1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Dec 11, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #2,867 of 9,124
Hello Kev,
I'm in the market to get some 64 ears.  I'm trying to decide between the A4s and A6s.  I am interested in your opinions on the A4 and A6 that were not covered in your post here. I'm not sure if you've posted that somewhere else.  I want some custom ADELs that are balanced, but as a bass player, I want some with a good bottom end - but not sooo much so that it overwhelms the other registers.  I've read other accounts that the A4s are just too bassy, but that the A6s are even more detailed and with a tad less preponderance of bass.  May I inquire of your opinions with the A4 versus the A6?

Thanks,
Dave 

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #2,868 of 9,124
  Hello Kev,
I'm in the market to get some 64 ears.  I'm trying to decide between the A4s and A6s.  I am interested in your opinions on the A4 and A6 that were not covered in your post here. I'm not sure if you've posted that somewhere else.  I want some custom ADELs that are balanced, but as a bass player, I want some with a good bottom end - but not sooo much so that it overwhelms the other registers.  I've read other accounts that the A4s are just too bassy, but that the A6s are even more detailed and with a tad less preponderance of bass.  May I inquire of your opinions with the A4 versus the A6?

Thanks,
Dave 

I've owned the A4 and A6. Sold the A4 though. So while I'm not Kev, maybe I can give some insight on my feelings towards them both.

A4 has explosive boomy bass. It's not a very tight punchy bass.  It's overwhelmingly powerful compared to something more balanced. The bass extended into the mids, either because it was really that intense, or because the mids were recessed it gave that impression. The highs sounded as if they were always struggling. They had a crispy (but not sibilant) likeness to them. I listen to a lot of electronic music which can be heavily sibilant on something like an HD 800. The A4 would eliminate the sibilance, but it was replaced with something a bit distorted sounding.  The A4 tried to have a fun sound signature, but fell short of that because the bass was overpowering and bleeding too far into the mids. In some cases it felt like the bass would extend into the treble.

A4 would be good if you wanted intense bass, and listened to your music loudly. I say loudly because at low volume the mids and the treble are almost non-existant. When I bumped up the volume to be loud, I could understand the appeal more. Though it was not for me, and I sold it. I understood the capabilities of the Adel series earphones though, so I wanted to stick with it, and got the A6.

The A6 sounds much more balanced than the A4. Though there is a larger emphasis on bass than I was comfortable with at first (I can say that the FR graph they posted for the A6 feels pretty accurate for how it sounds), but I've gotten used to it. The bass still retains the somewhat boomy signature the A4 had, but is more cohesive and tight. The A4's bass really sounded like two drivers working together, but both somewhat separated. The A4 gave me the impression that one driver have a deep, boomy bass that covered the bass and mid regions, while the other driver added a flair of detail to the bass and sub-bass.

The A6 mids are present and beautiful. They are very smooth and highly detailed. The treble is not sparkly, and at lower volumes can sound recessed. Bump up the volume though and everything falls into place so very well. I would say this is very musical for a balanced sound. Also, the treble stands out more than the A4, while still remaining non-sibilant. I find the A6 treble does not ever sound crispy or distorted though.

When I first got the A6 I found it to be a somewhat underwhelming earphone. The sparkle is missing, the excitement is just very toned down and warm. Over time though, I've come to greatly appreciate it. As someone who loves electronic music, not having a constant pounding of sibilance is absolutely wonderful. When the volume is turned up it comes to life, becomes very engaging, without being fatiguing. When I'm on the go or at work and don't want to disturb others (or be disturbed by them), this is something fantastic to have.

I was personally very disappointed in the A4. I would not recommend it to anyone. It tries too hard to be it's own bass monster earphone with balanced armatures, like it's trying to be something different and special, and falls flat on its face. I don't want to sound too harsh though, because I know some people love it and would easily disagree with me. If someone owns an A4 you should give your opinions on it for Dave so he can see both sides.

Based on what you said though, I would recommend the A6. Balanced presentation, treble isn't harsh, and the bottom end will give you a thump.

If I had to put a likeness to each earphone compared to a headphone, this would be my pick:

A4 = Sony MDR XB500 
A6 = Sennheiser HD 650

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #2,869 of 9,124

I've owned the A4 and A6. Sold the A4 though. So while I'm not Kev, maybe I can give some insight on my feelings towards them both.

A4 has explosive boomy bass. It's not a very tight punchy bass.  It's overwhelmingly powerful compared to something more balanced. The bass extended into the mids, either because it was really that intense, or because the mids were recessed it gave that impression. The highs sounded as if they were always struggling. They had a crispy (but not sibilant) likeness to them. I listen to a lot of electronic music which can be heavily sibilant on something like an HD 800. The A4 would eliminate the sibilance, but it was replaced with something a bit distorted sounding.  The A4 tried to have a fun sound signature, but fell short of that because the bass was overpowering and bleeding too far into the mids. In some cases it felt like the bass would extend into the treble.

A4 would be good if you wanted intense bass, and listened to your music loudly. I say loudly because at low volume the mids and the treble are almost non-existant. When I bumped up the volume to be loud, I could understand the appeal more. Though it was not for me, and I sold it. I understood the capabilities of the Adel series earphones though, so I wanted to stick with it, and got the A6.

The A6 sounds much more balanced than the A4. Though there is a larger emphasis on bass than I was comfortable with at first (I can say that the FR graph they posted for the A6 feels pretty accurate for how it sounds), but I've gotten used to it. The bass still retains the somewhat boomy signature the A4 had, but is more cohesive and tight. The A4's bass really sounded like two drivers working together, but both somewhat separated. The A4 gave me the impression that one driver have a deep, boomy bass that covered the bass and mid regions, while the other driver added a flair of detail to the bass and sub-bass.

The A6 mids are present and beautiful. They are very smooth and highly detailed. The treble is not sparkly, and at lower volumes can sound recessed. Bump up the volume though and everything falls into place so very well. I would say this is very musical for a balanced sound. Also, the treble stands out more than the A4, while still remaining non-sibilant. I find the A6 treble does not ever sound crispy or distorted though.

When I first got the A6 I found it to be a somewhat underwhelming earphone. The sparkle is missing, the excitement is just very toned down and warm. Over time though, I've come to greatly appreciate it. As someone who loves electronic music, not having a constant pounding of sibilance is absolutely wonderful. When the volume is turned up it comes to life, becomes very engaging, without being fatiguing. When I'm on the go or at work and don't want to disturb others (or be disturbed by them), this is something fantastic to have.

I was personally very disappointed in the A4. I would not recommend it to anyone. It tries too hard to be it's own bass monster earphone with balanced armatures, like it's trying to be something different and special, and falls flat on its face. I don't want to sound too harsh though, because I know some people love it and would easily disagree with me. If someone owns an A4 you should give your opinions on it for Dave so he can see both sides.

Based on what you said though, I would recommend the A6. Balanced presentation, treble isn't harsh, and the bottom end will give you a thump.

If I had to put a likeness to each earphone compared to a headphone, this would be my pick:

A4 = Sony MDR XB500 
A6 = Sennheiser HD 650

+1 ... Can't compare to A4 as I haven't heard it, but as a happy A6 owner I can support that BobFiggins description is spot on.

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #2,870 of 9,124
seeing the comparison of the A6 to the Hd650, which big open can sounds the most like an A12? I really enjoy the non fatiguing sound of my A12 while my Sennheiser HD800 ist to aggressive for me even with anax mod. I would like another big can that does it more relaxed as my A12 do. any suggestions?

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #2,871 of 9,124
Never heard the A12, but the U12 I have. Gave me flashbacks of when I listened to the HE1000. I think an easier way to put it into terms I understand well, is it was an A6 with more detail, tightened bass with more aggression in the sub-bass. The mids felt the same as the A6, but the treble had just a touch of sparkle to give the music life. To me it felt like the A6, with some bonus PRAT points. I know I put it lightly, but it truly is something special. I don't think I'd ever spend $2000 for something I use occasionally at work, but if a IEM is your main method of enjoying music, then the U12 is for you.

One thing that really surprised me about the U12, is that the FR chart on 1964's website makes it look like a bass monster, but it really isn't. The bass is so tight, so controlled, so deep, that it really comes across as less than it actually is, which is perfect. I'd say the A6 seems more bassy. I do think the A12 would probably be much more bassy though, due to the extreme seal.

@ericr has the U12, and I think he has a U6? He is the master of IEM's, and could give some detail on that. Sorry to throw you on the spot eric, but you let me listen to your U12, you ruined me! Payback!

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #2,872 of 9,124
Can't wait tIl the adjustable modules come out. With A12 + mojo + phone-I'm at the pinnacle of portable audio and won't be buying anything else ever. I can continue to use this setup as my phone changes over time.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #2,873 of 9,124
Can't wait tIl the adjustable modules come out. With A12 + mojo + phone-I'm at the pinnacle of portable audio and won't be buying anything else ever. I can continue to use this setup as my phone changes over time.

I just received my red U12 with both the mic cable and non-clicking and auto MAM yesterday. After some listening, all I can say is that it is very amazing. Especially the non-clicking MAM.

I am using the U12 with my Onkyo DP-X1 and I am quite new to this hi-res audio, audiophile scene so I do not have a good audiophile vocabulary. Below are my early impressions of my U12.

Wow the adjustable module on the 1964ears u12 is just amazing. 
When fully closed, the bass is so impactful and detailed. 
When fully opened the bass is much smoother, not so impactful but more accurate and detailed. But most importantly is that my ears are very relaxed when listening to music and the soundstage is just amazeballs. There is only a touch slight of more ambiance that can be heard when the adjustable modules are fully opened. 
Oh and for certain vocal songs, if the port are adjusted properly, you can imagine the vocalist is singing in front of you for you only. So lovely. 
With the MAM fully opened, my hyperacusis did not trigger for songs that are played at a loudness that normally trigger it. I am so happy. 
The issue I have now is that I am unable to accurately find a way to know what was the previous settings for the MAM and it always took me so long to find the previous settings. Hope the new Clicking MAM will solve this issue.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #2,874 of 9,124
Hey Bob,
Thanks for the detailed review on the A4s versus the A6s. I really appreciate the time you took to add to your reviews. I've been a little wary of what some folks have said about there being way too much bass in the A4s. I am a bassist, but love to hear the other instruments as well in a balanced mix. I have a friend that has the V6 Stage and A4s, and uses them for different applications. She also said that if she were to have just one pair, it would be the A6s. They do not come cheap, and with all said, and for a little extra, I'm leaning toward the A6s. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on these IEMS.

Dave

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #2,875 of 9,124
Hey Bob,
Thanks for the detailed review on the A4s versus the A6s. I really appreciate the time you took to add to your reviews. I've been a little wary of what some folks have said about there being way too much bass in the A4s. I am a bassist, but love to hear the other instruments as well in a balanced mix. I have a friend that has the V6 Stage and A4s, and uses them for different applications. She also said that if she were to have just one pair, it would be the A6s. They do not come cheap, and with all said, and for a little extra, I'm leaning toward the A6s. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on these IEMS.

Dave

@Dave, may I ask what type of music you play and type of bass amp? I ask, because depending on your taste for music, you may have other preferences. I say so, because in my opinion, musicians need a little more bass than audiophiles, because when you're playing live, due to the stage noise, you'll need to compensate some bass. That being said, most bass players I know prefer the A4s or A8s, but those guys are playing funk, r&b, EDM Rock type of stuff. Now if you play jazz, I would say go with the A6s. I just bough the non ADEL version of the A6 and prefer that to the A4 version and like your friend said, if she could only own a pair I would stick with those. In my case, I'm also a drummer and run FOH and I have the U8s for drumming which I love, and will be using the V6 stage for mixing which are a little more balanced. Do get the ADEL version if you can afford it though as I think it's worth it.

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #2,876 of 9,124

Hey Bob,
I mostly play Contemporary Christian Music, and much of it is rock and ballad-based music. I also play with a inspirational country artist, and her music is similar, but with a country influence. Gear-wise, my main basses are a 70's Fender Jazz and a James Tyler 5-string.  The amp is a Crown/Demeter/SWR setup. Some places I do not use an amp, just Sony MDR 7506 phones plugged into a headphone mixer, and since I've been in the back by the drums, I'm not that conspicuous with the Sony's on, but I'm sure it's noticeable. Any closer to the front of the stage and cans would just look too weird.  I do love a deep, yet clear bass in my mix. I am sold on ADEL. So it comes down to A4s and A6s.  The A6 bar graph shows ample bass with a tad bit more mids and  highs - likely enhancing balance with the bass frequencies. I just want to avoid the boom factor, and be able to enjoy the mids and highs as well.  I'll be at NAMM this January and will head straight for 64's booth and get a good listen in. IF they may be offering onsite NAMM deals, I'll be ordering something for sure. Thanks for the dialogue, it's been quite beneficial, and much appreciated.
Dave

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #2,877 of 9,124
  Did any one describe A12 from source matching standpoint?

My subjective ratings:
1. Samsung Galaxy S3 (i9300): 5.0/10
2. S3+Oppo HA2: 5.5/10
3. S3+Teac HA 50: 6.0/10
4. S3+Chord Mojo: 7.0/10 (less thump in bass and weaker tone when compared to #2 or #3, I get nice synergy with D5000 but not so much with A12)
5. HM-901: 8.0/10
6. DX100: 8.5/10 (wider soundstage compared to #1)
7. DX100 + Alo Continental V3: 9/10 (improved tone)

I wonder if you agree / how do you find it with LG V10, HTC A9 or Continental Dual Mono and other sources (dacs/amps/phones)?

Hi this is a nice comparison. I am an owner of the 64ears A12 CIEMS. I also have an OPPO HA2 and I had the Mojo Chord. I returned the mojo chord because it was not better sounding the the oppo HA-2. Maybe it is because of my custom FZA silver cables? I tested with a samsung s5 and also on my desktop. After comparing the HA-2 and the Mojo, for me the winner was definitely the OPO HA-2. Winner in sound quality and in build quality. I see you almost give a 10 when combining it with the CDM of alo audio, this product is still on my wish list too.....

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #2,879 of 9,124

Hi this is a nice comparison. I am an owner of the 64ears A12 CIEMS. I also have an OPPO HA2 and I had the Mojo Chord. I returned the mojo chord because it was not better sounding the the oppo HA-2. Maybe it is because of my custom FZA silver cables? I tested with a samsung s5 and also on my desktop. After comparing the HA-2 and the Mojo, for me the winner was definitely the OPO HA-2. Winner in sound quality and in build quality. I see you almost give a 10 when combining it with the CDM of alo audio, this product is still on my wish list too.....

No, I didn't mention CDM although I would love to hear it.
I rated DX100 + Alo Continental V3 (the older and smaller tube amp) at 9/10.

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #2,880 of 9,124
I finally received my U12 with auto module today (upgraded model from Ambient12) after 13 months of waiting, will post more impression in a few days, but first impression it is head and shoulder above anything that I have heard before, period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back