Aug 7, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #8,896 of 9,124
U8 and cowon plenue s === a joyful experience

whats left is replace
IMG_1658.JPG
it with a new cable that will arrive in a week

Aug 7, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #8,897 of 9,124
U8 and cowon plenue s === a joyful experience

whats left is replace it with a new cable that will arrive in a week

Go full on with Leonidas bro. It sounded fantastic with my A12, it might just be the endgame for you.

Aug 7, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #8,898 of 9,124
Go full on with Leonidas bro. It sounded fantastic with my A12, it might just be the endgame for you.

all this hunting and searching between daps and iems, and so much between selling and buying, this is it for me hopefully for at least a year.

I might go for that cable if the cables I ordered from a company called original cables are not to my liking, then I will go full down on leonidas

its amazing how my taste in music shifted towards likes as Mark Knopfler, I really dig all projects he is involved in from solo albums to his mighty Dire Straits. I clearly remember 7 years ago how much I disliked Dire Straits and now its on top what I like

I am listening to Basil from his Tracker solo album. His songs are like stories that let you drift away with him. The only other artist whose songs give that story like feeling is Leonard cohen god bless his soul

Bands I used to like alot in the past like depeche mode are way way behind now

also using eq is slowly becoming something that is fading, I hope its not a sign of me aging :)

I think I should try to change my user name and user name picture :)

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #8,899 of 9,124
all this hunting and searching between daps and iems, and so much between selling and buying, this is it for me hopefully for at least a year.

I might go for that cable if the cables I ordered from a company called original cables are not to my liking, then I will go full down on leonidas

its amazing how my taste in music shifted towards likes as Mark Knopfler, I really dig all projects he is involved in from solo albums to his mighty Dire Straits. I clearly remember 7 years ago how much I disliked Dire Straits and now its on top what I like

I am listening to Basil from his Tracker solo album. His songs are like stories that let you drift away with him. The only other artist whose songs give that story like feeling is Leonard cohen god bless his soul

Bands I used to like alot in the past like depeche mode are way way behind now

also using eq is slowly becoming something that is fading, I hope its not a sign of me aging :)

I think I should try to change my user name and user name picture :)

I think what you're experiencing is the effect the equipment has on the various genres we listen to and how they play to the strengths of your gear. I've also found that as I experiment with different gear, my music selections seem to shift. That's one of the reasons I enjoy Tidal. With my u12s I found myself listening to music with heavier bass and smoother rhythm whereas with my Encores I found myself moving towards more jazz and female vocals and genres with more slam which is handled well by the Encores with their great midrange and faster response. So you're not getting old!

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #8,900 of 9,124

I think what you're experiencing is the effect the equipment has on the various genres we listen to and how they play to the strengths of your gear. I've also found that as I experiment with different gear, my music selections seem to shift. That's one of the reasons I enjoy Tidal. With my u12s I found myself listening to music with heavier bass and smoother rhythm whereas with my Encores I found myself moving towards more jazz and female vocals and genres with more slam which is handled well by the Encores with their great midrange and faster response. So you're not getting old!

nice to see you here you have increased your arsenal of iems

you know i regret selling the u12 :), which module are you using with ur u12

what source are u using these days

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #8,901 of 9,124
nice to see you here you have increased your arsenal of iems, are u still using ur e5 as a source or did you go another route

I actually didn't have an e5, I've been using a DP-X1 as a portable unit and a Mojo coupled with an ALO CDM for much of my home listening. It's a sweet combination with the U12s and the ability to alter the tone slightly with tubes is kind of fun. Glad to see you're getting so much pleasure from the U8s.

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #8,902 of 9,124
I actually didn't have an e5, I've been using a DP-X1 as a portable unit and a Mojo coupled with an ALO CDM for much of my home listening. It's a sweet combination with the U12s and the ability to alter the tone slightly with tubes is kind of fun. Glad to see you're getting so much pleasure from the U8s.

yes i confused your gears with another user :wink:

did you ever consider a cowon dap, if no go for it you will simply adore it especially with u12

Aug 10, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #8,903 of 9,124
I would say the U4-SE is the more neutral, flattest iem in the 64Audio lineup.

Aug 10, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #8,906 of 9,124
Maybe the U4 but the U4-SE was designed to be flat and neutral. It was originally a mass drop only offering.
Different than the U4 for sure.

Aug 10, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #8,907 of 9,124
Nah, it was an Asian region offering, and the Massdrop was the first time it was available in the west (and I think the b-stock sale is the only other time). Definitely designed to be more neutral than the U4, which is why I chose them (that and I could afford the extra $50 I think it was, but not the jump to the U6). I'd be pretty surprised if they are overall flatter than the likes of the 3 or 10, though, maybe even the 6 and 18.

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #8,909 of 9,124
Might be more of a shallow W, except for the low end being a fair bit higher. But yeah, they're hardly neutral. With the S1 module they are one of the most bass heavy IEMs I have, though I prefer using the MAM.

Depending on the module :wink: With M20 module, I hear it as having a balanced (W-shaped) sound sig with a more neutral-revealing tonality. But I can't say it's flat because (w/M20) you get a nice bass slam and some emphasis on upper mids and lower treble. With some sources, it's even slightly v-shaped, but in general a rather balanced sound signature. For some reason, I'm not digging it with Adel modules, in comparison to M20 - the vocals with adel modules loose some focus (perhaps due to soundstage being a little wider). But hey, we all hear things different anyway. Review will be up soon! Had it with me on vacation trip for a week, and I got addicted to it. Btw, U4SE were designed and optimized for low impedance sources :wink:

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #8,910 of 9,124
Depending on the module :wink: With M20 module, I hear it as having a balanced (W-shaped) sound sig with a more neutral-revealing tonality. But I can't say it's flat because (w/M20) you get a nice bass slam and some emphasis on upper mids and lower treble. With some sources, it's even slightly v-shaped, but in general a rather balanced sound signature. For some reason, I'm not digging it with Adel modules, in comparison to M20 - the vocals with adel modules loose some focus (perhaps due to soundstage being a little wider). But hey, we all hear things different anyway. Review will be up soon! Had it with me on vacation trip for a week, and I got addicted to it. Btw, U4SE were designed and optimized for low impedance sources :wink:

Yeah I don't particularly like it with the S1 module. Too dark, although I did really enjoy a few EDM tracks with it (no surprise). I've seen enough from Brooko's reviews to know the M20 is probably a bit different. Different sources too etc etc.
I also don't love it with the G1. Nice bass, but something slightly brittle in the treble. That said, its close to what I want - I start the MAM from the fully open side (fully screwed in, tensioned membrane) which apparently acts similarly to the G1, and loosen it from there. I love the MAM, I find my ears have quite varying pressure, between each other and over the day depending on various factors (fatigue, hydration, during exercise, etc).
Its usually somewhere back from fully open that I find my preferred sound. It is a really well tuned IEM. Not flat but I won't want it to be. Remains sufficiently different to the Vega and FLC8s to keep them all fresh.
It does seem tuned for more typical sources. I'd like to still see it measured, I think it may behave the same way (lower impedance -> more bass) but to a much lesser degree than the rest of the lineup.
I would be interested in a comparison to the U6, given the b-stock still offers the ADEL compatible model at a really tempting price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back