1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Sep 1, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #6,331 of 9,124
After a couple of weeks owning a U3, now I have ordered U10 with the B1 module. Crazy...

It will be a big step up. I don't have my U10's yet but the step up from U3 to U6 is huge so I'm sure the U10s will be even better.

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #6,332 of 9,124
  Is there anyone here that can explain a little more about the difference between the A6 and A8? Is the A8 very bass heavy? Is it only for bassheads? I'm looking for "natural and flat" but with a small amount of enhanced bass. For a reference, I do like the bass in my B&W P7 

I don't have the P7 to compare to but I will say that the U6 is has very good bass, while also maintaining excellent treble and balance on all frequencies. This is using the MAM's. I haven't heard the A8's to do a direct comparison but from what I have read I would pick the A6/U6 over them.

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #6,333 of 9,124
  Who can recommend me a 2,5mm TRRS balanced cable for an U12? I don't want to pay more than 200$.

I would be very careful about an all copper cable on the A12/U12. I have a set of balanced cables made from Nucleotide wire (which I also have made for my PM-3 / HE-400i's and is great on those), but I find it MUCH too dark on my A12's or U6's. It really sounds bad, makes the bass very "muddy". I had to switch back to the factory cable while I wait for a new cable to come in.

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #6,334 of 9,124

It will be a big step up. I don't have my U10's yet but the step up from U3 to U6 is huge so I'm sure the U10s will be even better.

Nice to hear. Thanks.

Now I am more excited than ever. :)

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #6,335 of 9,124
Well I took the plunge and ordered the u4se's off massdrop. I already ordered u3's and u6's from the summer sale. I also ordered each one with a different module. S1 and B1. Coming from etymotic er4's it has been a bit of an adjustment period. But so far I'm liking them.

To the person who asked about isolation compared to the ety's. Totally different game. The ety's are definitely much more isolating. With mine in I can't hear anything external. Unless is crazy loud. The s1 module still has solid isolation, but you can hear outside noise. At first I almost thought the b1 had about the same. But I finally came to the conclusion that it does have quite a bit less. But it's such an even reduction in sound that it's less noticeable. It's not like some things where it mostly attenuated the highs more than the lows and you get a muffled sound. It's like someone just turned the "outside noise" volume down. You can hear clearly what's around you. And once music kicks in you hardly notice outside noise. I've not tried to listen to them and carry on a conversation. But it could still be difficult. At least IMO. Mostly because the sound of these is quite engaging. Anyway once the 4se's get here, and I've had some time, I'll post my thoughts.

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #6,336 of 9,124

Hi Krayon,

I know this is an older post but I happened to come across it when looking something up in this thread a couple of weeks ago. I happened to pull up this Album in Tidal after seeing your post and I can't thank you enough for the recommendation. I've since ordered the CD as well. I'm listening to other albums in their collection and really enjoying them. I will warn others that their earlier works from the 90's are metal if that's no your thing, but after 2000 the band took a turn towards Progressive Rock and I definitely recommend the above album as a starting point. I am also listening with my U6's and they sound excellent. I was also just listening to Porcupine Tree's album "In Absentia" and it sounds phenomenal with the U6's. One of my go-to albums, since you shared yours is Steven Wilson's "The Raven That Refused To Sing And Other Stories." The opening track "Luminol" is my go-to when I first start evaluating IEM's, Headphones, Amps, or DACs. Lots of dynamics, excellent symbols, piano, etc. make this a great track for evaluating gear. 

Yeah, they started as a doom metal band, and have been chaging since, but always putting some metal roots in their albums.
The Raven That Refused To Sing And Other Stories its a great album, the lates Hand.Cannot.Erase, its very well made too. I really liked it.
Fun fact Wilson had been in charge of the production of a few Anathema album's.
Glad you enjoyed this kind of music. :D 

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #6,337 of 9,124
Is there anyone here that can explain a little more about the difference between the A6 and A8? Is the A8 very bass heavy? Is it only for bassheads? I'm looking for "natural and flat" but with a small amount of enhanced bass. For a reference, I do like the bass in my B&W P7 

Go with the A6 if you want more balanced. I have the U8s and the v6 stage that I'm sending to change to A6s, but the A6s would be more balanced yet still have a very nice low end

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #6,338 of 9,124
Well I took the plunge and ordered the u4se's off massdrop. I already ordered u3's and u6's from the summer sale. I also ordered each one with a different module. S1 and B1. Coming from etymotic er4's it has been a bit of an adjustment period. But so far I'm liking them.

To the person who asked about isolation compared to the ety's. Totally different game. The ety's are definitely much more isolating. With mine in I can't hear anything external. Unless is crazy loud. The s1 module still has solid isolation, but you can hear outside noise. At first I almost thought the b1 had about the same. But I finally came to the conclusion that it does have quite a bit less. But it's such an even reduction in sound that it's less noticeable. It's not like some things where it mostly attenuated the highs more than the lows and you get a muffled sound. It's like someone just turned the "outside noise" volume down. You can hear clearly what's around you. And once music kicks in you hardly notice outside noise. I've not tried to listen to them and carry on a conversation. But it could still be difficult. At least IMO. Mostly because the sound of these is quite engaging. Anyway once the 4se's get here, and I've had some time, I'll post my thoughts.

Thanks, very useful. How does the U3/6 compare to the ER4 in terms of sound quality? 

I ordered the U10 but I'm pretty intrigued by the U4-SEs...

Sep 1, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #6,339 of 9,124

The Raven That Refused To Sing And Other Stories its a great album, the lates Hand.Cannot.Erase, its very well made too. I really liked it.

Now there is an album I can ask specific questions about.

On Luminol, my preference in the opening is fast, tight, drums and bass with some sub bass in the background. More like listening from a distance instead of front row. Does this sound like a U10 with B1 setup?

Sep 1, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #6,340 of 9,124
Thanks, very useful. How does the U3/6 compare to the ER4 in terms of sound quality? 

I ordered the U10 but I'm pretty intrigued by the U4-SEs...

I've been looking at the 64 audio line up for a while and here's how it seems they have done things. There's really only 3 or so distinct sound signatures they have gone for. With different "levels" of each sig.

U3/u6/u12. These are probably their "house" sound. They're all 3 way with an equal amount of drivers for each band. From my experiences, with each level gaining detail, clarity, and punch. They seem to have a frequency response that favors the low end and slightly decreases as you go up the spectrum. Not dark IMO, but definitely smooth and easy on the ears.

The u4/u8's have added drivers for the bass.

The u5/u10 have more drivers for the mids and highs than the lows. For a more "neutral/reference" signature.

Then there's the u2, and u4se. Not really sure where they fit other than entry level for the u2 and more of a reference sound for the u4se.

I say all that to say the u3 and u6 definitely have a familiar sound to each other. Very similar really, but the u6 does it better. Haven't heard the 12's but if they're another level up in better, they probably are quite amazing.

Now compared to the ety's there is quite a bit of difference. The ety's are much more "in your face" and 2D sounding than the 64's. But IMO that is due to their bump in the 2-3khz response. But the ety's are more instantly detailed. Not saying the 64's aren't. But they're more relaxed and laid back. The details are there. They're just not so blatantly obvious.

Where the 64's kill the ety's is in the lows/low mids. There bass is much more present and punchy than I've ever heard out of the ety's. I can listen to test tones and know the ety's get low. But they just don't have the "weight" to them like the 64's. I would like to see how the new er4xr does. They might be closer to the 64's sig.

In fact once I've tried the u4se's I will probably sell the two pairs I like the least of the 3. And then maybe buy the xr's to compare.

And not what you asked but the 64's actually remind me more of my flare r2pro's than anything else I've tried. Which isn't exactly a lot. But they have similar weight to the low end, with a smooth non-fatiguing high end and good mids. And I haven't done a direct comparison, but the flare mids might have an edge there, while the 64's win in 3D staging. I'll try and add those to the mix when I do my big comparison.

Sep 1, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #6,341 of 9,124

Is self promotion like this allowed on headfi?

any factual comments by trade members are allowed. any speculative, subjective statements that are intentionally made to promote their products is forbidden.

Sep 1, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #6,342 of 9,124
I would be very careful about an all copper cable on the A12/U12. I have a set of balanced cables made from Nucleotide wire (which I also have made for my PM-3 / HE-400i's and is great on those), but I find it MUCH too dark on my A12's or U6's. It really sounds bad, makes the bass very "muddy". I had to switch back to the factory cable while I wait for a new cable to come in.

Thanks for the advice.

Do you think I could have the same problem with an hybrid like this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818904/forza-audioworks-hybrid-series-iem-cable-extras ?

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #6,343 of 9,124
Thanks for the advice.

Do you think I could have the same problem with an hybrid like this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818904/forza-audioworks-hybrid-series-iem-cable-extras ?

Forza hybrid cable is said to have good a slightly better transparency than a standard stock cable, without adding too much warmth or brightness..

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #6,344 of 9,124
Well, I backed out of the MD drop. There's another U10 B1 available if others are still looking. Didn't really see why I need it since I'm pretty happy with my current gear. I was more concerned about my hearing, but lower volume is an easy and free solution for me. Good luck to all of you who joined the drop and hope it's everything you are all looking for.

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #6,345 of 9,124
Well, I backed out of the MD drop. There's another U10 B1 available if others are still looking. Didn't really see why I need it since I'm pretty happy with my current gear. I was more concerned about my hearing, but lower volume is an easy and free solution for me. Good luck to all of you who joined the drop and hope it's everything you are all looking for.

Not to pressure you, but the Adel tech does make a big difference in actual usage. I can listed to my Adel iems all day at work and feel normal when I take them out. With conventional iems after 1 hr of listening I get ringing and strange pressure sensations after pulling them out. FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back