1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Dec 19, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #2,926 of 9,124
Yes I have noticed that if I cover up the nozzles with my finger there is a tiny amount of noise from the adel port (automatic on a U6. However this is almost imperceptible if they are say a foot away so hopefully they should be good for public use. I'll have to get someone else to listen while I am wearing them.

Dec 19, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #2,927 of 9,124
I'm with Brooko here, isolation is superb, I had my TV on volume level 10 while watching cricket last night, as soon as I put on my U12 with silicone tips, I heard silence, very faint TV background if anything...

Dec 19, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #2,928 of 9,124
Isolation with A12's is superb. I'll probably go deaf before anyone will start hearing anything coming from my headphones. The incoming noise isolation is very well too. Lately I've been wearing my iems while driving. Isolation is so good that even driving on a freeway I can hear my music VERY clearly - outside noise is either completely gone or is a quiet background hush during the quiet parts.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #2,929 of 9,124
Isolation is okay but not great. In my experience there is a fair amount of leakage of incoming sound. Isolation is quite a bit less compared to the Shure and Etymotics IEMs I have/have tried and about on par with Sony XBA H3s of the world.

Plus when wind blows against the Adel module i can hear the whistling wind noise. Having customs may improve this.

Having customs does not improve this and noise from the outside is quite noticeable w/ADEL, they wouldn't be good for listening in noisy situations without the adjustable module. For quiet desk listening they are amazing and TOTL.

I challenge all of you who are saying isolation from incoming noise is great to go outside during a windy day with normal volumes and you will hear the wind almost overpower the music. I have A12. Its not really an issue for me since I listen mostly at my desk but in a crowd or anywhere there's significant noise it's an issue. Try this: insert them with no music on and tap your finger lightly on a desk-you will hear it-and I have an excellent fit.

Again-I'm not complaining I just think it's important to be honest about a product especially when people are asking about a specific point. I believe this noise-bleed from the outside is simply a product of the design and it's unavoidable without the adjustable module-can't snider the auto ADEL module is flapping open continuously essentially mimicking the isolation of an open back headphone.

Here is a reddit user also discussing the same issue:

https://m.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3tvty4/64_audio_a12s_over_ear_headphones_in_iem/?ref=readnext_4

Dec 20, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #2,930 of 9,124
@iKE1985 - the posters specific question was:

I was wondering if there is a lot of sound leakage due to the adel port on these IEMs. My worst nightmare would be to annoy a train full of people with my music!

You may have missed that part.  IMO there is not.  They isolate pretty well actually.

And even as far as isolating outside noise (from coming in), they are far better than many of my hybrids with dynamic driver ports.  Are they as good as the top multi-BA's (Shure, new q-Jays etc) - no.  The ports do allow some ambient penetration.

Also your comment on wind-noise - what did you expect?  The are raised above the outer shell so wind hits them and creates noise.  But in a no wind situation - for me anyway - my U6 have isolated pretty darn well - even for street use.

Looking forward to getting my hands on the adjustable modules eventually though 
smile.gif

Dec 20, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #2,931 of 9,124
@iKE1985
 - the posters specific question was:

You may have missed that part.  IMO there is not.  They isolate pretty well actually.

And even as far as isolating outside noise (from coming in), they are far better than many of my hybrids with dynamic driver ports.  Are they as good as the top multi-BA's (Shure, new q-Jays etc) - no.  The ports do allow some ambient penetration.

Also your comment on wind-noise - what did you expect?  The are raised above the outer shell so wind hits them and creates noise.  But in a no wind situation - for me anyway - my U6 have isolated pretty darn well - even for street use.

Looking forward to getting my hands on the adjustable modules eventually though :smile:

I didn't miss it and sound leakage from inside the ear canal to the exterior world is not an issue at all, sound coming in from outside is a much more significant issue. I doubt anyone could hear your music even if they put their ear next to your head.

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #2,933 of 9,124
The incoming noise isolation is very well too. Lately I've been wearing my iems while driving. Isolation is so good that even driving on a freeway I can hear my music VERY clearly - outside noise is either completely gone or is a quiet background hush during the quiet parts.

Is this legal, or even a good idea? You wouldn't hear another auto's horn warning you or emergency vehicle sirens.

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #2,936 of 9,124
It's illegal depending on the state in the US too.

Actually I can hear exterior noises quite well with my A12's, they would be significantly safer than closed CIEMs, although I don't recommend driving with them either. It's not so much a question of whether it's legal but whether it's safe. With the exceptions of the laws which are the same everywhere-the crimes with victims-what we call laws today are arbitrary and vary in existence across imaginary lines. To te posters' defense, driving is probably 95% visual with the exceptions being horns, voices and emergency sirens.

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #2,937 of 9,124
Just got my U6 today after waiting for a year. I thought my order got cancelled or something lol and suddenly earlier this month I got an e-mail for fedex tracking number. This is not my first 1964 IEM that I bought, prior to owning U6, I have bought the V6 and V8, both are universal. Sound wise, U6 sounds really good, I am pretty impressed with the ADEL technology. It makes the sound very open for such a closed IEM with isolation on par with V6 and V8. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #2,938 of 9,124
Actually I can hear exterior noises quite well with my A12's, they would be significantly safer than closed CIEMs, although I don't recommend driving with them either. It's not so much a question of whether it's legal but whether it's safe. With the exceptions of the laws which are the same everywhere-the crimes with victims-what we call laws today are arbitrary and vary in existence across imaginary lines. To te posters' defense, driving is probably 95% visual with the exceptions being horns, voices and emergency sirens.

There's also the fear that the A12s are so sublime the wearer would be lulled into a state of euphoria and thus be distracted.  Then too I have fallen asleep several times with my A12s on.

In all seriousness, distractions are a major cause of accidents.  IEMs or earphones can be distracting (so can wives and kids).  Much as I'd like to sometimes, I wouldn't wear them while driving.  I assume they're illegal in Idaho but don't really know.

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #2,939 of 9,124
Self driving cars cannot come quick enough
ph34r.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #2,940 of 9,124
it is really dangerous wearing CIEM on the road be it driving, cycling and even as a pedestrian as you loose awareness of your surroundings.

there are already numerous accidents that am aware of involving the use of CIEMs, even on-stage!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back