1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Apr 20, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #4,862 of 9,124
Canyon, are the new cables shipping yet?

I actually looked into this yesterday after the post asking about it and received email about it this morning. The cable manufacturer has modified our cables after reviewing the worn cables that were popping up. I'm not sure when they're be arriving at 64, I'd guess within a week or two. But the hard parts already done and it's been taken care of. 

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #4,863 of 9,124
How is the bass now? would you say reduced significantly or similar to the S1?

Sub bass remains authoritative(which is not a problem for me because it stayed where it belongs and never bled into the rest of the frequencies or overpowered them), mid bass slightly reduced, treble more sparkly. Bass is reduced but not significantly so. Remember though, I have an A12, a bass heavy ciem. Short of taking the module's completely out, I doubt you could significantly change the sig with a module-or maybe you can, I don't know, I'm not a designer of these awesome little bits. The A12 isn't so veiled anymore-and that's exactly what I was after, hope that helps.

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #4,864 of 9,124
Thanks it helps. I was afraid the module would reduce bass so much it Ether C like. I sold my Ether C in favor of the U12 because the bass on the U12 made it more balanced to me. Will order a set soon.

Apr 21, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #4,865 of 9,124

So I got the B1 modules today and I thought I’d share my thoughts on these. I have the U8s, which I imagine have more bass than the A12/U12s. However, after testing these I’m of the opinion and agree with @Canyon Runner that these are perhaps more inline with what most audiophiles would prefer. There is a reduction in the quantity of bass, but not necessarily the quality of bass. It maintains a nice texture and impact. However, the reduction is not like what you get when you have a bad seal or you have IEMS with ambient ports that completely kill the bass (just try to take out the modules and you’ll see what I mean by killing the bass).

The soundstage also gets wider and you get that feeling of more openness and airiness. @IKEA1985 mentioned that the treble is a little more sparkly and I think that it’s probably, because there is simply more air and spaciousness in the mids and highs. 

I have the manual module (MAM) as well and one can also achieve this with the MAMs, but I think that for those who can get a little OCD tuning the module, this would be ideal. In addition, I just checked 64’s audio site and you can now select between the B1 and the standard S1 (more bass) module when ordering.

Another thing I was able to test was the isolation. I had a gig earlier (actually last night) and before I even had time to listen to some songs, I performed with the B1s. I didn’t check how loud it was, but I’m sure it was at least between 80 – 95 dbs. I could definitely hear more ambience and the drums actually sounded very natural (drummers would understand what I mean, because all IEMS muffle the drums). Despite the drums sounding better, I would still prefer to play with the Manuals almost closed all the way or the S1 module, as I still prefer more isolation. However, despite the ambience, I didn’t listen at higher volumes than I normally do.

I also mix for a couple bands and at church, so I know a lot of musicians prefer their mix with some ambience. If you are a drummer or a bass player, definitely I would suggest sticking to the S1 or MAM. But for singers who need to listen to the audience, or musicians who have to hear the tone of their amps (freaking guitar players, I’m talking to you) specially, I think the B1 is a better option, because of the better ambience.

So at this point, I can rank my favorite modules, as follows: 1-MAM, 2-B1 and 3-S1. The B1 is pre-set almost to the same level I hear my U8s with the MAM. The MAM will give you the flexibility of not having to change modules as often and still adjust the bass and ambience. But on the other hand, if you fear you could become a little OCD with adjusting the MAM, or fear not knowing how to adjust the MAM (it’s easier than imagined once you try it) or can’t afford the $200 for the MAM, then the B1 is definitely the best choice.  Regardless, I think the B1 hits a sweet spot most people would enjoy.  Hope that helps. 

Apr 21, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #4,867 of 9,124
  I actually looked into this yesterday after the post asking about it and received email about it this morning. The cable manufacturer has modified our cables after reviewing the worn cables that were popping up. I'm not sure when they're be arriving at 64, I'd guess within a week or two. But the hard parts already done and it's been taken care of. 

My order (via a dealer) should be with you this week, for A12. Can I expect a new cable? Is it the same for 48" and 64" cables, and both colours?
Thanks

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #4,868 of 9,124

How would we go about getting the updated cables?

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #4,869 of 9,124
Thought I'd share...

tmp_7563_20160421_1040051305710691.jpg

tmp_7563_20160421_1112111890586149.jpga

Funny but not funny story, I set mojo to blue blue because it's my favorite color. You can probably guessed what happened. Yikes! This is the second time I've done something like this, now I have a piece of tape on my macbook pro that says VOLUME CHECK. :astonished: These BA drivers can get LOUD, luckily it still sounds the same and nothing appears damaged.

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #4,870 of 9,124
Thought I'd share...

tmp_7563_20160421_1040051305710691.jpg

tmp_7563_20160421_1112111890586149.jpga

Funny but not funny story, I set mojo to blue blue because it's my favorite color. You can probably guessed what happened. Yikes! This is the second time I've done something like this, now I have a piece of tape on my macbook pro that says VOLUME CHECK. :astonished: These BA drivers can get LOUD, luckily it still sounds the same and nothing appears damaged.

That looks fantastic, we both have clear on clear without logos. Hi5!!
If I take a break from building today, I'll play photographer with my gear for a second.

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #4,871 of 9,124
  Canyon, I have A3. Can you advise on what sound experience would I get with B1 & MAM?

The modules do have slightly differing effects based on the modules they're used on.

The things that stay the same model to model, is the width of the soundstage getting wider with the B1 & even wider so with the MAM all the way open. The isolation also is less on every model when those modules are used (depending on where you set the MAM of course)

Both @eldss & @Ike1985 really nail it in their descriptions, yes those aren't on A3s I know. But jist will apply to all the models as a ballpark idea of what to expect with the b1. I haven't listened to the 3 with the new module yet, but I'd expect the flattened out bass to not be as noticeable with the 3 since it's not really overly bassy with the S1.

As for the MAM & A3 pairing, you really have more flexibility here. Again, it's not going to be like having the power to transform the sound signature to something entirely different, but you can really play around with it. The bass, mids and upper mids can fluctuate alot by twisting the thumbscrew. The bass will probably be the most noticeable at first, but if you allow yourself to listen for a good while without changing the setting, you'll probably notice the rest of the shift. Adjusting the mids is always subtle compared to the changes in bass that shakes alot and is easy to notice quickly.

I'm waiting on my demo pairs to arrive at the lab and once the 3's get here, I'll swap in both modules for you and give you a longer impressions is you'd like. Otherwise, I'll just keep them in my notebook.

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #4,872 of 9,124
How would we go about getting the updated cables?

Give it 2-3 weeks and call customer service. Unless your stock cable is worn, you're going to have to pay for the different cable. This is why I'm saying to call, rather than just ordering online. Talking to somebody will net you better results. 

Side note though, if it isn't for a "sound upgrade", I've found an Etsy shop that does custom cables for VERY reasonably affordable prices. This would let you pick your colors and ends. Probably maybe 20-30 bucks more than a stock cable. I got an interconnect to go from my Hugo to ALO CDM, for like $30 and it's fantastic quality. Top notch. I'm just saying it's a worthwhile option if you don't want to wait. I don't know head-fi's policy about linking to outside-non-sponsor-vendors but it's super easy to find on Etsy if you look.

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #4,873 of 9,124
Also got the B1 modules and have been listening to them whole yesterday and today. Personally, it changed the sound signature further from my personal preference compared to the S1, not what I was hoping for. However, the listening experience is much less stressful and is much easier to enjoy for longer periods of time. Ears relax even more with this module. Soundstage didn't change for me, it took about 30min of listening for ears to get used to it and only then the presentation started feeling wider (a side effect of more relaxed ear?). I have both A12 and U12, using one at work and other at home, and for work this module is perfect. 8+ hours of jamming each day and pressure reduction is definitely welcome.

Regarding the sound signature, my negative impression only applied to the music I listen the most - EDM and DnB. Once I started playing my "audiophile" collection, ie music with irl instruments and maybe some quality vocals, the sound signature actually changed for the better. More natural reproduction made the real-life instruments/vocals sound pretty mind-blowing. Felt the same ants on the back as when I first put on the A12's. In fact, I just might order a second set of B1's for the other pair :D

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #4,874 of 9,124
With more time today to listen than the few hours I had last night, I've got a few more comments. The S1 module makes a really fun powerful bass that is really fun on sludgy and fuzzy guitars. I miss it a little bit but I much much prefer B1. The clarity gained in the mids is way better to my ears. However, I see myself using the S1 on occasion for jam sessions :upside_down: when I care less about clarity-after I've had a few rad brews. I see myself using the B1 probably 90% of the time.

The feedback in this song scared me, especially after my accident earlier. I thought for sure I'd ruined my ciems, the feedback starts at about 3:30. It's just the song though, phew.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3oulCRHSm9c

This is super cool, for a small price we get a new sound sig.

Also, I don't think I need a Hugo for my A12's anymore now that the veil is lifted. I'm going to wait and see what Chord has up their sleeve in 16-17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back