1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Apr 12, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #4,726 of 9,124
  This isn't how I imagined buds costing literally 25x the price of my old buds would sound. I guess the market defines how they quantify how much this increment of an upgrade would cost (plus they're customs). For example, when I upgraded my car stereo from stock, only adding an Alpine head unit and polk door/rear speakers, I was wowed, and that was maybe tripling the price of what I assume the stock system would cost. These A3s cost 25x more and don't wow me nearly as much.

Unfortunately, you picked an expensive way to learn this lesson - not only is there no guarantee that higher priced gear will provide higher sound quality, any increase in quality is almost never proportional, or even anywhere near proportional, to the increase in price. Especially for portable gear. 

Your old buds must have been in the $30 range. Cheap but decent portable gear is really cheap, the price/performance is ridiculous. I can't honestly say that my FLC8s and Harmony are 30 times better than the bunch of KZ IEMs I have because those KZ's cost around 10 freaking dollars, but I know which ones I'm reaching for to listen to most of the time. It makes price-oriented comparisons to more expensive gear, and particularly to other types of gear that are vastly more expensive even at entry level (such as car audio), pretty much pointless. 

The car comparison is also different because you changed the head unit, not just the speakers. I will assume (with minimal car audio knowledge) that this is similar to changing your music source for headphones, something you have not done (or not mentioned) for your A3.

I'm interested in the Adel tech, and if they repeat their Black Friday deals this year and the manual module is available packaged with the IEMs, I will consider a U6 or higher. Even the U6 would be at least twice as much as I've spent on the above mentioned IEM (the most expensive ones I own, admittedly both purchased on sale) and I would not expect twice the performance, it just doesn't happen.

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #4,727 of 9,124
TheBeatGoesOn Sorry to read about your troubles. Bass distortion at low volumes usually means you need more power. That's always fixed it for me. My first expensive set of IEMS I loved, when from cheap stock ear buds to 1k+ IEMS and I was very pleased. Mostly due to the ridiculous increase in bass as that is one of the more obvious things to notice, especially if you are a bass lover.

Not sure where you are, but perhaps you can meet with locals to try other gear? Maybe a new source or add an amp. You'd be surprised at what adding a cheap amp can do for you. Maybe there is a meet in your area. Best of luck

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #4,728 of 9,124
I'd like to see a re-do of the 64 audio cables.  Now that we have ADEL, the ADEL module picks up sound from the cable rubbing up against things much more than typical CIEMs, a cable that minimized this would be good.

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #4,729 of 9,124
  I'd like to see a re-do of the 64 audio cables.  Now that we have ADEL, the ADEL module picks up sound from the cable rubbing up against things much more than typical CIEMs, a cable that minimized this would be good.

Unfortunately in this case the microphonics of the cable will be audible even with high end replacement cables, though not as sever.  With a stock cable your best bet is to use a shirt clip.  Other aftermarket cables, like TWau i'm using with U12, have a specially designed wooden choker to minimize L/R sides of the cable rubbing against each other.  But to prevent the cable rubbing against your cloth, you will need a shirt clip.  The effect of microphonics is a price to pay for ADEL module
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #4,730 of 9,124

typically wears cables to the back inside of shirt (just like the artistes do) with a collar clip.  hardly any microphonics and minimises the cables being yanked accidentally by the crowd while taking the train or bus.

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #4,731 of 9,124
Got my A3s a few weeks ago. These are my first exploration into CIEMs and I have a few questions for the experienced folk.

When I got my impressions done, my left ear bothered me a bit, soreness, tenderness, she really put those cotton balls deep. The IEM isn't much different. The left side will bother me sometimes. It also feels like the fit is slightly different on each side.. like the seal is stronger at a different spot or depth on the left than on the right. Also, when I tap or rub the outside of the earbud with my finger (while they're in my ears), the left side sounds more solid and insulated, more of a thump, lower pitched.. the right side has more highs.. like comparing 50 to 100hz. Idk if that's a result of the seal difference? or just that the lefts go in a millimeter deeper or however much? I'd like to get that either shaved down a little or just get new impressions. It shouldn't hurt at all. 

And what if I wanted to upgrade to the A6? Is that possible within the 30 days or no? If it's just for the sake of upgrading then I'd understand if they didn't want to chuck a perfectly fine A3. I think I can get a redo on the impressions if I'm not satisfied, but if they're going to make a whole new .. earbud? casing? (is there a better term for this?), then what would be the added expense in an upgrade from there standpoint? And if I'm just passed the 30 days, how lenient is 64? I was a part of a big group order so the exact date is iffy.. and I've honestly been too busy and stressed to call lately.

I know the A6 has a peak in the mids too, but I can't help but feel like the added bottom end would balance them out more. I just can't imagine shelling out the cash for A10s.. just not in the budget really... but if they're going to last 10+ years, it might be a smart investment. 

My opinion on the sound: note that I listened to these on my mac/itunes with WAV files, and iphone at lovely 320kbps (sarcasm). 

The graph (at least in the case of the A3), is pretty accurate. The mids are very present, the vocals are right there in my ear. It lacks thump and bottom. The highs are nice, but somewhat overcome by the mids, unless you're really listening for them. It's a great IEM for live use, for keys/guitar.. but I can't imagine being a bass player or drummer with these (get the U/A4s at least). 
I'm honestly not all that impressed. Judging from the graph, I was worried they'd lack bass, and they do. Yes, the ADEL system is awesome, the soundstage is wide, I do hear things I didn't before with crappy buds.. but 700 bucks?? This isn't how I imagined buds costing literally 25x the price of my old buds would sound. I guess the market defines how they quantify how much this increment of an upgrade would cost (plus they're customs). For example, when I upgraded my car stereo from stock, only adding an Alpine head unit and polk door/rear speakers, I was wowed, and that was maybe tripling the price of what I assume the stock system would cost. These A3s cost 25x more and don't wow me nearly as much.
A little disappointed. Should've went with the A6, though A10s look like my ideal sound signature. Ok, rant over.  Would mojo/X7/Hugo etc. make much of a difference? I feel like the sound signature is what it is. messing with EQ on itunes didn't do much. In fact, increasing bass slightly resulted in slight distortion, even at low volumes.. and cutting mids resulted in just a less than quality sound. the "rock" preset on the iphone helped with some electronic music, but overall I felt like I was losing some quality.

feedback is much appreciated. 

btw- listen to Julia Brightly by Caribou. M83 too. These gave me some "wows" with the A3s. 
first, get a refit from 64audio. I had to do this for my A3s as well. Second, what are you running your A3s out of? You mentioned iTunes so I'm assuming some Mac device. Maybe look into amps. Fiio e12a is a great amp for IEMs. Third, give your brain some time to adjust to the sound. Give them a week only of listening. You'll be surprised as to how much of the "lacking bass" and "emphasised mids" is actually just your brain not being accustomed to the sound signature.

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #4,733 of 9,124
  Twister6 , is their a model for the cable you are using. I was doing a quick search and may be looking at the wrong one

A pricey, but among the best, http://www.whiplashaudio.com/new-flagship-twau-reference-gold-plated-silver-with-new-om-over-mold-2pin.html

There are other alternative manufacturers mentioned in this thread where you can get a pure silver or silver plated cable at a cheaper price.  I think a number of people mentioned they liked Therium one: http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norne-Audio-Pure-Silver-occ-litz-ohno-continuous-cast-ciem-iem-replacement-cable-cotton-type-4-shure-mmcx-2-pin-eidolic-westone-jh-audio-aurisonics-1964-ears-custom

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #4,735 of 9,124
  Got my A3s a few weeks ago. These are my first exploration into CIEMs and I have a few questions for the experienced folk.

When I got my impressions done, my left ear bothered me a bit, soreness, tenderness, she really put those cotton balls deep. The IEM isn't much different. The left side will bother me sometimes. It also feels like the fit is slightly different on each side.. like the seal is stronger at a different spot or depth on the left than on the right. Also, when I tap or rub the outside of the earbud with my finger (while they're in my ears), the left side sounds more solid and insulated, more of a thump, lower pitched.. the right side has more highs.. like comparing 50 to 100hz. Idk if that's a result of the seal difference? or just that the lefts go in a millimeter deeper or however much? I'd like to get that either shaved down a little or just get new impressions. It shouldn't hurt at all. 

And what if I wanted to upgrade to the A6? Is that possible within the 30 days or no? If it's just for the sake of upgrading then I'd understand if they didn't want to chuck a perfectly fine A3. I think I can get a redo on the impressions if I'm not satisfied, but if they're going to make a whole new .. earbud? casing? (is there a better term for this?), then what would be the added expense in an upgrade from there standpoint? And if I'm just passed the 30 days, how lenient is 64? I was a part of a big group order so the exact date is iffy.. and I've honestly been too busy and stressed to call lately.

I know the A6 has a peak in the mids too, but I can't help but feel like the added bottom end would balance them out more. I just can't imagine shelling out the cash for A10s.. just not in the budget really... but if they're going to last 10+ years, it might be a smart investment. 

My opinion on the sound: note that I listened to these on my mac/itunes with WAV files, and iphone at lovely 320kbps (sarcasm). 

The graph (at least in the case of the A3), is pretty accurate. The mids are very present, the vocals are right there in my ear. It lacks thump and bottom. The highs are nice, but somewhat overcome by the mids, unless you're really listening for them. It's a great IEM for live use, for keys/guitar.. but I can't imagine being a bass player or drummer with these (get the U/A4s at least). 
I'm honestly not all that impressed. Judging from the graph, I was worried they'd lack bass, and they do. Yes, the ADEL system is awesome, the soundstage is wide, I do hear things I didn't before with crappy buds.. but 700 bucks?? This isn't how I imagined buds costing literally 25x the price of my old buds would sound. I guess the market defines how they quantify how much this increment of an upgrade would cost (plus they're customs). For example, when I upgraded my car stereo from stock, only adding an Alpine head unit and polk door/rear speakers, I was wowed, and that was maybe tripling the price of what I assume the stock system would cost. These A3s cost 25x more and don't wow me nearly as much.
A little disappointed. Should've went with the A6, though A10s look like my ideal sound signature. Ok, rant over.  Would mojo/X7/Hugo etc. make much of a difference? I feel like the sound signature is what it is. messing with EQ on itunes didn't do much. In fact, increasing bass slightly resulted in slight distortion, even at low volumes.. and cutting mids resulted in just a less than quality sound. the "rock" preset on the iphone helped with some electronic music, but overall I felt like I was losing some quality.

feedback is much appreciated. 

btw- listen to Julia Brightly by Caribou. M83 too. These gave me some "wows" with the A3s. 

Hey man, first off I'm really sorry to hear about that initial let down feeling. Few things are worse than that drop from excitement to feeling indifferent.

Alot of the recommendations that fellow users are giving, are spot on as you'd expect. If the molds were uncomfortable (or just one), that's how its going to feel when we build the shell to replicate the impression. So I'd send in for a refit, no sense in spending the money and having the fit irritate you. You won't find them welcoming to stick in your ears and you'll probably resent them in a sense (I know I've done that with stuff that has given me that sinking feeling). Nobody wants that, nor do we want our customers to have that. So I'd get new impressions done and send in for a refit. I'd call Alex in customer service and he'll give you even more insight to what's going on ( 503 - 746 - 8510). This way, he'll make a note on your account saying that you're having issues and are getting refits done, this way if it happens to take longer than the free refit period, you're still in the clear. That would be the best time to ask about possibly upgrading from a 3 to a 6, if you so wanted. I'm not sure on the policy of that of the top of my head, but Alex will.

As for your general thoughts on the 3s, a bunch of these guys nailed it. They're not going to be 25 times better than your current cheap IEM, even if they were, the rest of the system your using, won't be up to snuff to work with that stat. I actually can't imagine what 25 times better would be/sound like. But I can say that the A3 is a really solid IEM for it's price. I actually prefer it over the 2, 4, and 5. The 6 is a good step up, in the sense of it's much fuller sounding than the 3. Twice the drivers, makes sense.

If you're after more bass than both models are offering up, I'd say to try the 8, the 4 has a dip in mid-bass, but then delivers sub-bass in spades. That creates an odd sound signature, some people aren't a fan of it (myself included, hence preferring the 3 over the 4). But works great for drummers, bass players, DJs, etc.

If you're using a smart phone as your music source and want to continue doing that, I'd buy a Mojo to really bring out the most of your new ears. The DAC will be light years better than whats in your phone, and the amp will really help give the IEMs the juice they're craving. If you're looking for a stand alone player, Fiio is great bang for buck, but there are a number of more expensive, better options.

Hope that helps. Again, I'm sorry to hear about the poor fit and the frustration that comes with that.

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #4,736 of 9,124
today was a wonderful day, i just recieved a gift, one of my friends in usa is a friend of martin gore of depeche mode, so he sent me a signed cd with a dedication made to me

that felt so special as I adore depeche mode

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #4,738 of 9,124
Nice bro. I used to big a big Depeche Mode fan. How does it sound on your U12?

its that album specifically that I adore as its a dark album, and most songs have deep meanings

like the song sister of night, or the song bottom line

i wish they stayed on this type of music, but depeche mode changed alot, i told my friend to twist martin's ears and tell him to get back to the ultra and songs of faith and devotion era

well it sounds amazing i have the digital version, so this is just something i keep as a memory

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #4,740 of 9,124
Anyone heard both Empire Ears Zeus XIV and U12?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back