「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jul 8, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #173,927 of 177,745
@ Made in Abyss ep01

Fabulous art + fabulous song/soundtracks, wow I am so hyped now >.<

This classroom design looks interesting poi
I would be very surprised if this doesn't end up being my AOTS.

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #173,930 of 177,745
I mean I don't really think a lot of people care. I've heard about performance cheating occasionally but it doesn't really seem to affect much. For the most part, they're usually the flagship chipsets and devices and in normal use you're probably never going to notice anyways. I don't think mobile enthusiasts are as anal about numbers as desktop enthusiasts, and even when we see news of something like "x benchmark was more optimized for Intel over AMD since it used an Intel favored compiler" or something we don't particularly care all that much either. It's not like one benchmark dictates everything we're going to do.

I don't remember it being a bribe. I heard they just worked closely with DxOMark and kind of played the grading system by focusing on the parts that affected the overall score more and not really caring about the parts that didn't so just looking at the photos in the test you can tell that the OP5 is only a decent camera, not an outstanding one.
it's like anything else, when one single testing method becomes the reference, manufacturers become interested in doing good in it. DXO, while still a silly half done software(who does post processing without giving mask or brush to the user???? they don't get my money anymore), it has become the reference for objective data on lenses and cameras. which will obviously leads to choices like "do we care for perceived image quality or about passing a measurement?"
and I'm also of the opinion that we're dumb and for the most part don't change our behavior when it's a gentle sodomy. Nvdia &co did it so many times, browsers, cars... at the time they sell a lot of products, and in the end they only need to get away with it long enough for the next product to come around with the next marketing trick. plus once people get some false information like that, most of the time rebuttals don't get the same coverage nor the same subjective impact. if something as huge as what happened with Volkswagen can end up with them making profits, it's fair to say that cheating is a good idea. :hear_no_evil::see_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

So it's kinda like knowing exactly what content is going to be on a test (but not the exact answer) while everyone else doesn't.

With the way their "partnership" was phrased it seemed like DxO had some amount of "financial persuasion" to beat even the LG G6's score.

Why'd OnePlus have to be so shady about the OP5?
First it was the cheating of benchmark programs, then the bribing of the DxOmark score. What man...
Hate to break it to you, but they've been shady from the beginning. Anything from dishonesty about little things to outright lying.

Did you know that not a single one of OnePlus' phones have an AR coating on the rear camera lens? Most phones - even Oppo's cheap F1S F1s - has one.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #173,932 of 177,745
Hate to break it to you, but they've been shady from the beginning. Anything from dishonesty about little things to outright lying.

Did you know that not a single one of OnePlus' phones have an AR coating on the rear camera lens? Most phones - even Oppo's cheap F1S F1s - has one.
:<

Didn't know about the AR coating. It's not something most people would worry about though, unlike DxOmark scores or CPU benchmarks. I've never even heard of the AR coating term being thrown around outside of iPhones.

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #173,933 of 177,745
:<

Didn't know about the AR coating. It's not something most people would worry about though, unlike DxOmark scores or CPU benchmarks. I've never even heard of the AR coating term being thrown around outside of iPhones.
It's not something people actively worry about, but it's better to have one than not, of course. In certain conditions the presence/absence of a coating might be apparent. And most people aren't even aware of such a difference. Ignorance is bliss...

Most phones have an AR coating on the rear camera lens. Very few have them for the front camera lens, and only the iPhone has the interiors of both cameras coated as well.

IMG_1165.JPG
No AR coating

IMG_1166.JPG
A spitting image

IMG_2529.JPG
AR coating inside S7 lens

RaMdoSMuZxNOaTdH.jpg
tOmM5VIDB2lDxf6J.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #173,934 of 177,745
I actually like the 6 and 6S camera ring bump over the 7's sloped bump. I don't know why but the 7 bump just doesn't look nice.

Best "bump" is the S8 and S7 protective ring. Minimum z-height and still somewhat protects camera glass.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #173,935 of 177,745
I actually like the 6 and 6S camera ring bump over the 7's sloped bump. I don't know why but the 7 bump just doesn't look nice.

Best "bump" is the S8 and S7 protective ring. Minimum z-height and still somewhat protects camera glass.
Yeah, the only downside is how unnecessarily big the lens is. It breaks pretty easily, and once it develops a hole, and broken glass, dust and debris gets into the camera mechanism, it won't be able to focus and start to become blurry and stuff.

The most practical Samsung camera bumps were the ones found on the Galaxy S2 and Note 3, which had a metal surround that protected the lens well.

Jul 9, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #173,938 of 177,745
I never thought I'd say this but I haven't been watching anime for weeks now and I don't feel like watching anime any time soon..... :S
Same here

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #173,939 of 177,745
Yeah, the only downside is how unnecessarily big the lens is. It breaks pretty easily, and once it develops a hole, and broken glass, dust and debris gets into the camera mechanism, it won't be able to focus and start to become blurry and stuff.

The most practical Samsung camera bumps were the ones found on the Galaxy S2 and Note 3, which had a metal surround that protected the lens well.

Huawei's P9/10 and iPhone SE way of doing the camera works well too. Doubles as antenna lines too (kind of?). There's only so many ways to make the back of a phone not look bland anyways.

What is the phone with the best or prettiest back anyways that won't get infested with fingerprints (aka goodbye all glass backs and **** them). Or is the Nokia way of polycarbonate back the best way.

I never thought I'd say this but I haven't been watching anime for weeks now and I don't feel like watching anime any time soon..... :S
Same here

Always feels like there's less and less to watch. Maybe once it comes winter break I'll rewatch SZS.

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #173,940 of 177,745
my issue is never that I can't find anything to watch. it really comes down to making good use of my mandatory procrastination time, and anime(or tv series) take a lot of time to watch.
but I have a plan:
humans spend 1/3rd of their life sleeping.
sleep 12 hours a day.
= profit of eternal life to watch anime.
200.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back