☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Apr 14, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #316 of 5,932
  I payed with PayPal. I immediately got two confirmation mails from Cavalli Audio...

This will be my 7th hp amp (two for sale), I wonder how many I need...
rolleyes.gif

Two from Cavalli, but how many from Pay Pal? I also received two from Alex but was only charged once by Pay Pal.

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #317 of 5,932

Two from Cavalli, but how many from Pay Pal? I also received two from Alex but was only charged once by Pay Pal.

same here.  one paypal payment made me breathe easier.

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #318 of 5,932
#510. I own a Cavalli
biggrin.gif
!!!!!!

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #319 of 5,932
I got through and paid with paypal. Now I need to start learning about balanced cables.

After reading Dr Cavallis explanation about how the amps balanced circuitry works I've been thinking about that myself. The cables themselves should be easy enough, just go through WyWires, ALO, or Moon Audio, they all do balanced cables. My worry is finding a good DAC with a balanced line out. I really liked what I read, spec wise, concerning the Bottlehead DAC but it doesn't have balanced out. Another company I was looking at was Calyx but I'm not sure if they offer anything with balanced out.

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #320 of 5,932
Apr 14, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #321 of 5,932
  After reading Dr Cavallis explanation about how the amps balanced circuitry works I've been thinking about that myself. The cables themselves should be easy enough, just go through WyWires, ALO, or Moon Audio, they all do balanced cables. My worry is finding a good DAC with a balanced line out. I really liked what I read, spec wise, concerning the Bottlehead DAC but it doesn't have balanced out. Another company I was looking at was Calyx but I'm not sure if they offer anything with balanced out.

Did you buy one DigitalFreak?

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #322 of 5,932
So far the only smallish dac with balanced xlr outputs is the emotive stealth dc-1. Any others that may be transtortable with the carbon?

Jim

Arcam irdac - single end out
Cypher db - rsa connector (expensive interconnect but could work)
Mousai192 - silver (I know kinda anal)

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #323 of 5,932

beerchug.gif

Wait, you're in Winnipeg???  Do you know Arly?

I have probably met him. I have been to two meets. Nathan is the only one I really know by name.

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #324 of 5,932

Based on what Dr Cavalli said about how the balanced amp works (much earlier in the thread), I'd have no hesitation using an SE DAC with it.  Keep in mind it was demoed with a Hugo at Canjam (which is SE) and based on that, a lot of folks are buying one. 

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #325 of 5,932
So far the only smallish dac with balanced xlr outputs is the emotive stealth dc-1. Any others that may be transtortable with the carbon?

Jim

Arcam irdac - single end out
Cypher db - rsa connector (expensive interconnect but could work)
Mousai192 - silver (I know kinda anal)

Hrt music streamer hd has balanced outputs and it's not too big.

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #326 of 5,932
Based on what Dr Cavalli said about how the balanced amp works (much earlier in the thread), I'd have no hesitation using an SE DAC with it.  Keep in mind it was demoed with a Hugo at Canjam (which is SE) and based on that, a lot of folks are buying one. 

Hugo will be perfect. To me it seems odd to pair a $600 amp with a $2.4k dac. Dc-1 at $500 seems a better pairing. I agree se input with Carbon should yield equally good results but if it has balanced input I would like to use them. (again being anal)

Jim

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #327 of 5,932
Hugo will be perfect. To me it seems odd to pair a $600 amp with a $2.4k dac. Dc-1 at $500 seems a better pairing. I agree se input with Carbon should yield equally good results but if it has balanced input I would like to use them. (again being anal)

Jim

Hugo + LC = BALLLERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

That said. I haven't heard the LC but the Hugo is superb. Definitely a darn good DAC.

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #328 of 5,932

Jim

Well, the Hugo is pretty overpriced and you're paying for a lot of connectivity features that you might not use.  But it does sound mighty fine!  Something like the 2Qute might work better (same sound, no bells or whistles).  

I have two or three R2R DAC's coming in that I'll be putting head to head to see which I'm keeping.  One of them is SE and I'm totally fine with that.

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #329 of 5,932

Hugo will be perfect. To me it seems odd to pair a $600 amp with a $2.4k dac. Dc-1 at $500 seems a better pairing. I agree se input with Carbon should yield equally good results but if it has balanced input I would like to use them.

I plan to use the rca outs from the idsd micro to the balanced carbon inputs.

Only issue now is how to get a 4-pin xlr or alo termination for each headphone.

Otherwise, also based on what Dr. Cavalli said, the input type to the amp doesn't matter as it always runs balanced mode internally. Using SE out means the carbon won't use all channel amps. I think he said it'd be like leaving 75% of its power on the table.

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #330 of 5,932
I'm planning to use the Liquid Carbon with a Music Hall Audio dac25.3, which is currently $549 at Moon Audio. It has balanced outs, but I've mostly been using the tube output to drive my AKG K701s, so it will be interesting to hear the difference with the all-balanced operation. It is rather larger than the Liquid Carbon though and weighs 10lbs...definitely more transportable than portable. Still, it's in the same price range and I've been very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back