☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Aug 25, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #3,106 of 5,932

Yep, 4-pin Kobiconn is correct.  

Is there any advantage to that connection vs. the standard XLR other than size? It seems like standard XLR is more common on amps, so when I reterminate my headphones I'll probably go with that unless there's an actual advantage to the Kobiconn/ALO/RSA connection.

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #3,107 of 5,932

Is there any advantage to that connection vs. the standard XLR other than size? It seems like standard XLR is more common on amps, so when I reterminate my headphones I'll probably go with that unless there's an actual advantage to the Kobiconn/ALO/RSA connection.

For any full sized headphones, I would go with the 4-pin XLR connector. For any IEMs, it may be a better idea of going with the 4-pin Kobiconn as it is much more transportable in case you have an on-the-go amp with balanced RSA/Kobiconn connector.

Aug 25, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #3,108 of 5,932
Right, the wires are separated with both the connector types, it's just an XLR plug is fat and heavy and would look oddballs on an IEM. I liked Moon Audio's concept where they have a cable with an adapter end, and then you just change the tip depending on what you plug into.

warrenpchi
Yeah, you bet I read (some of) your posts, and laugh about them with my Fiancée (Her name is Christine, Dan's already married :p )

Aug 25, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #3,109 of 5,932
I have the Kobiconn on my full sized headphones and prefer it to the heavy connector often use. Also I see no advantage to using the XLR plug. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #3,110 of 5,932
Only advantage I see is that the XLR is more common the the Kobiconn, the only amp I will (soon) have with the Kobiconn is the LC...
beerchug.gif

Aug 25, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #3,111 of 5,932
  Only advantage I see is that the XLR is more common the the Kobiconn, the only amp I will (soon) have with the Kobiconn is the LC...
beerchug.gif

True. But I have never liked the heavy clunky XLR connectors for headphones. They seem more like a weapon. lol 

Aug 25, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #3,112 of 5,932

You might also see these listed as ALO and/or RSA balanced connector. If my history is correct, I believe Ray Samuels was the first to use this connector for a balanced portable amp and created the standard of how the 4 pins are wired.

Guess that finally answers my question of where the RSA part of the name came from.

beerchug.gif

Same here. Wish there weren't so many balanced connector types but 1 size doesn't fit all especially for portables.

Got all my headphone cables set for TRRS balanced and will use an XLR adapter with the LC. Wanted to get RSA adapters too but extra cost and the LC should work fine with XLR anyway. Will still keep an eye for any trrs to rsa adapters next.

Aug 25, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #3,113 of 5,932

Got all my headphone cables set for TRRS balanced and will use an XLR adapter with the LC. Wanted to get RSA adapters too but extra cost and the LC should work fine with XLR anyway. Will still keep an eye for any trrs to rsa adapters next.

Contact Ted at Headphonelounge. He can make you any adapter you need with high quality OCC cable.

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #3,114 of 5,932
I have Norne Zoetic cable, balanced, ending with the RSA connector, and adaptors that plug into it to connect to a balanced Pono and for single ended (for a HEK). I certainly wouldn't want anything heavier/bulkier than this!

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #3,115 of 5,932

Sometimes it is necessary to use a standard XLR connector because of the size of the cable you are using. A larger cable may not fit into the RSA connector. I would think you might also get a more solid connection with the XLR connector.

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #3,116 of 5,932
Norne cables are excellent and the service that Trevor provides is really unmatched.  I have a Norne Zoetic cable and if I were ever needing to buy another cable, Norne would be the place I would go to.

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #3,117 of 5,932
Trevor at Norne also makes a nice set of adapters for such purposes. I have a 4-pin XLR to 2.5mm TRRS adapter that allows me to play my K10's balanced through my Pulse Infinity and that I'll also be using on the LC. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #3,118 of 5,932

Guess that finally answers my question of where the RSA part of the name came from.

Yes Ray came up with this a few years back. It was criticized as cheap and wouldn't last. It holds up to much use and I have never had a Kobiconn connector fail and they wear fantastic. 

I have my TWau by Whiplash terminated with the Kobiconn so I can go balanced from it or use and adapter to whatever connector I want and the Whiplash cable I have is the modular, which is a Kobiconn at the Y so you don't have to buy anything but just the Y to the headphones in the future. A great system Craig came up with. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #3,120 of 5,932
If you do decide to go RSA, Norne makes one of their nifty adapters to allow the RSA to connect to a 4-pin XLR to keep it balanced.

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_91&product_id=100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back