didn't change with the U12.

The 64 Audio Premium SPC cable looks nice though I haven't personally tested it.
When I had my U12, I alternated between Spinfits and Spiral Dots depending on mood.

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #8,430 of 9,124
The a12 is so much cooler than U12s though. Custom is the way to go. The fit i got is insane and comfy and won't break the seal no matter what I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back