1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Feb 25, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #3,721 of 9,124
My new A12's should be here mid/late next week.

I would appreciate suggestions for a portable player to use with the A12's,
First, I will tell you a bit about my current music situation.

My home recording studio includes;
Schoeps Mics --> Pendulum MDP 1 --> Prism Titan Interface/Converters --> Focal Twin 6 Be Monitors and Revel Gem Monitors.

I play most of my music through a Bryston BDP-2 into this system.

So, I am looking for a player that is not harsh, clinical or cold. When listing on the road or traveling, I like music to be true but I am not reference crazy. I don't want ear fatigue.
I am willing spend what I need to spend but don't want to piss it away needlessly. I don't want a separate amp. Too much "stuff" to carry makes me crazy and I am usually traveling with one or two guitars.

Thanks
Mike

Chord mojo
8+ hour battery life
Won't get better sound at $600 price point
Keep your phone to use as a source, you'll be able to use any phone you get in the future with it
Reviews are stellar
Value is temendous
Frequency response is neutral
Sound is warm and non fatiguing(treble slightly rolled off)
Sound is emotional, musical and alive
Play everything up to 512dsd from your phone

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #3,722 of 9,124
@iKE1985 

I couldn't agree more with you that Mojo is great choice, it's what I use with my A12s.  Two words: audio nirvana.

I am not, however, sure that I agree that the Mojo treble is slightly rolled off because in the back of my mind I thought I read they were flat to 50KHz.  You are right that the treble is never in your face or unpleasant but I took that as an absence of artifact and distortion.  Maybe @Rob Watts can tell us if the treble is rolled off.

I also get the sense that the poster may be looking for a DAP and not a phone add on.  Maybe some DAP suggestions would also help.  The least wires possible is a DAP or the Centrance phone shell thingy.  I'd prefer with Mojo and A12s but it does mean there are some wires.

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #3,723 of 9,124
  @iKE1985 

I couldn't agree more with you that Mojo is great choice, it's what I use with my A12s.  Two words: audio nirvana.

I am not, however, sure that I agree that the Mojo treble is slightly rolled off because in the back of my mind I thought I read they were flat to 50KHz.  You are right that the treble is never in your face or unpleasant but I took that as an absence of artifact and distortion.  Maybe @Rob Watts can tell us if the treble is rolled off.

I also get the sense that the poster may be looking for a DAP and not a phone add on.  Maybe some DAP suggestions would also help.  The least wires possible is a DAP or the Centrance phone shell thingy.  I'd prefer with Mojo and A12s but it does mean there are some wires.

I'm interested in the Echobox Explorer which is Android based, plays several streaming services and has expandable storage. But, I would like to see what the general consensus is once it's available.  

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #3,724 of 9,124
@iKE1985

I am not, however, sure that I agree that the Mojo treble is slightly rolled off because in the back of my mind I thought I read they were flat to 50KHz.  You are right that the treble is never in your face or unpleasant but I took that as an absence of artifact and distortion.  Maybe @Rob Watts
 can tell us if the treble is rolled off.

I guess it's to each it's own. I had an AK320 and Mojo combo and didn't like it. Was to forward and not enjoyable to listen to. I sold it a few weeks ago on the forum and I saw earlier this week that he put it up for sale as he didn't like it either.

I got the Calyx M and love it with the A12.

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #3,725 of 9,124
Chord mojo
8+ hour battery life
Won't get better sound at $600 price point
Keep your phone to use as a source, you'll be able to use any phone you get in the future with it
Reviews are stellar
Value is temendous
Frequency response is neutral
Sound is warm and non fatiguing(treble slightly rolled off)
Sound is emotional, musical and alive
Play everything up to 512dsd from your phone

So, you are saying that the Mojo thingy connects to an iPhone as a source? Is it a converter or just an amp?
I am not adverse to that, but I think my ultimate solution would be an iPhone with killer converters and high res music. But alas, not "released" yet.

Thanks

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #3,726 of 9,124

Schoeps Mics --> Pendulum MDP 1 --> Prism Titan Interface/Converters --> Focal Twin 6 Be Monitors and Revel Gem Monitors.

So, I am looking for a player that is not harsh, clinical or cold. When listing on the road or traveling, I like music to be true but I am not reference crazy. I don't want ear fatigue.
I am willing spend what I need to spend but don't want to piss it away needlessly. I don't want a separate amp. Too much "stuff" to carry makes me crazy and I am usually traveling with one or two guitars.

Thanks
Mike

you have many options, and take it from me who lays it out as it is without any sugar coating

get the mojo and with android u can tweak the sound through eq, mojo without eq can be a bit lacking in bass, but once u eq it man its like nothing can beat it

immediately after that comes the ak380 and amp and its sounds great without eq even, and ak really improved the sound in the latest firmware, i am myself surprised that its the first dap that i do not use eq in it and sometimes i use only pro eq in ak, but its really a great dap with or without eq, but in my opinion it does not drive well planars, but with iems its an amazing dap

or get the cowon d add an amp like headstage arrow and u will also enjoying what u hear

although i prefer the mojo because i tweak the sound alot by adding bass but i am a basshead, my combo ak380 and amp is up for sale as after i bought the u12 i need to recover some costs so the ak380 and amp is up for sale

Feb 25, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #3,727 of 9,124
Mojo is a safe bet, it's really not just hype there, in particular I love its spectacular dynamics... I still have to hear it with the U12 though, as it has been back for repair since I got the U12.

In the meantime, I know my Onkyo DP-X1 is pairing quite well with the U12. Although it doesn't sound as spectacular, soundstage is wider and deeper than the Mojo and separation and imaging are a notch up balanced too. It's less warm sounding than the Mojo but a tad north of neutral.

I'd sure like to give an audition of U12 + ALO CDM, if anyone has feedback I think it could be a killer combo :)

If you like warm sound sig, Cowon players (P1 or the recent Plenue S) would be interesting options I guess.

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #3,729 of 9,124

I'm genuinely enjoying my A12 + FiiO X7 combo. $2,650 of pure joy. Even after few months of owning I still can't get enough of how good it actually is :D

Thank you for the recommendation. I am really looking for an all in one solution. I don't want to carry a DAC/AMP, cables, chargers, and more stuff. I want a self contained stellar sounding device without the need for external amps and other such stuff. Just me, the player and the A12's.

Thanks again.

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #3,730 of 9,124
Thank you for the recommendation. I am really looking for an all in one solution. I don't want to carry a DAC/AMP, cables, chargers, and more stuff. I want a self contained stellar sounding device without the need for external amps and other such stuff. Just me, the player and the A12's.

Thanks again.

I am also a hiker, lightweight style. Last time I went in winter(legit winter, temps where below freezing the whole trip) my bag was ~25 w/food and water for 6 nights. (I filter water and melt snow for water as I go) I use an Aarn feather lite freedom body pack. It lets you distribute weight between front and back. I'm a weight freak but I wouldn't hesitate to bring mojo, although I'd probably relegate it to at night when I'm in my hammock watching movies before bed. I feel safer with my ears open in bear/boar country.

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #3,731 of 9,124
I am also a hiker, lightweight style. Last time I went in winter(legit winter, temps where below freezing the whole trip) my bag was ~25 w/food and water for 6 nights. (I filter water and melt snow for water as I go) I use an Aarn feather lite freedom body pack. It lets you distribute weight between front and back. I'm a weight freak but I wouldn't hesitate to bring mojo, although I'd probably relegate it to at night when I'm in my hammock watching movies before bed. I feel safer with my ears open in bear/boar country.

Ha, hard core eh?

I am a day tripper. No bears for me my friend. Just me, my wife, water, food, a few layers and my tunes with a good 8-12 hour battery 
smily_headphones1.gif

Came across a mama grizzly with cubs in Glacier two years ago. Not something I want to do again. 
eek.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #3,732 of 9,124
Can someone explain the benefits of a silver capable over that of a non-silver one?

I've got a Linum Bax on my u8 at the moment. Just seeing what differences I may find with a different cable. 

Cheers

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #3,733 of 9,124
  Can someone explain the benefits of a silver cable over that of a non-silver one?
I've got a Linum Bax on my u8 at the moment. Just seeing what differences I may find with a different cable. 

The general consensus is that silver helps transparency, clarity and adds some detail and sparkle up top. Copper is deemed to add warmth and weight at the bottom end and help deliver smooth mids. Then there are sliver plated copper like the Linum, gold plated silver like the TWau or alloys of different metals, shifting the signature in the desired direction. 

I didn't believe in cables before, now that I have tried several combination I can say it makes a difference although it won't change the underlying signature radically. The big jump is between most stock cables and a decent aftermarket cable, the Linum is quite good unless you go up to the top cables like TWau I wouldn't expect something huge, law of diminishing returns applies. Now you might like a different signature better, like say you might prefer silver over copper. I usually prefer copper but with the U12 I find silver is a pretty good match as advertised by many here. It's also about system synergy. Your mileage may vary, as it's highly dependent on your preferences...

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #3,734 of 9,124

Thanks
Mike

Mike, back to your question about having a non-harsh player for listening on the road (up a mountain etc):
If you don't need streaming, you could do a lot worse than pick up an AK120 (there are a couple of mods available as well). AK also made one called a Titan that has massive memory.
The form factor is frankly tiny and it has a nice warm, musical and entirely non-fatiguing sound, with good build quality.

The Onkyo DP-X1 also has a nice clear but very slightly warm sound signature and a lovely wide soundstage with the balanced connector. However, on that point, the connector is vulnerable to coming lose or even falling out (mine is already loose, but I'm hoping the soon-to-be-delivered Dignis case and protective strip will help. There is a DIY solution but it's not acceptable on a USD600 device). I'm just thinking about your outdoor pursuits and the need for ultra reliable gear. Battery life on the AK is good, and you can pair with a Glove A1 amp for balanced connection and extra depth and bass (still a small package).

The AK380 top end model and AK's own amp for that style of AK unit is also a good combo.

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #3,735 of 9,124
Another possibility is the Shozy Magic DAC/Amp as can be seen HERE. It is incredibly tiny and when paired with a smartphone source via OTG makes a very lightweight but great sounding package. It does sound excellent when paired with my U12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back