1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Feb 23, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #3,676 of 9,124
Thought you guys might be interested in another view point on the Adel MAMs, and another set of measurements, and some first hand experience.

I purchased a set of U6's through the KS - so these aren't review samples, I own them, and I'll be reviewing them pretty soon.

The reason I haven't reviewed them yet (or should I say the reason I haven't posted anything yet) is that I was waiting for the MAMs to complete the review.  Unfortunately I don't have my case or other accessories either - but I'm pretty sure it'll get resolved at some stage - the one thing I've really enjoyed with Vitaliy and his crew is that their level of customer service is really good. They can sometimes be a little slow with the replies - but they've been a great company to deal with.

Anyway - Alex (Twister6) and I were talking, and he mentioned he was getting a set of prototype MAMs, and gave me Steve Keeley's (Canyon Runner) address.  I contacted him, and asked if it was possible to get an early trial of the MAMs as well, so a little over a week ago I got a pair, and could finally put them to the test.

I spent pretty much the first day trying to get to that sweet spot, and trying to notice a difference.  I was worried at one stage that maybe my hearing wasn't sensitive enough - because I was noticing no change at all  between open and 3/4 closed, and it was only in the last quarter that the bass got stronger, but very little else changed.  So I reached out to Steve and Alex, described what was happening and asked for advice.  Steve suggested I keep testing, and see what I could measure.

So using Veritas and ARTA I measured at various positions, and sure enough - very little change.

I again talked to Steve about it, and he suggested that I may not have closed the modules enough - they can be quite stiff.  So I reset the tests, and this time measured from open to closed, then pushed a little more through the "hard to turn" barrier.  The bass response jumped, so I measured again from closed to open.  Yowsa!  This time the changes were noticeable (on the way back to open), and I was surprised at how different the measurements were. Had I somehow activated the module by pushing it that little bit further?

I closed it again, gave it the extra quarter turn, marked the module cog, and prepared to remeasure when i noticed all of a sudden the resistance was gone.  Ooops !  Yep - broken it.  Now the measurements don't change at all.  I've relayed this all to Steve, and they're going to take adjustments to make sure this can't happen with the final modules.

Anyway - I still had the left hand module to measure, so I repeated the process, taking a lot more care.  Once again I measured, and the good thing is that my measurements are repeatable - so I'm pretty sure this is how they are supposed to change.

First up - the U6 with the automatic modules - and just a simple test to assess channel matching

As you can see, they are pretty darn amazing - and credit to the 1964ears team for making something with BA's that matches this well.

Next up is the MAMs and the difference between totally closed, totally open, and the automatic module sitting in between:

Now the kicker - the next one shows just the MAMs, but shows the difference between fully closed, one full turn toward open, then another 1/2 turn, and a third 1/2 turn

There are some quite big changes there, and I could reproduce them remeasuring.

The sound changes are audible with the U6, but really hard to describe because I only have the one working module.  Steve is going to send me a new pair, and next time I can remeasure again, and see if another pair of modules shows the same changes.  At that stage I can also assess the sound in stereo - and complete my review. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #3,677 of 9,124
alex from 64 audio replied to my warranty question and told me my u12 is under warranty, as i bought this iem from another person

nice guy

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #3,679 of 9,124
  I find 64 Audio responsive. You could also give them a call as well.

he already replied thanks, and what a nice guy

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #3,680 of 9,124
can i ask plz are comply foams the best foam tips out there

and which is better for sound the isolation or the comfort ones and does adding the wax guard affect sound

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #3,681 of 9,124
  It's easy, the people who say that they are dark or bass heavy are wrong.  
L3000.gif
  You will love them, they are just plain awesome and are in a league of there own.  But no one IEM is going to please everybody. 

To be clear they will be much more fun, are fairly accurate, and do things no other IEMS can do because of the ADEL module.

I appreciate the help I received here in a very brief time.

I have come to believe that there is a propensity for paid product reviewers to be driven by their their own agenda. Not all perhaps, but I believe that this is more common than not.  I prefer individual opinions by those who actually use the product. There are those folks that have never used the products they discuss other than reading what others have to say. 

In any event, I placed my order and now begin the wait. I did pay for RUSH service so I hope that they will be here in about 10 days.

axzpuh.jpg

Can't wait.
Now I am going hiking.....

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #3,682 of 9,124
  I appreciate the help I received here in a very brief time.

I have come to believe that there is a propensity for paid product reviewers to be driven by their their own agenda. Not all perhaps, but I believe that this is more common than not.  I prefer individual opinions by those who actually use the product. There are those folks that have never used the products they discuss other than reading what others have to say. 

In any event, I placed my order and now begin the wait. I did pay for RUSH service so I hope that they will be here in about 10 days.
axzpuh.png

Can't wait.
Now I am going hiking.....

i am confident you will like it as its a great iem really amazing

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #3,683 of 9,124
  can i ask plz are comply foams the best foam tips out there

and which is better for sound the isolation or the comfort ones and does adding the wax guard affect sound

I think that tip selection ultimately comes down to your ear anatomy and under what circumstances you do most of your listening. So far, I prefer the Spinfits, which give me the best fit, comfort and I believe they sound the best. However, it seems that for some users with larger ears, this may not be the best tip. I only use the comply's when I play drums, as these give the best isolation, but I feel that they kill a lot of high frequency if not inserted right. When playing live, I can use eq to address this, but under normal listening, I don't like to use eq. There is a video in Youtube from Ty @ Inner Fidelity showing a tip on how to roll the tips when inserting them into your ears and get better results. I'm curious to try the Spiraldots, but I've heard mix impressions for those. Below is a link to a user who posted his impressions on several tips. I've also included another article from Inner fidelity on tips as well. At the end, I think one has to just try as many as you can and stick to what best works for you. Good luck!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/739712/1964-ears-adel-iems/2370#post_11952543
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comply-foam-tips-and-effects-tip-selection#IRgtitcrV89fpUcV.97

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #3,684 of 9,124
I tried to look at the review Canyon Runner but it looks like its been taken down... Was curious about what was causing all the fuss.

But anyways, can anyone recommend a good silver litz cable without the over ear memory wire that pairs well with the A12s? Feel that the A12s could use a little bit more on the highs.

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #3,685 of 9,124
  I received an email from 1964 Ears/64 Audio about their upcoming upgrade offer for V6-Stage and V8 to the ADEL equivalent A6 and A8.

Sigh, I own a V6 (non-Stage version) and its not eligible...

Any details about the pricing on upgrades? I can't seem to find where to sign up for their newsletter/didn't get an email...

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #3,686 of 9,124

Any details about the pricing on upgrades? I can't seem to find where to sign up for their newsletter/didn't get an email...

https://www.facebook.com/myear116/photos/a.110115995683257.12540.110059729022217/1230822586945920/?type=3&theater

Our local dealer posted this.

Upgrade prices are $499 for a V8 to A8(or V6s to A6)

The upgrade service starts Feb. 29

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #3,687 of 9,124
I tried to look at the review Canyon Runner but it looks like its been taken down... Was curious about what was causing all the fuss.

But anyways, can anyone recommend a good silver litz cable without the over ear memory wire that pairs well with the A12s? Feel that the A12s could use a little bit more on the highs.

Not what you were asking but I bought Whiplash TWag cable me for my A12's and it sounds amazing.

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #3,688 of 9,124

Really? I left it up there on purpose and just updated it, exactly for this reason. Maybe search 64 Audio or 1964 Ears in the head-fi review section, could be filed under one but not the other.

Oh well, the issue I had was with my the auto modules and the amount of movement my jaw has when I walk. That's why they were great when I was sitting down, but were super irritating as soon as I'd go for a walk/hike/etc. With each step, my jaw would fluctuate the amount of volume and pressure in my ear canal, making for a floppy/hand waving in front of speaker type inconsistent sound. The MAMs fixed it for me and now everything is good. It's a rare thing but I've heard of one other person having  that issue.

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #3,690 of 9,124
  Email them direct, Or call if you want a quicker answer, but they'll get ya taken care of 

1. 503-746-8510
support@1964ears.com

It will be $499 to upgrade. From speaking with them, they advised that they use different drivers on the V6s and A6. I'm really debating whether I should upgrade my V6S or sell them and put that $ towards the A12s. Anyone here who owns both to share some thoughts? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back