☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Mar 10, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #5,566 of 5,932
  Three weeks before this was announced I pulled the trigger on a Woo WA5.  I would have ordered a Liquid Gold minutes after this was live but cannot justify the purchase of two TOTL amps inside of a month.  The ears and heart are screaming "YES, DO IT" while the wallet and brain are screaming "ARE YOU screw**G NUTS'.  So far the wallet and brain are winning and outside of a major shift in priorities I am going to be just waving as this opportunity passes me by. Oh Well!

Your brain forgets that you only have to pay for HALF right now.  By the time you have to pay the second half, your wallet will have recovered.

evil_smiley.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #5,567 of 5,932

Three weeks before this was announced I pulled the trigger on a Woo WA5.  I would have ordered a Liquid Gold minutes after this was live but cannot justify the purchase of two TOTL amps inside of a month.  The ears and heart are screaming "YES, DO IT" while the wallet and brain are screaming "ARE YOU screw**G NUTS'.  So far the wallet and brain are winning and outside of a major shift in priorities I am going to be just waving as this opportunity passes me by. Oh Well!

Your brain forgets that you only have to pay for HALF right now.  By the time you have to pay the second half, your wallet will have recovered.

evil_smiley.gif

Or...the wife or girl friend gets two shots at you instead of "just" a single (very large) one.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #5,568 of 5,932

Or...the wife or girl friend gets two shots at you instead of "just" a single (very large) one.

I keep my wife happy by never telling her how much I spend, only how much I save.  I saved $1000 on my Crimson with the RMAF special!  
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #5,570 of 5,932

I keep my wife happy by never telling her how much I spend, only how much I save.  I saved $1000 on my Crimson with the RMAF special!  
biggrin.gif

Wifes generally know that you rarely save more than 25%.
smily_headphones1.gif

They always know that you save 100% by not buying at all!

P.S. Different rules generally apply to purchases by the lady of the house.

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #5,571 of 5,932

They always know that you save 100% by not buying at all!

P.S. Different rules generally apply to purchases by the lady of the house.

True that.  I don't say anything when she goes crazy at Gymboree and buys 15 outfits for the baby that will be worn one time each.  She doesn't say anything when I score a HD800 for $650 on the classifieds and HAVE to buy it because I'm saving $950!!  lol

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #5,572 of 5,932

biggrin.gif

I'm still kicking myself on that one.

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #5,573 of 5,932
Ok, I used the Aune T1 Mk2 as a tube DAC with the Liquid Carbon and got absolutely sensational results. I had trouble deciding whether to get Liquid Glass or Liquid Gold, until I used my Feliks Audio Elise as a preamp going into the Carbon. So I'm 95% of the way towards going with the Elise into the Liquid Gold for a tube flavor instead of getting the Liquid Glass. DAC will be either Metric Halo ULN-8 or Prism Orpheus.

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #5,576 of 5,932
  Apologies if this has been asked before, but I am wondering about the suitability of this Amp, with the HD650's, T1's, HE-560's and HD-800's.

I've heard it with three of the four and it's great with all of them (really want to go balanced though).  I haven't heard it with the T1 yet, but @Hansotek has.

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #5,577 of 5,932

I've heard it with three of the four and it's great with all of them (really want to go balanced though).  I haven't heard it with the T1 yet, but @Hansotek has.

Hi. 

I am not really keen to replace the cables on my HD-650's or T1's. I haven't yet purchased a HE-560 or HD-800 but if I do, then I'll consider balanced.
What happens if I don't have balanced cables?

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #5,578 of 5,932

Hi. 

I am not really keen to replace the cables on my HD-650's or T1's. I haven't yet purchased a HE-560 or HD-800 but if I do, then I'll consider balanced.

Well the amp is designed to sound best balanced.  It puts out 4x the power in balanced mode.  The HD800 and HD650 in particular really shine with the extra power.  I thought the HD650 sounded pretty good balanced and just okay SE (that's based on my preference for a bit more open sound).

While I won't say that you need to go balanced, I'll just say that my impressions and recommendation are based on using it balanced.  

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #5,579 of 5,932

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I am wondering about the suitability of this Amp, with the HD650's, T1's, HE-560's and HD-800's.

The Beyer T1 is decently good through the LC single ended, but I would imagine it improves tremendously in balanced mode (given the improvements that generally come with going balanced). I've already talked to @Stillhart about chopping my T1 cable and adding a balanced connection and adaptor for this very reason. By all accounts it is extremely easy on the T1, I just trust his soldering skills much more than my own, lol.

Also, I run the HD800 balanced out of the LC all the time, and it is scary good. That could easily be somebody's endgame setup. Big thumbs up.

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #5,580 of 5,932

Hi. 

You definitely wouldn't have to replace the entire cable to go balanced on the T1 (assuming you have the stock cable). Even if you don't possess DIY skills, there are folks who can reterminate it for you (or chop it and make an adaptor) pretty cheaply. That cable is built with everything you need already inside -  so you can go single ended, balanced 4-pin or dual 3-pin XLR, without actually replacing the cable. It's actually pretty cool that Beyer did that, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back