May 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 12
HUGE.

AD700 is known for their openness and big stage, but it has no bass. If you play any type of FPS, bass is your enemy. HD650 soundstage is good, but not Audio Technica good. HD650s have a lot more of everything else, bass, mids, smoothness, and it's a great headphone if you like classical / jazz / acoustic stuff.

I personally have HD650 and A500 (which is more or less in that same family). I prefer A500 for gaming, but if I listen to music it's HD650.

May 21, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 12
You'd find tons of threads here on powering the HD650. They scale really well with various equipment. I power them myself with a RSA Hornet and it sounds good (Ray used the HD600 when designing his amps). But if you are looking for a pure home setup, then check out Darkvoice / La Figaro amps. From what I've read these go really well with HD650s.

May 21, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #7 of 12
I would definitely not suggest the Titanium HD for driving the HD-650. I bought one awhile back when I got a stupid good deal on it and on the box it claims to support headphones up to 330 ohms. After a lot of research I've found that it really doesn't even have a dedicated built in headphone amplifier like the STX soundcard.

I wouldn't suggest the HD-650 unless you're willing to spend a few hundred on a headphone amp. Some like it out of the $120 E9, but it's just "OK" and sounds quite good.

For gaming I always disliked them. The HD-598 is a far better option in that area. Another good gaming headphone is the AKG K601 and it's very easy to drive, even out of the E9.

Check out this thread for some reviews/comments on gaming headphones:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

I'd suggest the HD-598 because it's fairly easy to drive, comfortable and an all around good headphone for many genres. If you're still interested in the HD-650, I'd suggest looking into the HD-600 instead. I've found it to be a little better for gaming, but I still prefer the 598.

My absolute favorite gaming headphones are the K601 and K702. You 100% need a decent desktop amp for them. The K601 is only $190 and works great with the cheap E9.

May 21, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #10 of 12
It depends on what you're looking for in gaming. If you want a huge soundstage, amazing sound clarity and a ton of detail, the HD-650 doesn't have that IMO. I've found they're far better for music.

For gaming I don't like them much because of the above reasons and there isn't enough treble and there is too much bass.

I think it's not horrible, but for gaming there are much better options.

May 21, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #11 of 12
I picked up the AKG 702 with a Titanium HD and have not been disappointed.

Did an OPAMP swap to a pair of Burr Brown 2111kp's to up the bass a little bit, and now am in music & gaming bliss. 

FYI, I dont like super hard bass, so the bass impact of my setup is more than enough.

The positioning on the AKG is phenomenal, especially in games like bc2, css etc.

May 21, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #12 of 12
Another headphone you should consider is Sennheiser's HD598.  It's much easier to drive(than the HD650), the sound stage is almost as big as the AD700, the bass response is much better with both more impact and depth, and it works well with almost any genre of music.  Here's a link to a thread that goes more in-depth-http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553497/hd598-review-jack-of-all-trades

Users who are viewing this thread

Back