「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jul 8, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #173,913 of 177,745
Ah what the hell let's double post to make it to a nice even 3,000 posts.

049d12d5233800b67f3ce569375baab8d1d189f02f2c18852ad04a54fc066663_1.gif

Happy 3000th post~

Hmm, should I delete the post and take him back down to 2,999 because he posted 2 in rapid succession?

Do it for him! He lost his 3000th virginity. Make him un-lose it! :D

3K virgin again.

How many people will die to have a second chance... :')

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #173,914 of 177,745
AFAIK it's similar to the big.little designs, it's totally transparent to the app developers and we're not able to run both the high power and low power cores at the same time, the scheduler(?) takes care of that stuff.
Governor, maybe?

The main reason Apple can get away with less cores and less memory is because how efficient everything is and how streamlined it is since they have control over effectively everything from hardware to software.
Something like Geekbench should give you a good idea of a device's performance regardless of optimization, right?

Ah what the hell let's double post to make it to a nice even 3,000 posts.

049d12d5233800b67f3ce569375baab8d1d189f02f2c18852ad04a54fc066663_1.gif
ezgif-1-0818bbe7df.gif

Just traded a Galaxy S4 with a broken but working screen for a broken FRP locked Galaxy S7 edge that has a flickering screen. It doesn't flicker when at max brightness! Gotta love the fragility of Super AMOLED.

IMG_2633.JPG IMG_2631.JPGIMG_2635.JPGIMG_2636.JPG

Jul 8, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #173,916 of 177,745
Something like Geekbench should give you a good idea of a device's performance regardless of optimization, right?

I mean I already talked about core + transistor count versus die size so.

And yes and no. It's not hard for manufacturers to cheat on those tests. I think a few companies were reported to cheat on GB3. Kind of like how just recently, OnePlus cheated on DxOmark.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #173,917 of 177,745
¿Qué es esto?
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes

I mean I already talked about core + transistor count versus die size so.

And yes and no. It's not hard for manufacturers to cheat on those tests. I think a few companies were reported to cheat on GB3. Kind of like how just recently, OnePlus cheated on DxOmark.
Sure it's unethical, but you can't really inflate those numbers beyond what the hardware is physically capable of, and when people find out that a manufacturer cheated in benchmarks the resulting fallout would outweigh any publicity it might have gained.

OnePlus cheated on DxOmark?

CdMY2mQW0AExqBc.jpg

Edit: I did not hear anything about this, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.
Edit 2: ah I see, it seems that OnePlus bribed DxO to inflate the score

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #173,918 of 177,745
Sure it's unethical, but you can't really inflate those numbers beyond what the hardware is physically capable of, and when people find out that a manufacturer cheated in benchmarks the resulting fallout would outweigh any publicity it might have gained.

OnePlus cheated on DxOmark?

Edit: I did not hear anything about this, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.
Edit 2: ah I see, it seems that OnePlus bribed DxO to inflate the score

I mean I don't really think a lot of people care. I've heard about performance cheating occasionally but it doesn't really seem to affect much. For the most part, they're usually the flagship chipsets and devices and in normal use you're probably never going to notice anyways. I don't think mobile enthusiasts are as anal about numbers as desktop enthusiasts, and even when we see news of something like "x benchmark was more optimized for Intel over AMD since it used an Intel favored compiler" or something we don't particularly care all that much either. It's not like one benchmark dictates everything we're going to do.

I don't remember it being a bribe. I heard they just worked closely with DxOMark and kind of played the grading system by focusing on the parts that affected the overall score more and not really caring about the parts that didn't so just looking at the photos in the test you can tell that the OP5 is only a decent camera, not an outstanding one.

Jul 8, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #173,919 of 177,745
it's like anything else, when one single testing method becomes the reference, manufacturers become interested in doing good in it. DXO, while still a silly half done software(who does post processing without giving mask or brush to the user???? they don't get my money anymore), it has become the reference for objective data on lenses and cameras. which will obviously leads to choices like "do we care for perceived image quality or about passing a measurement?"
and I'm also of the opinion that we're dumb and for the most part don't change our behavior when it's a gentle sodomy. Nvdia &co did it so many times, browsers, cars... at the time they sell a lot of products, and in the end they only need to get away with it long enough for the next product to come around with the next marketing trick. plus once people get some false information like that, most of the time rebuttals don't get the same coverage nor the same subjective impact. if something as huge as what happened with Volkswagen can end up with them making profits, it's fair to say that cheating is a good idea. :hear_no_evil::see_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

Jul 8, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #173,920 of 177,745
It doesn't matter as much if it's just one benchmark among many that can do the same or similar functions but the DxOMark one mattered so much because reviewers kept referencing it and it's more or less the only one of its kind from what I know.

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #173,921 of 177,745
@ Made in Abyss ep01

Fabulous art + fabulous song/soundtracks, wow I am so hyped now >.<
made_in_abyss_ep01_01.png

This classroom design looks interesting poi
made_in_abyss_ep01_02.png

Jul 8, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #173,925 of 177,745
@ Made in Abyss ep01

Fabulous art + fabulous song/soundtracks, wow I am so hyped now >.<

This classroom design looks interesting poi
thanks, I'll look that one up. they should have the opportunity to draw some pretty amazing scenery and creatures. I hope I won't get disappointed. the manga throws a few onion shuriken in the eyes from time to time. not as bad as something like "Yakusoku no neverland" but still makes Oliver Twist think "dayum those nice kids are screwed, I wouldn't trade my life for theirs".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back