☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
May 12, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #1,441 of 5,932
Hello thread,

I've ordered a LC but I'm a little confused about the no-power cable disclaimer....i'm super skeptical about the whole spending a relatively large amount of money compared to the amp on a power cable (USD 150ish), can someone let me know whether is will be needed for the LC?

May 12, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #1,442 of 5,932
  Hello thread,

I've ordered a LC but I'm a little confused about the no-power cable disclaimer....i'm super skeptical about the whole spending a relatively large amount of money compared to the amp on a power cable (USD 150ish), can someone let me know whether is will be needed for the LC?

Oh no.......here comes the cable talk/fight.
evil_smiley.gif

Well just my 2 cents but if you really don't think upgrading power cables will work then it's not really "needed". But if you do or if you have a truck load of cash then it's worth a try I guess?

May 12, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #1,443 of 5,932
  Hello thread,

You will need a power cable. If you don't believe in quality power cable making a diff ... just use those from your computer and it will work :)

May 12, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #1,444 of 5,932
  Hello thread,

I think this was covered earlier in the thread, along with power conditioning questions.  Personally, I'll be using one of about a hundred freebie kettle leads I have sat in my cupboard (as I do with all my gear).  But, as with all things audiophile...YMMV.

May 12, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #1,445 of 5,932

You will need a power cable. If you don't believe in quality power cable making a diff ... just use those from your computer and it will work :)

I think this was covered earlier in the thread, along with power conditioning questions.  Personally, I'll be using one of about a hundred freebie kettle leads I have sat in my cupboard (as I do with all my gear).  But, as with all things audiophile...YMMV.

Yup.  I'll pull one out of the closet from an old computer or TV or something.  I'm 100% sure enough electricity will get from the power strip / surge protector to the amp.  But then again, these are my XLR interconnect choice....

No, I'm not slamming other's choices for nice cables.  I occasionally have cable envy.  I just don't have the budget to satisfy my cable envy.  I do think the Liquid Carbon is worthy of nice cables if one so desires.

May 12, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #1,446 of 5,932
  Hello thread,

There's no power cable for 2 reasons:
1. Some will use their own "better" cable anyway.
2. The Liquid Carbon ships worldwide and Cavalli would have to include the right cable and/or several adapters to ensure it works everywhere. Using a power plug adapter would not be ideal for this type of audio equipment and imagine (instead) if you opened the box and saw 4 different, fully-wired power cables (the extra cost and shipping weight would'nt be worth it).

One of these very inexpensive cables should work well (they have different lengths too; ordered mine from here):
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022807

May 12, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #1,447 of 5,932
I feel like cables have no effect unless they're either interconnects, internal cables, or cables to the headphone/speaker. USB cables just transfer solid 1's and 0's and power cables can't make the power any better than the crap copper ones in the walls of your house. Once the electricity has been turned into an analog signal through the DAC, then maybe different cables have their own sound, but I'm just making this up based on my opinion.
I, for one, may end up getting some Cardas interconnects someday just because they look sexy as all get out to me. Otherwise any decent cable that isn't half tin should sound just about as good as any other, just with minor differences in tone or whatever. 

May 12, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #1,448 of 5,932
  I feel like cables have no effect unless they're either interconnects, internal cables, or cables to the headphone/speaker. USB cables just transfer solid 1's and 0's and power cables can't make the power any better than the crap copper ones in the walls of your house. Once the electricity has been turned into an analog signal through the DAC, then maybe different cables have their own sound, but I'm just making this up based on my opinion.
I, for one, may end up getting some Cardas interconnects someday just because they look sexy as all get out to me. Otherwise any decent cable that isn't half tin should sound just about as good as any other, just with minor differences in tone or whatever. 

It's not my intention to get into the cable debate here.  I'll just say that if one would like to debate the relative value of different cables, it would seem to be an important requirement that they've actually HEARD the cables being discussed.

May 12, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #1,449 of 5,932
  Gents, an adapter cable from RCA to XLR is not suitable for the Carbon because of its amp topology. It will lead to lower performance. It is necessary to go from RCA to RCA to achieve fully balanced operation.

Thanks or clarifying this.

I'll be returning the rca to xlr cables, will use rca to rca for the idsd micro, and will get some 3.5mm to xlr cables for the pono.

Good news is that I should be able to connect both the micro and pono without switching wires.

With that setup, would I be able to do an A/B comparison by switching the SE/bal button in front? Correct me if I'm wrong but, as Dr. C. already confirmed all the front outputs work no matter which input is used, I assume the SE/bal button is for switching the rear inputs.

May 12, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #1,451 of 5,932
It's not my intention to get into the cable debate here.  I'll just say that if one would like to debate the relative value of different cables, it would seem to be an important requirement that they've actually HEARD the cables being discussed.

Which is why I haven't mentioned any specific cables. :wink:
I'm just posting my ideas to see if I'm right in any way and to see what about my opinion is wrong. I'm still learning the ropes, since I've been in this hobby only a few years, and the only cables I've actually heard on my rig are PYST so I can't say a cable will make a difference for certain. The main appeal of a cable to me is reliability, good materials, and maybe even looks if it comes down to it.

I still like Schiit's attitude on cables and I go by that often since they've been in the business for longer thanI've been alive.

May 12, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #1,452 of 5,932
Which is why I haven't mentioned any specific cables.
wink.gif

I'm just posting my ideas to see if I'm right in any way and to see what about my opinion is wrong. I'm still learning the ropes, since I've been in this hobby only a few years, and the only cables I've actually heard on my rig are PYST so I can't say a cable will make a difference for certain. The main appeal of a cable to me is reliability, good materials, and maybe even looks if it comes down to it.

I still like Schiit's attitude on cables and I go by that often since they've been in the business for longer thanI've been alive.

Well I had my mind blown at CanJam when I compared a $500 Nordost USB cable to a "regular" USB cable (quotes because I think it was still an $80 cable) and there was a blatantly obvious difference that was noticeable even in the bad listening environment there.  

I was saying literally the same things as you over breakfast with @mscott58 and @AxelCloris and Mike from Woo Audio.  USB cables, especially, shouldn't make a difference because 1's and 0's are ones and zeroes, right?  Well, Mike invited me up to his booth to see for myself and so I did.  I'm still mad at him because I'm not interested in spending $500 on a USB cable, but now I know what I'm missing!  lol

Anyhow, not interested in debating cables, as I said.  I'm just suggesting that you should probably try some for yourself; most cable believers also agree that it doesn't make sense on paper but it happens nonetheless.  I have my doubts about power cables, but I don't plan on commenting about it until I've tried some nice ones for myself.  I learned my lesson!  lol

May 12, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #1,453 of 5,932

Well I had my mind blown at CanJam when I compared a $500 Nordost USB cable to a "regular" USB cable (quotes because I think it was still an $80 cable) and there was a blatantly obvious difference that was noticeable even in the bad listening environment there.  

I was saying literally the same things as you over breakfast with @mscott58 and @AxelCloris and Mike from Woo Audio.  USB cables, especially, shouldn't make a difference because 1's and 0's are ones and zeroes, right?  Well, Mike invited me up to his booth to see for myself and so I did.  I'm still mad at him because I'm not interested in spending $500 on a USB cable, but now I know what I'm missing!  lol

Anyhow, not interested in debating cables, as I said.  I'm just suggesting that you should probably try some for yourself; most cable believers also agree that it doesn't make sense on paper but it happens nonetheless.  I have my doubts about power cables, but I don't plan on commenting about it until I've tried some nice ones for myself.  I learned my lesson!  lol

Don't you tempt me. I'm already poor enough, so I'm going to make it my mission to avoid spending the last few common cents I have jingling in my pocket! 

May 12, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #1,454 of 5,932

Thanks or clarifying this.

I'll be returning the rca to xlr cables, will use rca to rca for the idsd micro, and will get some 3.5mm to xlr cables for the pono.

Good news is that I should be able to connect both the micro and pono without switching wires.

With that setup, would I be able to do an A/B comparison by switching the SE/bal button in front? Correct me if I'm wrong but, as Dr. C. already confirmed all the front outputs work no matter which input is used, I assume the SE/bal button is for switching the rear inputs.

Right. Input switch on front panel switches the rear inputs. You'll be able to do an A/B between the XLR and SE (either RCA or 3.5mm) inputs.

However (I regret to say) the same issue holds with the 3.5mm to XLR adapter. It won't provide full performance of the amp.

Only way to truly A/B is to have a balanced source and SE source each connected to their respective connectors.

May 12, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #1,455 of 5,932
There's no power cable for 2 reasons:
1. Some will use their own "better" cable anyway.
2. The Liquid Carbon ships worldwide and Cavalli would have to include the right cable and/or several adapters to ensure it works everywhere. Using a power plug adapter would not be ideal for this type of audio equipment and imagine (instead) if you opened the box and saw 4 different, fully-wired power cables (the extra cost and shipping weight would'nt be worth it).

One of these very inexpensive cables should work well (they have different lengths too; ordered mine from here):
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022807

Cheers all, I have just spent a moderate amount of money on moon audio silver moon USB and rca interconnects for my pc > Hugo > LC setup.....so I do buy into a little voodoo, it's the power chord that has me spooked (plus hard to justify to the wife) so wanted opinions. Is there any info if design wise it's vulnerable to power shaping or visa versa?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back