1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Apr 14, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #4,741 of 9,124
I did not audition the U12 cos I was targeting the bassier 8, but woah the midrange of the Zeus is quite unforgettable.

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #4,743 of 9,124
Anyone heard both Empire Ears Zeus XIV and U12?

I have U10, U12 and Zeus

U10 and U12 both pretty similar - still deciding which one to keep.

They have a more airy open sound and less fatiguing - but this could be due to the ADEL modules, they are pretty source picky and sometime bass heavy with some sources - e.g. AK380CU

Zeus has a fuller more immersive signature for me. If I get time I will provide a more detailed comparison but too busy ATM

My preference currently is Zeus > U12 > U10

All good top tier IEMs, worth getting thou.

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #4,744 of 9,124
Thanks for the impressions, I didn't look into other iem because I was interested in the ADEL to help protecting my hearing. But now I'm interested in other IEM as I enjoyed the U12 quite bit.

I tried the spinfit tips and preferred them to comply ones. Spinfit opens up the top end and tighten the bass on the U12, making it very well rounded. I would try spinfit before you decide on U10 vs U12.

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #4,745 of 9,124
Anyone heard both Empire Ears Zeus XIV and U12?

I have some brief impressions here http://www.head-fi.org/t/798955/canjam-singapore-2016-impressions-february-20-21-2016/150#post_12362257

Both are excellent at what they do, but for my preferences I ordered the A12.

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #4,746 of 9,124
SonicKarma, good variety what type of tips are you using with the Zeus??

a) In using the U12 with a Cayin C5 amp for example U12 tends to get very bassy. But I do agree it is less fatiguing
b) Zeus is much open sounded , soundstage and imaging are great versus the U12. However I think this is due to the modules as they are trying to reduce the pressure build up

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #4,748 of 9,124
   I forgot to mention than when I connect the Zeus to the Cayin, I do get more hiss than with the U12, but I think again this is associated to the overall tuning and the mdoules

That's due to Empire being at 8ohm I believe. I talked to Jack about it at NAMM a few months ago. Jack & Dean are both really great guys. It's nice to see them gaining support and fans as their company grows.

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #4,749 of 9,124
Thanks Canyon Runner.

I just thought the 14 drivers would like to have an amp driving them in lieu of an Onkyo or a Pionner only but maybe not. I also got concerned that the high drivers IEM's may not want to be used at high gain??.

I am assuming that the bassy behavior of the U12 with the amp on high gain may be due to the U12 modules, based on the way I understood the module was working to mitigate the sound pressure power from impacting the sensitive human hearing elements

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #4,750 of 9,124
SonicKarma, good variety what type of tips are you using with the Zeus??

a) In using the U12 with a Cayin C5 amp for example U12 tends to get very bassy. But I do agree it is less fatiguing
b) Zeus is much open sounded , soundstage and imaging are great versus the U12. However I think this is due to the modules as they are trying to reduce the pressure build up

So u r saying the Zeus have better soundstage?

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #4,751 of 9,124
  Thanks Canyon Runner.

I just thought the 14 drivers would like to have an amp driving them in lieu of an Onkyo or a Pionner only but maybe not. I also got concerned that the high drivers IEM's may not want to be used at high gain??.

I am assuming that the bassy behavior of the U12 with the amp on high gain may be due to the U12 modules, based on the way I understood the module was working to mitigate the sound pressure power from impacting the sensitive human hearing elements

I'm not really sure, honestly. I never use high gain settings with IEMs, I keep gain settings as low as I can, while still being able to hit the desired volumes. But that's just me. Right now on my desk I have LCD4s on low gain from the amp Audeze sent us (The Deckard). 

As far as the 12s, they simply have a bit more bottom end via the tuning/armature selection than the Zeus, regardless of the setting on your amp. I've only spent probably 15 minutes with those IEMs (in a loud show setting), so I'm going off memory. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #4,752 of 9,124
  Thanks Canyon Runner.

Multiple drivers IEMs have impedance swings and require a lot of current (versus the hard-to-drive headphones that require a lot of voltage that is provided by amps in general). Typically a source with low output impedance does a good job with these type of IEMs. So if you are using an amp with very low circuit noise and low output impedance (< 1 Ohm), you wont hear a hiss.

Sources with high output impedance fall short on the damping factor that can result in an IEM's Bass sounding loose or thick. The bass quantity/amplitude itself does not get boosted.

So multiple driver IEMs don't need a powerful source with high output voltage, but rather a clean source with low output impedance. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #4,753 of 9,124
  That's due to Empire being at 8ohm I believe. I talked to Jack about it at NAMM a few months ago. Jack & Dean are both really great guys. It's nice to see them gaining support and fans as their company grows.

Ok, that explains why people are finding the Zeus to be picky about the source. The other day, a member on the Zeus thread, had posted the specs for Zeus that he had gathered from Jack, Output Impedance = 21 Ohm and Sensitivity = 119 dB. So I was wondering, why it was hissing with so many sources. But at 8 Ohm, oh yeah. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #4,754 of 9,124

Ok, that explains why people are finding the Zeus to be picky about the source. The other day, a member on the Zeus thread, had posted the specs for Zeus that he had gathered from Jack, Output Impedance = 21 Ohm and Sensitivity = 119 dB. So I was wondering, why it was hissing with so many sources. But at 8 Ohm, oh yeah. 

The same with SE846 and also DN2000J
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #4,755 of 9,124
Maybe it's changed, but that's what I remember. I was warned a few times about the hiss going into the demo by multiple people, Jack said they were working on it. Hopefully they've cracked it and got it all happy now. Lawrence would know but he hasn't been posting on here for a good while now. He has a set of Zeus and knows the Empire guys pretty well.

annnnnnnnnnd back to 64 type posts....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back