☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ The Liquid Carbon Upgrade Guide & Impressions Tour
May 13, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #406 of 423
  Very curious what you are considering as I am thinking of what my next purchase will be, @Xmas time, and would love to step up my DAC after I get my LC and give it a month or two with the nano iDSD as the DAC. Been considering Audio-GD 19, PS Audio Nuwave  or Hegel HD12 as I want balanced connections going forward. 

I would not be super hung up on having to have a balanced DAC.  Good sounding DACs come in both balanced and RCA.  I'm 99% sure I'm getting a Metrum Musette to go with mine, and it isn't.  I'm totally happy with the LC's phase splitter, so I don't worry about a DAC's output configuration.

May 13, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #407 of 423

I would not be super hung up on having to have a balanced DAC.  Good sounding DACs come in both balanced and RCA.  I'm 99% sure I'm getting a Metrum Musette to go with mine, and it isn't.  I'm totally happy with the LC's phase splitter, so I don't worry about a DAC's output configuration.

...and if you ever decide to upgrade to the Crimson, Glass, Gold or Tungsten, you're set too.  Crimson, Glass and Tungsten are all SE and Gold has a phase splitter as well.

May 13, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #409 of 423
May 13, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #410 of 423
  Is it heresy to use, for instance, the Liquid Crimson with the Chord Mojo?

Not if you don't tell anyone about it.  
tongue.gif

Seriously tho, the Mojo is one of the best DAC's you can get for the price, portable or not.  There's no shame in using it in your desktop system.  At some point you'll probably want to move up, but there's no rush.  If it sounds good, it is good.

May 13, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #412 of 423
It's odd, if the Mojo was locked in a massive shiny (or matte :p) metal box with balanced, RCA outputs and marketed as such, people would buy it up for a 1000$, I'm sure! But if I eventually get a Crimson or Gold and put that little thing next to it, it looks ridiculous. But the bottom line was already said, if it sounds good, who cares about the outlook of your desktop rig?

May 13, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #413 of 423

Thanks I probably misstated my intentions. I would like one to have the possibility of going balanced should anything change in my desktop setup, not need one. My main need is the form factor being really close to the LC. I've bought and sold enough stuff to realize the loss of not thinking things thru especially with 1K purchases. I'll be listening to it for a couple months SE thru the nano iDSD as that's my current desktop solution and if I like SE I'll stay that way. I'm really liking the PS Audio Nuwave DSD at the moment, seems to cover all bases with ability to support the future should I decide to get DSD music. Thanks again

May 13, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #415 of 423
Yeah, in my previous comment I meant aesthetically, the pairing of like Liquid Gold and Mojo..that's strange somewhat. Liquid Carbon, on the other, looks just fine with the Mojo. As a point of fact, that's gonnabe my next purchase...some Mojo for my Carbon.

May 13, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #416 of 423
Mojo and LAu work great together! I use a 3.5mm to dual 3-pin XLR cable or a 3.5mm to RCA. Size is a wee bit different though between the Chord and Cavalli!

May 14, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #418 of 423
Sounds like Austin Powers Goldmember movie!

May 17, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #419 of 423
Good price on a used Cavalli Liquid Gold if anyone is looking for one.  Cheaper that what I paid for a used one about a month ago - and I could have picked this one up in person.  
confused_face.gif

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/amplifiers-cavalli-liquid-gold-9w-balanced-headphone-amplifier-2016-05-17-headphones-08080-sewell-nj

Jun 12, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #420 of 423
  Let the classic rock mix roll in the background for a good part of the afternoon. A couple quick thoughts:

1.) I love the musicality from the Liquid Glass. This is probably the most musical Cavalli amp in the current lineup, IMO.

2.) Not as transparent as the LAu and a bit less spacious, but not anything to complain about - it's still very, very good in those regards.

3.) I can see why Warren calls this one his favorite, it is a heck of a lot of fun. I don't want to stop listening!

4.) Great sense of weight to the instruments. Pianos especially have a lovely sense of body. Connects on an emotional level.

5.) Great sense of liquidity and ease on big orchestral parts. The instruments just flow in like water. Love this! It's so easy!

6.) Lovely organic vocals. Harmonies are distinctly separated and just bursting with emotion. 

7.) Great sense of punch/impact. EDM sounds great on here. 

8.) Gobs of funk and soul.

9.) Very smooth with the HD800. No harshness issues at all.

10.) Highlights so far are pretty varied: Fleetwood Mac, Fiona Apple, Deadmau5, Daft Punk, Sting, Aerosmith, Rush, Hans Zimmer, Steve Winwood - it's showing a good bit of versatility. 

Those are just my quick thoughts out of the gate, but I have a feeling the next two weeks are going to be a lot of fun with tube rolling, more DAC pairings, etc.

All my observations so far were with the following chain: Macbook running Amarra for Tidal > Chord Mojo > Liquid Glass > HD800.  Tubes were the Electro Harmonix 6SN7EH tube that were in the unit when it arrived.

Quote:
Yes a most satisfying thump, makes my bass monkey pur like a cat.

A little surprised here. With the stock tubes EH6SN7, I find my LC has better bass slam than the LG (Using the Omni/Code-X). Those tubes are said to sound just very plain and analytical and sometimes even a little bright.

I was surprised how much better my Glass is over the Crimson and. I was further shocked at how much better the Liquid Gold was over the Liquid Glass. However I am sure one can find a set of tubes, for the LG, so it sounds as good as the L LAU. But the L LAU made the HD800 sound superb. The L Glass did a bang up job driving the HD800. However the L Lau just takes the HD800 to another level of audio bliss.
biggrin.gif

Which tubes make your LG sound better than the Crimson? I've been considering the Crimson as well, due to ease of use (not having to tube roll), but if it's clearly inferior, then it's a no go for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back