12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music
Jul 8, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #61 of 92
yeah you are looking at the wrong list.  I dont really read pitchfork but it still displays a lot of artists from the 90s that I find to be critically important to music.  There are plenty from the 2000s as well.  It just depennds on the publication.  While I don't follow stuff like that here's a list that at least tries to care about more than just amount of $ a band made.

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/5923-top-100-albums-of-the-1990s/1/

Between 2000-2004 (just from a glance at my mp3 collection, notable albums).  While some of these may not be billboard artists, many are very well noted, critically renowned, or play at big festivals like coachella.  Obviously you won't be hearing godspeed on the radio.  Take it or leave it, but I don't consider music to have taken a turn for the worse.  I steer clear of popular music from any era for the most part (meaning billboard top hits).  Occasionally our paths cross but generally speaking I do not like it.

Godspeed You Black Emperor released lift your skinny fists
Boards of Canada
Joanna Newsom had her debut "the milk-eyed mender"
Fennesz - Endless Summer 
Fugazi - The Argument
Daft Punk - Discovery
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
Radiohead - Kid A
Bjork - Vespertine
Iron & Wine - The creek drank the cradle
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Sufjan Stevens - Greetings from Michigan
Yo La Tengo - Summer Sun
Air -Talkie Walkie
Tortoise - Its All Around You

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #62 of 92
The saddest part is that a lot of people just don`t have the time or knowledge to search or discover  different music, so they probably have to accept what is offered by claiming that there`s no more good music,
as for those who really like  hip hop, then its ok, there`s no point in saying my taste is better than yours,

I always find strange that most of TV comercial music, is new good music, smth like FFoxes, Griezly Bear, The Black Keys, they don`t use Rhiana for the new Mercedez..
so things could change sometimes..

ps: they use JLopez for the Fiat

Jul 8, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #63 of 92
I don't think anyone's arguing that good music isn't being produced today. If you think that there's no good modern music out there then you're not looking hard enough.

The argument is that popular music has degraded significantly over the years. What was popular 30-40 years ago is superior musically to what is popular today. And I'm inclined to agree. I think some thug talking into a mic about drugs and women over a one-dimensional drum machine can hardly be considered music.

Jul 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #64 of 92
Disappointing fact about Popular Music  #13: 
People still listen to The Egos The Eagles.

BTW, OJNeg, I really like your Avatar!   Sonny should be President of the USA!  No irony intended..............
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #66 of 92
Quote:
The word good music is what we really disagree on. Some of you think it's the lyrics and how it just fits. Me? I like music that "sounds " good to me. It really doesn't matter what they are saying. Heck , I listen to songs in other languages that I dont even know what they are saying.

+1

Exactly. I couldn't agree with this more.

Jul 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #67 of 92
+2 well said. Interesting topic 

I listen to you name it from modern rap, hip-hop to the 1950's jazz, just depends on what I am doing and what I want to hear 
I have to admit that my taste , in music, continues to evolve  

Jul 8, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #68 of 92
Quote:
+1

Exactly. I couldn't agree with this more.

"Well you see why new music sucks. It doesn't have dem lyrics man! Those kids! REAL music has these lyrics that actually mean something. All music today is crap. Music back then was good music"

So just because a song doesn't have thoughtfull and self written lyrics, it's not good music and is thus crap?

"Have you seen those video's! They aren't wearing anything and are saying racist and sexist things! And it's just terrible music!"

If I remember correctly, the music that is considered good was considered the devils music in the 20's with their new age of sexual conformity and again later on when music brought in drugs and who's artists of which many abused them. What about famous artists who have been known or have claimed to sleep with hundreds of women, Marley's influnce and use of drugs on the people then and today and the many times and lyrics of racism and sexism exhibited in the lyrics of the previous "generation" of music(although many have also tried to help with the cause of racism and sexism)

All in all, the point I am trying to make is that using the word "good" brings many problems into the mix. it could be that you have a problem with how the artists are dressing today, the "influences" they are having. The thoughtless lyrics or whatever. My point is, you can't just use the word good and enforce it on others as what good music is as back then(again, I personally don't like using back then or generation or old as it creates a huge seperation but I'm too tired to think of a more intelligent phrase) the adults of that time said the same thing.

iT'S not a direct corelation but here, what we don't and shouldn't do on our forums is say this:

BEATS suck, Sony sucks, Skullcandy sucks, phillips suck, any other brand that you know of for headphones? Sucks because its so colred and inaccurate man!

This is the type of attitude and feeling I am getting from some of you.

We should break down the types of headphones they are and what and who they benefit. Ultrasone's or Beyer's or STAX aren't for everybody. EAch person has something that they want or just don't care about.

Something like this:
Beats in terms of full audio reproduction and what the claim's imply(but don't specifically say to not get sued) are not very good. They produce a bass centered sound that is overly warm and "deep" with forward but unclear vocals. However what they do have is a combo of intergration. They are extremely comfortable(opinion) and have a streamlined design. The entire design of the cable makes it portable in a sense (studio's and solo's only, the most bought ones) as it doesn't obstruct your way and doesn't just fly everywhere. They are also favored by others and the majority of peers right now and in all honesty make you "Cooler". For audio reproduction purposes themselves, they wouldn't be the best choice, but for $200 to $300 it offers a combo of bass centered sound that many popular music today work well with with a level of comfort and intergration of it's components that is a bit hard to find and also they look good(to the people that buy them usually) and offer a sense of higher class feeling due to the brand name.

Don't overanalyze this anecodte. It's not perfect and has many holes you can take and shoot me with, but it's kinda basing back to what I mean of not just taking your bias and showering it on everyone 

Jul 8, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #69 of 92
Quote:
The word good music is what we really disagree on. Some of you think it's the lyrics and how it just fits. Me? I like music that "sounds " good to me. It really doesn't matter what they are saying. Heck , I listen to songs in other languages that I dont even know what they are saying.

bowei, you the panda. +4 bamboo shoots.

Besides, population has grown a bit since the 60s, 70s and 80s. Standards of living have gone up and more people now are able to have the expendable income to splurge on music. 99 cent downloads of single songs from a 3/4G connection from the convenience of wherever the hell you happen to be sitting when the urge to spend arises (like when that Rhianna song starts playing while you're eating at Chipotle) and "click." There goes download number 8,000,001.

Jul 8, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #70 of 92
Quote:
bowei, you the panda. +4 bamboo shoots.

Besides, population has grown a bit since the 60s, 70s and 80s. Standards of living have gone up and more people now are able to have the expendable income to splurge on music. 99 cent downloads of single songs from a 3/4G connection from the convenience of wherever the hell you happen to be sitting when the urge to spend arises (like when that Rhianna song starts playing while you're eating at Chipotle) and "click." There goes download number 8,000,001.

And music is music, there are many types of it. Back then in the 70's in Russia, there was a quote I read of the clubs playing American music. They didn't know what they were saying but it just felt good! Everything just fit and they loved the songs and just danced to them.

There are types of music that are lyrics based and others that just go with the beat and make you wanna dance and many other types. Songs like PArty Rock Anthemn and Boom Boom Pow make you wanna get up and just dance while others like Mozart's piano concerto's or other claisscal songs from Michael Loh just make you want to sit down in a quiet room with very good headphones and just absolutely enjoy the musical euphoria that is about to arrive.

Hey Jude and Imagine just makes you want to think of what the artists were thinking of. Analyze the lyrics and what they mean, what is going on. How is this relating to the world then and today.

And songs form the Lonely Island make me want to laugh as it feautres a bit of everything. The songs are recorded and produced well, they have a nice beat and very pleasant and fun and engaging to listen to even if you don't know the words..and then when you finally and really listen to the words/lyrics. It just makes you want to chuckle at it because everything was done so professionally and made to seem like a real song.

And then....here comes Metallica, and slipknot, and disturbed and linkin park that make you wonder about things, make you want to rock out, move your head around, scream with them at the world , at the agony that you may feel. STay in your room alone a bit, listen to the words of Chester from Linkin Park as he sings "In the end" or "numb" or listen to "Say goodbye" from Skillet and "I'll be missing you" by Puff Daddy when you just lost a friend or loved one..

Music comes in many different forms, calling the specific types from the "previous generation" good and todays music abomination even with realizing that there are good ones is simply incorrect in my opinion.

Edit:
and really, looking back at the front page link here
http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/12-extremely-disappointing-facts-about-popular-mus

Just as Nahn said.....we have more people that can hear more songs that are being played today(american popular songs play worldwide) with easier downloads and a easier way to spread the song's fame 

I don't see anything that even matters on this list at all really.

This is how I see the list: these are not facts but a comedic list.

4 extremely dissapointing facts of our century:
  • The Toyota 4Runner sold MORE THAN the Ford Model T (can you believe this!, the generation today..soooooooo stupid)
  • Bakugan trading toys and games are selling more than the white porcelain dolls my daughter played with on our journey to the west on our covered wagons! (our culture is dying)
  • An Dell pavillion has sold more units than the Comodore 64 (the comodore 64 had instructions written on it that.... "Actually meant something" and not this jargon today!" We had real writers then!
  • More transistors are being sold than tube amplifiers today..... 
  •  

Jul 8, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #71 of 92
well in terms of the actual topic, as far as pop music goes, nothing has changed because human nature hasn't changed.  that's sodeep

Jul 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #72 of 92
Violence, fighting, gambling, cheating, drinking, hard living and hard times have always been a part of folk music. 
Listen to some of the old blues from the 40s and 50s, a lot of these songs are really about the singer (or the character in the song) bragging to the audience what a "real man" he is. 

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #73 of 92
Quote:

I understand where you're coming from. Don't get me wrong, I don't spend hours listening to Nicki Minaj. Lol. But I guess what I meant was, is that I wasn't expecting to like a single song of hers, and it turns out there's a few that I actually enjoy listening to. Which surprised me quite a bit. To me, I don't really care if an artist is 'manufactured'. Honestly, for me, all that matters is if I find something in a song or piece of music that I can enjoy.

Alright. Yeah, I get what you're saying now.

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #75 of 92

Users who are viewing this thread

Back