☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Mar 9, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #5,551 of 5,932

More than happy to weigh in for @defbear and @rigo! Yes, I had the Master-9, which is a slightly suped-up version of the amp section that's inside the Master-11. You've got a great device there, no doubt, but if you are on the fence about the LAu and wondering if it is worth it, don't be. The Liquid Gold absolutely kicks the snot out of the Audio-GD. 

The LAu feels so alive compared to the AGD. The AGD is very proficient from a technical standpoint, IMO, but it lacks magic. When you're listening to the AGD, you're listening to a great setup. When you're listening to the LAu, you are there.

IMO, one of the most magical parts is that the soundstage on the LAu doesn't seem to have any specific shape or boarders. There is just a guy, about five feet to my right and 60 degrees from center playing guitar. Until you hear that, it is nearly impossible for me to truly explain the experience to you. There is transparent, and then there is transparent. There are no headphones. You are in the room with the musician. It is a highly emotional and magical feeling that you have to experience to truly know.

The warmth and treble control are without equal. It is my all-time favorite amp for the HD800 and it makes the JPS Labs Abyss absolutely sing in a way you can never forget. The bass is powerful and very lifelike. Compared to the AGD M9, the LAu hits harder than a cement truck. Again, it is like being there. It is just so incredibly dynamic, fun and engaging. 

As far as value goes, I had the good fortune of being able to compare it head-to-head with the $7,000 Wells Audio Headtrip for about a month, and the two are absolutely neck-and-neck. If you think the Liquid Carbon was a great value, competing with amps that cost $1,000 more, consider the fact that the LAu can hang with an amp that costs $3,400 more, after your discount!

On a final side note: I have witnessed dozens of people try the LAu - both at the February Chicago meet, and in the month after (at my house) and I have yet to see a single person who isn't absolutely blown away by it. My favorite thing is when my non-audiophile friends try it. I always love watching that first moment when the music starts and they turn to look at me in wide-eyed shock, lol! These people have tried plenty of my other equipment, but nothing like this. It's just on another level. I get a kick out of it every time!

But how do you REALLY feel?  
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #5,553 of 5,932

When I sent it back to Warren yesterday, I walked out of the Fed-Ex store like this:

And when it gets there and I borrow it from him in a day or two, I'll be like this:

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #5,554 of 5,932
Hansotek might be able to give input too. He sold his M9 after he got the Crimson, saying it was outclassed. He's since had an opportunity to demo the LAu and it's even better than the Crimson. I don't want to put words in his mouth but I suspect the upgrade is a no brainer (and I love AGD).

Yes the Liquid Gold is so tempting lol. I wish I had the money to justify such luxury.:)

Sell your Carbon, sell your Crimson and use your discount, and boom, you have the LAu. :)

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #5,556 of 5,932
Sell your Carbon, sell your Crimson and use your discount, and boom, you have the LAu. :)

Lol thanks for waking the irrational audophile monkey sleeping on my back. Now I am TEMPTED to sell my Liquid Crimson and Carbon lol and get the LAU. I must take a cold shower, listen to badly recorded Metalica lol.

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #5,557 of 5,932

And when it gets there and I borrow it from him in a day or two, I'll be like this:

I can only hope @warrenpchi is going to hang around long enough to see you react to the LAu's soundstage with the HD800...

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #5,558 of 5,932
Mar 10, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #5,561 of 5,932
  How does LAu compare to Carbon?

If you consider the elements that they are named after... well... there ya go.  
smile.gif

Actually, I have a better way to put it in context.  I've said this before, but I think that the Liquid Carbon is best characterized as the offspring of a Liquid Gold and a Liquid Crimson, where 60% of it's traits are inherited from the Crimson.  The Carbon is, obviously, both less powerful and less developed than either of it's "parents."  But in terms of approximating their relative sound signatures, that's what I would say.  Of course, while the aforementioned description will make perfect sense to anybody who has heard all three, it probably won't help you as much.  But trust me when I tell you that what I just said was some deeply insightful crap.  
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I was just talking to @Stillhart about this at lunch today.  He suggested putting together a specialized thread where people that have both the Carbon, and one of our premium amps, can post comparative impressions for whatever they've got.  He even offered to organize a small tour if possible.  We have a VERY limited number of units... nearly all of which are dedicated to several shows that we're exhibiting at (beginning with CanJam SoCal 2016).  But if we can make the logistics work, I might just take him up on the offer.  Hey, you know me, I'm just itching' to start another Carbon thread.  
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #5,562 of 5,932
  When you're listening to the LAu, you are there.

There is transparent, and then there is transparent.

it makes the JPS Labs Abyss absolutely sing in a way you can never forget.

I know exactly how you feel.  
smile.gif
  And we are not alone...

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #5,563 of 5,932

If you consider the elements that they are named after... well... there ya go.  
smile.gif

Actually, I have a better way to put it in context.  I've said this before, but I think that the Liquid Carbon is best characterized as the offspring of a Liquid Gold and a Liquid Crimson, where 60% of it's traits are inherited from the Crimson.  The Carbon is, obviously, both less powerful and less developed than either of it's "parents."  But in terms of approximating their relative sound signatures, that's what I would say.  Of course, while the aforementioned description will make perfect sense to anybody who has heard all three, it probably won't help you as much.  But trust me when I tell you that what I just said was some deeply insightful crap.  
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I was just talking to @Stillhart about this at lunch today.  He suggested putting together a specialized thread where people that have both the Carbon, and one of our premium amps, can post comparative impressions for whatever they've got.  He even offered to organize a small tour if possible.  We have a VERY limited number of units... nearly all of which are dedicated to several shows that we're exhibiting at (beginning with CanJam SoCal 2016).  But if we can make the logistics work, I might just take him up on the offer.  Hey, you know me, I'm just itching' to start another Carbon thread.  
wink.gif

Was wondering about the sonic differences in terms of bass, treble etc 
smile.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #5,564 of 5,932

Was wondering about the sonic differences in terms of bass, treble etc 
smile.gif

I am so tempted to take advantage of the discount, but I really can't justify the cost. That being said, I spent close to two hours total at the Cavalli booth at RMAF last year (I kept going back... three to four times). I listened to the Liquid Gold with the Abyss headphones for perhaps an hour of that time. It was Friday afternoon and for a show like this, it was actually pretty quiet. You know, of that time I did not spend any of it analyzing things like bass and treble. I just listened to music. I listened to many genres. I listened at high levels and low levels. I was just blown away by the sound. As I said, I would leave, but the experience kept dragging me back, like some kind of addict.
I have an LC. I really like it and use it with my HE560s pretty much every day. It is a great little amp. It has never gotten close to making me feel like the Liquid Gold did. With the Abyss, or the HE1K. I also tried it with the HE560, not mine but a pair that Alex had there, again, I can't analyze the gross differences like bass and treble response, but that is not important  in this comparison, it is the overall experience of something so close to being real with the Gold compared to anything else that I have heard. As mentioned in the video, you just have to hear it. The whole in this case feels to me to be far more than the sum of its parts. Describing Bass, Mids, treble, soundstage, detail, focus, etc. Simply will not get you there.

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #5,565 of 5,932

I am so tempted to take advantage of the discount, but I really can't justify the cost.

Three weeks before this was announced I pulled the trigger on a Woo WA5.  I would have ordered a Liquid Gold minutes after this was live but cannot justify the purchase of two TOTL amps inside of a month.  The ears and heart are screaming "YES, DO IT" while the wallet and brain are screaming "ARE YOU screw**G NUTS'.  So far the wallet and brain are winning and outside of a major shift in priorities I am going to be just waving as this opportunity passes me by. Oh Well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back