1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Oct 24, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #2,566 of 9,124
Churches are usually called Houses of Worship when talked about commercially. A lot of churches use in ears for their musicians.

Oh ok, I forgot that churches are way different in the US than where I come from. If you're performing in a more traditional church type building it makes a lot of sense because of the acoustics.

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #2,567 of 9,124
Interesting you say that Bob.  I've been struggling a little with the U6 as well.  Obviously I couldn't test any because of my location.  I chose the U6 because I figured it would be nicely balanced, and because I was concerned with the Adel module, that having it open would compromise the bass.  The bass is actually perfect on the U6 - wouldn't change a thing.  Where I'm struggling is the lower mids in relation to the upper mids. They seem to be very, very flat, and there is no upper mid/lower treble peak. Some may think this is a good thing - but I'm really regretting not going all out and getting the U10 now.

I gave them to a friend (who has a very good ear - and we often have similar thoughts).  He's involved in the design of IEMs (sorry can't say much more than that).  He described the mid-range as "lifeless". I wouldn't go that far - it s really detailed,and for male vocals and rock music it is pretty amazing. But I would say that it just doesn't suit my preferences.  Interestingly, I used EQ and gave it a simple bump at 6 kHz and 8 kHz, and it's a different earphone.

I've included a graph - raw data only - showing measurement of the U6 and comparative measurement of my q-Jays.  The graph is just for comparison.  It is uncalibrated and uncompensated - but I'm showing it so you can see the frequency deviation vs the q-Jays 

Without EQ - I prefer the Jays.

Hi mate, will you be able to the same for the U6, DN2000j and Savant? I'm quite curious how they compare. I would've gone with the U6 as well if I had the funds back then.

Oct 25, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #2,568 of 9,124
Doh.

I'll see what I can do with a bit of photoshop - but I didn't actually save the Savant data.  I really need to start saving all the data files from here on in so I can reproduce them.

Give me a while to play with it, and I'll see what I can do.

Oct 25, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #2,569 of 9,124
Mark

Take this with a grain of salt, as:

1. My set-up is not calibrated or compensated to IEC standards
  2. I had to photoshop the original measurement of the Savant

Should be close enough for relativities though

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #2,570 of 9,124
  Mark

1. My set-up is not calibrated or compensated to IEC standards
  2. I had to photoshop the original measurement of the Savant

Thanks so much for the graphs. This pretty much falls in line with my experience with the V6 Stage when I had them - a treble range that is way too tame for its own good. It sounded nice on tracks where treble presence was not so important otherswise it came across as dull and blunted.

What was surprising to me was how different it sounded compared to Joker's review of the V6 Stage, who described it as being sibilant and energetic in the treble region. I was lucky enough to get a good deal on the V6 Stage and sold it right away.

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #2,571 of 9,124
Just a quick impression to report.  At the risk of loosing my audiophile status, I have to report that I tried my A12s today playing 24/96 FLACs via the ONKYO HD iOS app on my new iPhone 6s plus.  I have to say I was impressed with how good it sounded so I tried some 16/44 CD rips of Chesky CDs and was still impressed.  In fact the a12s made an iPhone sound very good indeed.  I know it's heresy to say this here at Head-Fi,  but I could be happy with the iPhone 6s-A12 combination if I needed to travel light.  I have a transcontinental flight this coming Wednesday so I am going to try this combination as a travel pair.  

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #2,572 of 9,124
  Just a quick impression to report.  At the risk of loosing my audiophile status, I have to report that I tried my A12s today playing 24/96 FLACs via the ONKYO HD iOS app on my new iPhone 6s plus.  I have to say I was impressed with how good it sounded so I tried some 16/44 CD rips of Chesky CDs and was still impressed.  In fact the a12s made an iPhone sound very good indeed.  I know it's heresy to say this here at Head-Fi,  but I could be happy with the iPhone 6s-A12 combination if I needed to travel light.  I have a transcontinental flight this coming Wednesday so I am going to try this combination as a travel pair.  

Thanks - this is indeed very encouraging. I'm looking to pair the ADEL CIEMs unamped with my iPhone 6. BTW has anyone compared the A6 versus the rest? Unfortunately my part of the world only has the A10 / A12s / V6-S for audition.

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #2,573 of 9,124
Mark

• My set-up is not calibrated or compensated to IEC standards
  • I had to photoshop the original measurement of the Savant

Thanks so much for the graphs. This pretty much falls in line with my experience with the V6 Stage when I had them - a treble range that is way too tame for its own good. It sounded nice on tracks where treble presence was not so important otherswise it came across as dull and blunted.

What was surprising to me was how different it sounded compared to Joker's review of the V6 Stage, who described it as being sibilant and energetic in the treble region. I was lucky enough to get a good deal on the V6 Stage and sold it right away.

Judging by the graph, I think the u6 will have to be at high volume level to enjoy the sound. I'm guessing that's how the others got their good impression on the v6stage. Very similar to the SD2, bland at lower volume but great at high volume. Again this is just my guess although I have experienced the SD2.

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #2,574 of 9,124

Well, that's nice to hear as I'll mostly be using an iPhone, iPad, or MBP to listen to my U12's.

Hopefully they'll get shipped within the next couple of days (Serial #20). If they don't ship this week, I'll be quite discouraged. They've been delayed plenty long, and some 10's and 12's went out last week. I'm ready for them.

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #2,575 of 9,124
Oct 26, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #2,576 of 9,124
Well, that's nice to hear as I'll mostly be using an iPhone, iPad, or MBP to listen to my U12's.

Hopefully they'll get shipped within the next couple of days (Serial #20). If they don't ship this week, I'll be quite discouraged. They've been delayed plenty long, and some 10's and 12's went out last week. I'm ready for them.

I have the A6 on order and am hopeful that the better fit, seal and isolation will result in superior sound to the U6 even at lower listening volumes. I am a bit treble sensitive, not only to sibilance at ~4-6k but also to the brittle sound occuring with piano music at a~8k. The chart below is interesting although I recognize not all will find it authoritative and YYMV:

The full interactive version is here.

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #2,577 of 9,124
Why wouldn't it be authoritative?  It's got to be based on sampling the spectrum of each instrument and since it doesn't give the spectrum there's nothing to argue with.  Or am I missing something?

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #2,578 of 9,124
  Why wouldn't it be authoritative?  It's got to be based on sampling the spectrum of each instrument and since it doesn't give the spectrum there's nothing to argue with.  Or am I missing something?

I think the psychoacoustic part crosswalking which frequencies produce which experience in the listener (EG - muddiness, flat sound, fatigue, sibilance, brittle quality to the sound) may not be identical person to person. That said, I find it a very useful guide.

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #2,579 of 9,124
Ok, I see what you meant now.  I haven't a clue one way or the other but I do wonder how much those vary person-to-person.  I know we all hear differently.  Maybe differences in those characteristics is one of the reasons why.  In any case, I always looked at the graphic as portraying the range of each instrument and said wow, that's interesting.  Not very controversial and i think it's a useful graphic.

I have to add it's particularly interesting to me at least that the piano covers almost the entire meaningful range of human hearing and the array of all the instruments taken together do the same.  Duh, silly me.  What would be the point of inaudible music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back