☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Aug 24, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #3,077 of 5,932
Hey @Stillhart - great stuff you are posting. Thank you.

I haven't seen you comment on this, though perhaps I've missed it - it's hard to keep up. LOL

Can I ask what your thoughts are on the Uber Bifrost paired with the LC? 

Thanks.

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #3,078 of 5,932
  Hey @Stillhart - great stuff you are posting. Thank you.

I haven't seen you comment on this, though perhaps I've missed it - it's hard to keep up. LOL

Can I ask what your thoughts are on the Uber Bifrost paired with the LC? 

Thanks.

I've actually never heard the Uberfrost.  @Evshrug has one that I might be able to borrow at some point, haven't heard it yet.

Still, it's got a pretty stellar reputation.  If you like the Schiit house sound, it's certainly one of the more obvious choices of a small DAC in a similar price range to the LC.

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #3,079 of 5,932

I've actually never heard the Uberfrost.  @Evshrug has one that I might be able to borrow at some point, haven't heard it yet.

Still, it's got a pretty stellar reputation.  If you like the Schiit house sound, it's certainly one of the more obvious choices of a small DAC in a similar price range to the LC.

Thanks. Really appreciate it.

I'm thinking about upgrading so I can use the Uberfrost bedside. Could spend up to the amount of the Yggy. But I'm lost as to what would be the best. It's not that I'm sold on Schiit (though they have been good to work with), just want to get the best bang for the buck. 

Then one day I would like to go to one of the higher end Cavalli amps and want the DAC to work wonderfully with it and my LCD-X. Thoughts?

I'm excited to get my feet wet with the LC on my journey towards audio nirvana. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #3,080 of 5,932
Head-Fi has its own version of the vow of poverty :smiley:

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #3,081 of 5,932
  Thanks. Really appreciate it.

I'm thinking about upgrading so I can use the Uberfrost bedside. Could spend up to the amount of the Yggy. But I'm lost as to what would be the best. It's not that I'm sold on Schiit (though they have been good to work with), just want to get the best bang for the buck. 

Then one day I would like to go to one of the higher end Cavalli amps and want the DAC to work wonderfully with it and my LCD-X. Thoughts?

I'm excited to get my feet wet with the LC on my journey towards audio nirvana. 

My honest advice?  Spend some of that money on a flight to CO and hit up Canjam next month.  Go listen to a bunch of gear and decide for yourself what sounds good.  Nobody can tell you what will sound good to you but you.

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #3,082 of 5,932

My honest advice?  Spend some of that money on a flight to CO and hit up Canjam next month.  Go listen to a bunch of gear and decide for yourself what sounds good.  Nobody can tell you what will sound good to you but you.

Great advice. And I wish it was something easy to do. I live in Central America. A plane ticket and hotels would cost more than the multibit Gungnir. So far I've done pretty well listening to those who know much more than I do, such as you. But your point is very well taken.

One great thing for me is that I don't know what I don't know. LOL What I have sounds great. I imagine there is better. Thus purchased the LC but have an Asgard 2. Could always use an extra station to listen in another area.

I really appreciate the info you are giving here. Thanks.

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #3,083 of 5,932
@Stillhart am I mistaken, or does your evidence of the GMB single ended vs the Dac-19 single ended vs the Theta balanced vs single ended vs the GMB balanced vs single ended really point out that the SE implimentation on the GMB is the weakest of the above, and not so much that the phase splitter on the LC is not so great?

I'm not trying to be cheeky or to bash the SE implimentation on the GMB, but unless I missed something, all the "good" SE implimentations above (Theta SE, Dac-19) went through the phase splitter, along with the "less good" implimentation above, the GMB SE?  The other "good" implimentations were of course the balanced Theta and GMB.

This just seems to show:
1) that not all dac implimentations/circuits/outputs are created equal
2) The phase splitter is probably just fine
3) The balanced output is the preferred output for the GMB

Or did I missinterpret or just plaiin miss something?

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #3,084 of 5,932

Thanks. By the way, how tall are the included rubber feet?

Hey gents, the production amps won't have rubber feet. They will have small semi-circle protrusions that run the length of the amp front to back. There will be two of these. It takes time to stick on feet and they frequently come off.
smile.gif

From my "experience" (ahem), keyed feet of a specific shape and orientation usually signals some intention to mate it with another complementary and matching component.  I wonder what would constitute such a thing?  Wait, did I just say that out loud?  
wink.gif
  TREASEL!  
biggrin.gif

- Violectric V200 (does it sound vaginal?)

LOL!  
biggrin.gif

The moral of the story:  phase splitter isn't as almighty as I made it out to be, but it's still good.

And thus, the DAC-finding thread is re-ignited!

Aww, Sensei @warrenpchi would be so proud of me right now!  
biggrin.gif

You have done well grasshopper!  
smile.gif

Great advice. And I wish it was something easy to do. I live in Central America. 

Is California easier?  We're only days away from announcing anyway, but if you promise to keep it in this thread and no further until this coming Saturday...

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #3,085 of 5,932

Is California easier?  We're only days away from announcing anyway, but if you promise to keep it in this thread and no further until this coming Saturday...

Unfortunately, it's not. It is a complete PITA to try to get out of here, not to mention super expensive. Though I salivate at the thought of it.

I'm probably better finding a reasonable consensus, spending a bunch of money and having something amazing (even though I would not know it is amazing via comparison, like I would if I made it to a Canjam. Well, I'd know if it sounds better than what I have now.  
happy_face1.gif

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #3,086 of 5,932
@Stillhart
 am I mistaken, or does your evidence of the GMB single ended vs the Dac-19 single ended vs the Theta balanced vs single ended vs the GMB balanced vs single ended really point out that the SE implimentation on the GMB is the weakest of the above, and not so much that the phase splitter on the LC is not so great?

I'm not trying to be cheeky or to bash the SE implimentation on the GMB, but unless I missed something, all the "good" SE implimentations above (Theta SE, Dac-19) went through the phase splitter, along with the "less good" implimentation above, the GMB SE?  The other "good" implimentations were of course the balanced Theta and GMB.

This just seems to show:
1) that not all dac implimentations/circuits/outputs are created equal
2) The phase splitter is probably just fine
3) The balanced output is the preferred output for the GMB

Or did I missinterpret or just plaiin miss something?

That's exactly how I read it as well.

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #3,087 of 5,932

Ignorance IS bliss.......

AND compulsive..."I gots to have something better" (even while not knowing what better is) IS Hell!

At least to the bank account!

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #3,088 of 5,932

I'm probably better finding a reasonable consensus

On that note, I am continually surprised at the feedback on the LC so far.  Hundreds have auditioned under meet conditions, about a dozen have auditioned under loan conditions, and not a single negative impression so far.  That's pretty darned impressive.

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #3,089 of 5,932
On that note, I am continually surprised at the feedback on the LC so far.  Hundreds have auditioned under meet conditions, about a dozen have auditioned under loan conditions, and not a single negative impression so far.  That's pretty darned impressive.

That's what I was eluding to earlier in the thread. Simply not read this on Head-Fi before. Interested to see if users who haven't heard the Liquid Carbon, like myself, have a different opinion after receiving the unit....... Especially after all the hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back