$100 Headphones, Grado, M50s?
Feb 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #16 of 36
Ok I'm sorry to keep bumping this thread but I'm very skeptical about the M50s and DJ100. 

For the M50s, I've read too many people talking about the strong bass and how it overpowers mids. However, with the DJ100s, I've heard great sound really only comes out when using an amp, which I don't plan on doing. 

With this in mind, does anyone know of other more balanced, closed headphones? If it's tricky at the $100 price-range, I'd be willing to bump up a little bit, but I'd really rather stay at 100.

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #17 of 36
Grados...in all honesty...can't be heard from more than a few feet away if you listen to them at a reasonable level. When I let my g/f listen to them when I want her to hear a song...she will be standing literally 5 feet or less from me and I cannot hear anything and they are turned up to my normal listening volume. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #18 of 36
While I'll take the DJ100's over the M50's any day, I think the M50's might be a safer bet. If you've been reading into the DJ100's you might see there are some pretty mixed opinions on them, and they may or may not be your cup of tea. But most everyone who tried the M50's love them. I think they really only have recessed mids compared to mid-centric phones, but I think they'd be fine coming from just about any other headphone in their price range.

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #19 of 36
Hmm, well, Kukuk, what do you think of the M50s vs. Grado SR80s? 

And are you sure about the noise leakage? When I'm in the library I play my music at a really low level, but I would hate for it to leak. 

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #20 of 36
Grados leak like a sieve, even at pretty low volumes. I'm also not a fan of their sound, much too harsh for me.

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #21 of 36
Grados sound awesome and they are not nearly as loud to others as some people might lead you to believe. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #22 of 36
Haha, I'm getting some mixed opinions. I'm honestly frozen with indecision right now, though I'm a little inclined to go for the Grados at this point, but I'm still very skeptical of the leakage. Can anyone else testify as to how much these headphones leak? At low volumes, would it be suitable in a college library?

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #23 of 36

Quote:
Haha, I'm getting some mixed opinions. I'm honestly frozen with indecision right now, though I'm a little inclined to go for the Grados at this point, but I'm still very skeptical of the leakage. Can anyone else testify as to how much these headphones leak? At low volumes, would it be suitable in a college library?

not for library use, unless you want to get booted

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #24 of 36
Different people have different opinions. Depends how much bass you want. Some people say too much bass in the M50, I definitely say not enough. And if you don't mind me asking, where do you plan on getting the M50's around $100 if you end up choosing them? On every website they rather shot up in price or are on backorder.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #25 of 36
m50 is best for sealing noise. I still haven't found a better headphone for that. so it\'s perfect for subway and bus., sometimes long listenning can be fatique , so you might need a open can to complement. mine is ksc75

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #28 of 36
go with grado. The m50 have recess mids but better high and lows. Mids are the meat of the music sandwich

Dj100 maybe a good alternative for library use, but need amp

I have been told to turn down the volume in a library with the following headphones:
koss porta pro, ksc75, hsc50, ksc 55, mac/5
sony v6 (this is closed but leaks when pads are worn out)
grado sr60, sr80
senheiser px100

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #29 of 36
get m50 and m1 together, one for home while another one for library. You do need a library headphone, sometimes people in library makes noise. might affect your study. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #30 of 36
You may want to add the DN-HP700 to your choices. I listened to a pair of ATH M50, Denon DN-HP1000, and Denon DN HP700 today and after 45 minutes of listening walked out with the DN700. It had better bass than the other 2, better mids, and better treble, and better sound stage than the M50 (can't say about the HP1000 as I really disliked it so didn't listen long enough to tell). I own a apir of AH-D7000 and think the HP700 has a more forward mid-range than that headphone and close to as good a bass and treble. It is also a comfortable headphone aside from getting warm after listening a while. I won't say anymore as I have note burned this in yet so my opinion may change but right now I think it's very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back