1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Sep 27, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #6,767 of 9,124

yay my A12 finally arrived after 2 months and 1 week! although it came with the wrong module, I opt for the B1s, but this shall do for now until the replacement modules arrive.

So it takes about 2 months to make the custom iem and for them to arrive?

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #6,768 of 9,124
So it takes about 2 months to make the custom iem and for them to arrive?

I am in Singapore, so shipment of my ear molds to 64 audio, then shipment of the completed iems probably also took some time... nevertheless they were ready within the stipulated 10 weeks I was told to expect.

so far no fit issues and s1 modules are fine as it is, though without other modules to compare, I won't know what I'm missing yet...

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #6,769 of 9,124

I'm using the comply tip that it came with. In the small plastic bag was a smaller comply, a medium sized comply and double flanged silicon tip. I just went with what was already attached.

They forgot to put the small plastic bag in the box with mine, all i got was the tips that were on them.  I was wondering if that was standard for the ones bought off Massdrop.

Im on the fence on whether or not i want to keep my U4-SEs.  I agree with your assessment that they are very balanced but there might be a bit too much at the top for my preferences.  For those who like that type of profile, they will love these.  

Sep 27, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #6,770 of 9,124
I bought 2 sets from the summer clearance and the U4SE's off massdrop. All 3 came with 3 sets of foam tips, and one set of double flange tips. Maybe 2 sets of the flange tips. Not sure as I preferred the foam.

Sep 27, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #6,771 of 9,124
My U3s that i bought at CanJam earlier this year can with the tips you described but i guess they just forgot to put them in the U4-SEs that i bought from Massdrop.  thankfully i had some extra tips for my U3s as the ones that came on it did not work for me at all.  Slightly frustrating but not a big deal int he grand scheme of things.

Sep 27, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #6,772 of 9,124
For people planning on attending Canjams and want to demo IEMs for purchase, the show floor is a noisy place and may not offer the best experience when you are trying out IEMs. I bought this hearing protector:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Earmuffs-Yellow-X2A/dp/B00CPCH86A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1475017567&sr=8-5&keywords=hearing+protection

The cup is very deep and should comfortably swallow even a huge IEM in your ears:

Sep 27, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #6,773 of 9,124
Who said it doesn't work?  It works quite well and with 15-20ohm value recommended by 64Audio.  I believe, Paul just has 75 ohm DUNU adapter handy and tested it with a very positive results on U6 and U10.  I lost my 75ohm adapter thus wasn't able to test/compare it to UE buffer jack which I also found to have a positive effect on the sound improvement of U12.

It breaks down to this.  U12 - $1599, U10 - $1399, UE buffer jack - $10 (here), DUNU impedance adapter (20/75/100 ohm) - $7.90 (here).  When you invest so much money into your IEM, another $8-$10 is a drop in a bucket with a noticeable return in sound improvement.  To have a cable with a built in impedance would be the cleanest way to move forward; but since we don't have one available, I prefer buffer jack because it's more flexible and slim without anything sticking out of headphone output of the DAP

So I received the UE Buffer Jack today. UE ships super fast. Ordered on Sunday and at my doorstep Tuesday evening. The form factor is nice...lightweight and not at all intrusive to my mobile rig.

Upon listening, I think I get the gist of what this thing does, and it was $10 well spent! First off, as expected I have to increase the volume a few clicks more than usual to get the a comfortable listening level. In doing so, I feel like the highs and lows have become more elevated in relation to the mids resulting is a still linear sound and maybe more balanced than before? Not sure, but the U10s went from neutral and listenable to smoother and more musical IMO.

Thanks to Brooko and twister6 for the guidance.

Sep 27, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #6,774 of 9,124
Got my U10 B1 module iem today. Absolutely stunned, everything I could hope for in an iem. This is out of my nexus 5, so maybe impedance is actually decently matched? Not a ton of subbass, but enough, and mid bass is punchy. Super smooth highs and great mids. Very very pleased

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else's iem body look more like a really really dark grey in bright light than black?

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #6,775 of 9,124
  They forgot to put the small plastic bag in the box with mine, all i got was the tips that were on them.  I was wondering if that was standard for the ones bought off Massdrop.

Im on the fence on whether or not i want to keep my U4-SEs.  I agree with your assessment that they are very balanced but there might be a bit too much at the top for my preferences.  For those who like that type of profile, they will love these.  

Try different comply foam tips. The smaller one that came with the package has more play in the high. The one that came default on the iem reduces it nicely making it more warm and smooth.

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #6,776 of 9,124

Very happy with this setup, Ortofon tips is really comfortable and not as veiled as default foam and double-flange tips. Still having S1 module, I have no idea how other modules sounds. Ordered B1 and the 50%-off m20, can't wait to test them out... :)

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #6,779 of 9,124

Small comparison between the three fixed modules with A12.
Source is AK100ii with no EQ and stock SE cable.
Songs tested are tracks from Metallica, Queen, and Jazz at the Pawnshop in 24/96 FLACs.
Volume set at 72/150.

S1 - The most bass-boosted. I hear an elevated subbass and midbass with satisfying rumble, note sustain and decay. Small amount of midbass bleed in some tracks, but most of the time the deep soundstage keeps instruments separated. Mids are intimate and sound full, especially the lower mids, great for male vocals. Upper mids and treble are comparatively relaxed and smooth, but you might crave a bit up top. Soundstage is the most congested of the three, relatively, and deeper than wide. I use this at night for a relaxing listen.

B1 - The most balanced. The subbass is reduced a tad, but enough to have a bit of fun with it. The midbass is still pronounced, all the way to lower mids, similar to S1. Upper mids and treble are more vibrant and airy, yet sound absolutely natural. A true treat for female vocals. Cymbals hit and decay naturally with a bit of bite. Soundstage is still deeper than wide, but definitely more air between instruments. The best all-rounder of the three. I use this for rock and modern tracks.

G1 - The U-shaped one. I love the bass in this one. Comparatively, the subbass is elevated (though not to S1 levels), and the midbass is not as strong as B1 and S1, leading to better separation and more air in the lower end for a change. The best part is, the mids are untouched, lovely! No recession to speak of. And vocals and instruments still sound natural. The treble boost though, especially when playing cymbal-heavy tracks in Metallica, can get grainy and splashy. The soundstage is wider compared to S1 and B1, and I hear no differences in depth. I use this for jazz because it's a very exciting sound, unless it's trumpet-heavy.

Overall, like the general concensus, B1 is king. But if I may, the bass of G1 combined with the mids and treble of B1 would be astounding. I'm lucky I can make out the tuning differences in the three modules. It's not as hard as cable-rolling lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back