1964 Ears Adel IEMs
May 24, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #5,311 of 9,124
The sound bore from armatures to the ear canals on which the tips go.

Thanks!

I didn't forget about you, I just didn't have a U12 with me at the lab yesterday to measure. So I'll be bringing a pair with me today when I go into work and give you the measurements you've requested.

-----------------------

Looks like outside bore is 5.3mm, length of the snout on 8.3mm. I used U12s, sizing on other U series might vary.

May 24, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #5,312 of 9,124
A fews days ago got the opportunity to try U5,6,8,10 and 12 at the local shop. What a wonderful set of iems! U5 might be a specialty iem, great highs but upper mid a bit hollow sounding, good with certain type of recordings. U6 is wonderful, glorious mids, a bit more in your face presentation, not as colored as Angie, love the tuning. U8 as expected got more bass energy, and vocals take a step back when compared to U6, with similar treble extension. U10, first listen wowed me, v lovely highs, great extension lots of sparkle yet never harsh, simply awesome with live recordings. U12 got a warmer sound, with a slightly more controlled highs, a lot more bass and lower mid bass energy.

The next day I went back again U6 vs U8 I picked U6 for the more in ur face vocals, U10 vs U12 I picked the U10 for the exciting sparkles. Being a JH user, am pleasantly surprised by these iems, and for as far as for universal iems go, these r some of the most comfortable to use with spin fit. Now happily running in my U6 and U10!

Awesome. Can you compare the vocals between the U10 and the U6?

May 24, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #5,313 of 9,124
Can anybody comment on the lowly U4? seems everybody has a lot of money to spend lol.  Since I like my bass it is probably the best choice between 1-3.  I like punchy but not overwhelming.  But can't seem to find any reviews or comments.

May 24, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #5,319 of 9,124
A fews days ago got the opportunity to try U5,6,8,10 and 12 at the local shop. What a wonderful set of iems! U5 might be a specialty iem, great highs but upper mid a bit hollow sounding, good with certain type of recordings. U6 is wonderful, glorious mids, a bit more in your face presentation, not as colored as Angie, love the tuning. U8 as expected got more bass energy, and vocals take a step back when compared to U6, with similar treble extension. U10, first listen wowed me, v lovely highs, great extension lots of sparkle yet never harsh, simply awesome with live recordings. U12 got a warmer sound, with a slightly more controlled highs, a lot more bass and lower mid bass energy.

The next day I went back again U6 vs U8 I picked U6 for the more in ur face vocals, U10 vs U12 I picked the U10 for the exciting sparkles. Being a JH user, am pleasantly surprised by these iems, and for as far as for universal iems go, these r some of the most comfortable to use with spin fit. Now happily running in my U6 and U10!

Play with different tips, many report dramatically altered sound. Also B1 module is superb, worth giving it a try.

May 24, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #5,320 of 9,124
Agree with the altered sound. Using the comply tips the mids where female vocals lie are kinda sucked out so female vocals sound a bit distant, but using spiral dots the sound is much more balanced (altho isolation suffers a bit and the tips go too far down the barrel, so i have to fiddle a bit with them).

May 24, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #5,322 of 9,124
  What are some opinions on the stock black cable? Comfort, ergonomics, microphonics, etc. My cable of choice if those requirements are not met would be Linum BaX.

Ticks all three boxes. Although, I cannot talk for microphonics completely, as 99% of my listening is done indoors, while seated at my desk. I generally hate cables with memory wire. But the memory wire on this cable seems fine. Even the overall quality seems to be good..

May 25, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #5,324 of 9,124
Here is a video, a drawing and a description to help you understand the MAM operation better:

Video: http://youtu.be/LqsFELUW-mc

Operation:
1.    All the way out CLOSES the ambient port, thereby defeating the ADEL membrane as it can't move because it can't compress the air trapped behind it.
2.    All the way IN opens the ambient port completely, but ALSO tensions the membrane - which increases the bass response under open ambient conditions.
3.    Halfway between these extremes, the membrane is most compliant (floppy) because the ambient port is fully open and the tensioning apparatus is not engaged at all. This position mitigates pneumatic pressures most effectively, but the bass may seem lacking at first until your ears have a chance to relax (up to 10 minutes). The bass should then become much fuller and faster, because the unnatural resonances of your sealed ear canal  and in-ear pneumatic pressures have been mitigated.

If the bass is still lacking after full relaxation, try adjusting the MAMs slowly in or out to suit your taste, but without fully closing them (moving them all the way out), as this can trigger your acoustic reflex, thereby possibly making it necessary for you to allow your ears to relax again.

The extreme positions, 1. all the way OUT (closed) and 2. all the way IN (open, but tensioned) may sound similar because these both impinge more pneumatic pressure on the ear drum due to the fact that the ADEL membrane is immobilized by 1. Static air pressure (all the way OUT or CLOSED) or 2. Mechanical tensioning (all the way IN, or OPEN BUT TENSIONED).

The "right" ADEL adjustment will be somewhere between these two extremes, depending on how much pressure is retained in your middle ear, your listening preferences, the altitude you are listening at, whether your are exercising or running while listening, the kind of music you are listening to and the conditions under which it was recorded. Both extremes of fully out (closed) and fully in (open with tensioned membrane) are often useful under demanding exercise or listening conditions or varying ear anatomies.

Hope this helps; please don't hesitate to contact myself or support@64audio.com if you need help.

Stephen Ambrose

Founder, Chief Scientist, Asius Technologies
Inventor of the In Ear Monitors and ADEL Technologies
Email: Stephen.Ambrose@AsiusTechnologies.com

May 25, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #5,325 of 9,124
  What are some opinions on the stock black cable? Comfort, ergonomics, microphonics, etc. My cable of choice if those requirements are not met would be Linum BaX.

At first I didn't like the memorywire as it is a bit short to my liking. Further I have no complaints. I briefly tried my Linum BaX cable and I do like it better but I need it for my Custom Art Ei.XX
The Forza Audioworks cable I've got is also a nice match but pretty tough to plug and unplug on my U8 just like the stock cable. So for now I prefer de Linum cable. Hopefully the SuperBaX will be ready for general sale soon :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back