☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Mar 9, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #5,537 of 5,932

Video of it playing without being plugged in..........

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #5,539 of 5,932
It was connected to the source through the RCA inputs, I'm going to video the music playing without power

What are you hooked up to for the input? Since the 3.5mm and the RCA are the same circuit is guess you are just listening to the line level signal from your source looped through the 3.5mm. Totally guessing here......

Edit: Crosspost. Yup, just saw your video. All you're doing is hearing the DAC looped through the 3.5mm input.

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #5,540 of 5,932
Interesting. I never really saw that 3.5mm before. Plugged in my IEMs in the 3.5mm jack. The volume control doesn't work and the sound is very distorted. Yes it works even when the amp is turned off, but with the same level of distortion.

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #5,541 of 5,932
Interesting. I never really saw that 3.5mm before. Plugged in my IEMs in the 3.5mm jack. The volume control doesn't work and the sound is very distorted. Yes it works even when the amp is turned off, but with the same level of distortion.

Because it's basically a line level output used this way and it may damage your IEMs/headphones, or your hearing.

Please, you guys shouldn't do this.

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #5,542 of 5,932
Because it's basically a line level output used this way and it may damage your IEMs/headphones, or your hearing.

Youre right. Couldve damaged my iems if the source was too loud.

Whats more interesting is that I never knew there was a 3.5 input on the LC. So basically you can use the mojo straight out from 3.5 to 3.5 instead of 3.5 to rca as I had thought.

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #5,543 of 5,932
The first thing I do is read the manual. :wink_face:

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #5,544 of 5,932
  My Liquid Carbon just broke I think. Getting distortion on everything at every level. It's a 2nd hand Carbon, does the warranty apply?

Yes, but you have to email warren@cavalliaudio.com to transfer the warranty.

Im working up courage to apply my LC discount on a Liquid Gold. Still, it's $3400. And I have an Audio-gd Master 11 that I just adore. Any thoughts?

I know @zach915m has both now.  Maybe he can chime in...

Agreed!  Although, I suppose that means you could use one of those two ports as a loop out (to another amp) if you wanted?

Mar 9, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #5,545 of 5,932
Im working up courage to apply my LC discount on a Liquid Gold. Still, it's $3400. And I have an Audio-gd Master 11 that I just adore. Any thoughts?

Same here. Although I wouldn't be replacing my Master 11,but adding to a second location. Most likely utilizing the preamp with a speaker set up. Haven't decided on the purchase yet...

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #5,546 of 5,932
Hansotek might be able to give input too. He sold his M9 after he got the Crimson, saying it was outclassed. He's since had an opportunity to demo the LAu and it's even better than the Crimson. I don't want to put words in his mouth but I suspect the upgrade is a no brainer (and I love AGD).

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #5,547 of 5,932
Hansotek might be able to give input too. He sold his M9 after he got the Crimson, saying it was outclassed. He's since had an opportunity to demo the LAu and it's even better than the Crimson. I don't want to put words in his mouth but I suspect the upgrade is a no brainer (and I love AGD).

Yes the Liquid Gold is so tempting lol. I wish I had the money to justify such luxury.:)

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #5,548 of 5,932
Here I am using the Carbon with a UD110v2...

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #5,549 of 5,932
Lol, I LOVE this thread!  
smile.gif

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #5,550 of 5,932

Same here. Although I wouldn't be replacing my Master 11,but adding to a second location. Most likely utilizing the preamp with a speaker set up. Haven't decided on the purchase yet...

@Hansotek might be able to give input too. He sold his M9 after he got the Crimson, saying it was outclassed. He's since had an opportunity to demo the LAu and it's even better than the Crimson. I don't want to put words in his mouth but I suspect the upgrade is a no brainer (and I love AGD).

More than happy to weigh in for @defbear and @rigo! Yes, I had the Master-9, which is a slightly suped-up version of the amp section that's inside the Master-11. You've got a great device there, no doubt, but if you are on the fence about the LAu and wondering if it is worth it, don't be. The Liquid Gold absolutely kicks the snot out of the Audio-GD. 

The LAu feels so alive compared to the AGD. The AGD is very proficient from a technical standpoint, IMO, but it lacks magic. When you're listening to the AGD, you're listening to a great setup. When you're listening to the LAu, you are there.

IMO, one of the most magical parts is that the soundstage on the LAu doesn't seem to have any specific shape or boarders. There is just a guy, about five feet to my right and 60 degrees from center playing guitar. Until you hear that, it is nearly impossible for me to truly explain the experience to you. There is transparent, and then there is transparent. There are no headphones. You are in the room with the musician. It is a highly emotional and magical feeling that you have to experience to truly know.

The warmth and treble control are without equal. It is my all-time favorite amp for the HD800 and it makes the JPS Labs Abyss absolutely sing in a way you can never forget. The bass is powerful and very lifelike. Compared to the AGD M9, the LAu hits harder than a cement truck. Again, it is like being there. It is just so incredibly dynamic, fun and engaging. 

As far as value goes, I had the good fortune of being able to compare it head-to-head with the $7,000 Wells Audio Headtrip for about a month, and the two are absolutely neck-and-neck. If you think the Liquid Carbon was a great value, competing with amps that cost $1,000 more, consider the fact that the LAu can hang with an amp that costs $3,400 more, after your discount!

On a final side note: I have witnessed dozens of people try the LAu - both at the February Chicago meet, and in the month after (at my house) and I have yet to see a single person who isn't absolutely blown away by it. My favorite thing is when my non-audiophile friends try it. I always love watching that first moment when the music starts and they turn to look at me in wide-eyed shock, lol! These people have tried plenty of my other equipment, but nothing like this. It's just on another level. I get a kick out of it every time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back