「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Dec 31, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #46,786 of 177,750
Quote:
dat neon evangelion ending was... but then again budget cuts + depression w/ director = that

Yeah I can imagine. I saw the series 3-4 times in a year back when I was around 9 or 10. I remember everything being fine until the ending. I was so confused back then.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #46,787 of 177,750
@#veryone
What are some artists you expressely remember from you childhood and adolescense that originated from an anime. We have all seen anime and liked some songs back when we were small. And found a band whose song was the shizz.

So what are the artists that have left that impression with you and where are they today?

Mine are:
FLOW
See-Saw

FLOW because they were one of the first few Naruto OP artists but most importantly because their song DAYS was the OP for Eureka 7.

See-Saw because I loved Hack Sign and Gundam Seed of which they worked on some key songs in those.

Today FLOW is one of the most anime recognized artists. Having their songs featured in OP and ED of a plethora of anime. They are also popular in Japan. Outside of anime, they aren't too big in terms of American recognization. Over here, their name is generally tied to an anime.

See-Saw disbanded in 2005. The last key projects they worked with were Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny. Their participation in those two shows have netted Sea-Saw's signers spots on anime con's often. The first singer Chiaki, after the breakup had a song in Gundam 00 S2, Sengoku Basara, Gundam 00 Movie, Kamisama Dolls, and Bokurano. Her former co singer Yuki has had an even more impressive solo carrer after See-saw. She as a soloist went on to sign and get featured in My Otome, Tsubassa, My Otome Zwei, Fist of the north star, Pandora Hearts, Puella Magica, Fate/Zero, and Sword Art Online. She also provided some songs for Blood and Xenosaga.

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #46,788 of 177,750
Quote:
We have all seen anime and liked some songs back when we were small.

Not really. I've only seen ghibli films before 2008...
They were dubbed too....

I guess "Kimi wo Nosete" by Joe Hisaishi ft. Azumi Inoue left me an impression...
(What all the original versions on youtube got muted......)

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #46,789 of 177,750
Entire OST for Vision of Escaflowne. First anime I ever watched. They had reruns on back when I was in 1st grade. So I guess Yoko Kanno and Maaya Sakamoto would be the ones that left a lasting impression. 

And we all know where they ended up (Bebop, Wolf's Rain, RahXephon, etc, etc). 

Not too fond of the art as of right now, prefer the movie art better.

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #46,790 of 177,750
Quote:
Entire OST for Vision of Escaflowne. First anime I ever watched. They had reruns on back when I was in 1st grade. So I guess Yoko Kanno and Maaya Sakamoto would be the ones that left a lasting impression. 

And we all know where they ended up (Bebop, Wolf's Rain, RahXephon, etc, etc). 

Not too fond of the art as of right now, prefer the movie art better.

I've seen the movie, not the TV series

What do you recommend? I forgot the movie.

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #46,791 of 177,750
Quote:
I've seen the movie, not the TV series

What do you recommend? I forgot the movie.

The movie is quite a bit different from the TV series. In fact some pretty drastic re-characterizing. Art is VASTLY improved. And I mean night and day. Personally I like the movie better, but still a sentimental soft spot for the TV series, since it did take my anime virginity. Also like the OST a bit better.

Would suggest both. Different enough to warrant both a watch. I would start out with the series first, then realize how the movie polished up character design, themes, plot (original is a bit over the place), pretty much everything. Or just rewatch the movie if time's limiting and you just want the whole Escaflowne experience. Haven't watched it in a year, might do so again.

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #46,792 of 177,750
Quote:

The movie is quite a bit different from the TV series. In fact some pretty drastic re-characterizing. Art is VASTLY improved. And I mean night and day. Personally I like the movie better, but still a sentimental soft spot for the TV series, since it did take my anime virginity. Also like the OST a bit better.

Would suggest both. Different enough to warrant both a watch. I would start out with the series first, then realize how the movie polished up character design, themes, plot (original is a bit over the place), pretty much everything. Or just rewatch the movie if time's limiting and you just want the whole Escaflowne experience. Haven't watched it in a year, might do so again.

.......weird usage of word right there.

I'll just rewatch the movie :/ 

I'm watching Gundam Wing Endless Waltz BD Remaster right now.

I may watch the series again. Who knows :)

So many Nazi's in this movie *sigh*.

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #46,795 of 177,750
Quote:
Can't stop laughing at this:

See you all in the New Year. 
biggrin.gif

i don't get it?

You too.
Quote:
How so?

Yep, rewatching the movie since it was brought up (rewatching tons of stuff today). Anyone know if niizk's is any good? I think I have THORA's somewhere, but can't for the life of me find it.

Anime Virginity?

Niizk's?

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #46,799 of 177,750
Do I watch Battle Royale or Ted (Just watched Project X- 8/10)???

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #46,800 of 177,750
@JGray
JoJo wasn't as good as you describe it to be, but still an overall good episode. I really like the new villain/arch enemy actually, and I was afraid that the new setting would be bad, but it turns out to have quite a lot of potential. I can see myself liking this new arch quite a lot.

Rationally thinking, I can see how. I'm not too enamoured by it once the first-time-awestruck effect wears off. But it does still shows how the Pillar Man is kind of terrifying, even more terrifying that Dio/Straits was.

Time to marathon the 10 eps of JoJo I've missed, its gon' be good.

Morning all, night rikkun.

Woah. That's too much awesomeness in one go LOL.

So you would 9/10 times prefer a dub? 

Why not? Less focus trying to read subtitles = more focus on the anime = more enjoyment. Simple as that.

So I just watched the Rurouni Kenshin live action movie.

It wasn't terrible.

Hmm? I've saw the trailer and it's kind of awesome-looking. How bad is it?
---------------------------------------
All this talk of marathon makes me feel like I need to do one for Mouretsu Space Pirates and close/open the year with high-school girls in space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back