☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run!
Feb 1, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #1,171 of 1,260
  I use it daily with the HD800 and it's a great pairing.  In fact, I can honestly say that I didn't like the HD800 until I heard it on a Liquid Carbon.  

I used to own an HD650 and when I tested it with the Liquid Carbon (and balanced cable) before selling it, it paired very well.

Did you get a chance to try the new MrSpeakers ÆON's with the Liquid Spark? Just pre-ordered both, looking forward to them as my new mobile setup
BTW very nice review on the ÆON's

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #1,172 of 1,260
Particularly for HD800, I think sennheiser's own HDVA600 drives these phones much better than the Liquid Carbon 2.0 and it is expected to do so considering the price difference. I have seen the lowered price of a few second hand HDVA600 nowadays around 1000usd and I do believe it is an option worthy to check.

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #1,173 of 1,260

Did you get a chance to try the new MrSpeakers ÆON's with the Liquid Spark? Just pre-ordered both, looking forward to them as my new mobile setup
BTW very nice review on the ÆON's

Thanks!  Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to try them with the Spark.  I know @warrenpchi has been jamming to the combo for a few days and really likes it.  And I know Dan Clark has done testing with it and liked it.  But you know... they may not be the most unbiased sources to ask about the pairing.  
biggrin.gif

Fortunately, both will be at Canjam in a few days so there should be plenty of feedback floating around soon.

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #1,174 of 1,260
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet...
biggrin.gif

I like both the HD800 and the Cavalli Liquid Carbon together. However, you said the QC15 were bright at times, have you listened to the HD800? Some find the treble peak annoying. I personally don't have a problem with this, but I thought I would mention it to you so you are aware.

Yeah, my bank account is already anticipating the damage... but I'm worried what my wife will thing of all this...

About the HD800, I haven't listened it yet, but I'll try to find a place near me to do it. Does anyone know where I can find it near Mountain View/ San Jose CA? I imagine just specialized stores, right (no best buys, etc...)? 

But since you raised this point, based on reviews only, I'm more inclined to buy the HD650 for its warmer sound. But I also wanted to try it hopefully at the same time to do some comparisons.

Great to hear that the Cavalli goes well with it though, since most likely I won't be able to try it 

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #1,175 of 1,260
Best Buy does carry Sennheiser might give them a call.

If you google "headphone in San Jose" there are a few stores that come up like World of stereo in San Jose, and Audio High in Mountain View.

I have no idea if they are good shops or not, rated high on Yelp though. and it looks like they carry Sennheiser, also.

Maybe some of the So-Cal guys will chime in to help out??

Yeah, my bank account is already anticipating the damage... but I'm worried what my wife will thing of all this...

About the HD800, I haven't listened it yet, but I'll try to find a place near me to do it. Does anyone know where I can find it near Mountain View/ San Jose CA? I imagine just specialized stores, right (no best buys, etc...)? 

But since you raised this point, based on reviews only, I'm more inclined to buy the HD650 for its warmer sound. But I also wanted to try it hopefully at the same time to do some comparisons.

Great to hear that the Cavalli goes well with it though, since most likely I won't be able to try it 

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #1,176 of 1,260
Shoot, Mountain View is near San Francisco, shopping for headphones in the city would be a great day too. I would say that for me personally the HD600/650 need a great amp like the LC to sound great. With lesser amps kinda meh. And I would not recommend buying the 800's without an audition. I just can't handle the treble on those. But if any amp could tame them it is probably the LC. The LC is an interesting amp, it scales up wonderfully but might seem unimpressive with lesser cans. Meanwhile the HD 600/650 is very similar but in a headphone.
We all have limitations on what we get to experience. With my TH-X00's and Meze 99's I didn't really get the beauty of my LC. But when I got my Ether Flows well, I was gobsmacked!

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #1,177 of 1,260
Thanks for all the help guys, lots of great tips on the replies. For an outsider, even the most basic help like googling good stores nearby sometimes is a challenge.

Tomorrow will shop for cans, initially nearby (thanks for the stores suggestions @bearFNF), if not will take the caltrain to San Francisco... any other great pair I should consider apart from the Senns? I know there's a ton of great options, but since I'll go out for some auditions I can try out others too.

Seems that LC will be a great pair no matter what. Thinks I'll be joining the club soon :)

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #1,178 of 1,260
  Thanks for all the help guys, lots of great tips on the replies. For an outsider, even the most basic help like googling good stores nearby sometimes is a challenge.

Tomorrow will shop for cans, initially nearby (thanks for the stores suggestions @bearFNF), if not will take the caltrain to San Francisco... any other great pair I should consider apart from the Senns? I know there's a ton of great options, but since I'll go out for some auditions I can try out others too.

Seems that LC will be a great pair no matter what. Thinks I'll be joining the club soon :)

Oppo headquarters is in Mountain View and I believe they have demos of all their gear there.  You might try giving them a ring.  

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #1,181 of 1,260

AudioVision on California St in SF has a good selection of headphones (http://www.audiovisionsf.com/?page=headphones) but not Senn. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #1,182 of 1,260
Hello :slight_smile: All! Warren & I were trying to determine today how much available Carbon & Gold inventory exists as of now. Well as it turns out almost none. Maybe 10 Carbons and a very iffy maybe 1 Gold. Other than that there are a couple "Demo" units of each. Those that may have been into owning any of these it's time otherwise only used products will be available. Where? The Source AV @TSAVJason or Music To My Ear @MTME

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Feb 8, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #1,183 of 1,260
Hello :slight_smile: All! Warren & I were trying to determine today how much available Carbon & Gold inventory exists as of now. Well as it turns out almost none. Maybe 10 Carbons and a very iffy maybe 1 Gold. Other than that there are a couple "Demo" units of each. Those that may have been into owning any of these it's time otherwise only used products will be available. Where? The Source AV @TSAVJason or Music To My Ear @MTME

@MTMECraig to be exact :wink:, but yes Jason is correct about what levels we currently have.

Feb 13, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #1,184 of 1,260
  Got my license too.  Installed it on Windows 10 but it's taking quite a bit of time for art work to populate and while it's populating my library, response to mouse clicks is painfully slow.  Sounds fine though.

Day 2: I've had the app open for over 8 hours and all the artwork still hasn't populated.  Trying to scroll through my library is worse that slow motion.  No response at first, then it just appears 5 pages down.  Difficult at best to get an album to display all tracks before it starts play for the entire album.   I will give this one more try.  I'll uninstall and reinstall this for Windows but if the the same result is obtained then it's pretty much useless.  I also own JRiver and when I double click on the Amarra icon from my desktop, JRiver opens three times in different windows.  Weird to say the least!

We are working on improving the performance on both Mac and Windows and very sorry for the long delays with larger libraries.  We expect to have a new build available very shortly that addresses many of the items reported here and in other forums.

Regarding JRIver launching, we ran into the same thing, from our FAQ:
Q) JRiver Media Center launches every time I launch Amarra 4, how do I stop this?

A) This is an issue with JRiver being set as the default ASIO Driver.  You can turn MCs ASIO driver off under Options-> General -> Features, deselect ASIO Driver.  This should stop any such behavior.  As long as the ASIO driver is enabled, it'll cause MC to load once any application starts requesting things from the ASIO driver. It may not even be triggered by you directly, some applications probe the ASIO drivers rather aggressively.

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #1,185 of 1,260

We are working on improving the performance on both Mac and Windows and very sorry for the long delays with larger libraries.  We expect to have a new build available very shortly that addresses many of the items reported here and in other forums.

Regarding JRIver launching, we ran into the same thing, from our FAQ:
Q) JRiver Media Center launches every time I launch Amarra 4, how do I stop this?

A) This is an issue with JRiver being set as the default ASIO Driver.  You can turn MCs ASIO driver off under Options-> General -> Features, deselect ASIO Driver.  This should stop any such behavior.  As long as the ASIO driver is enabled, it'll cause MC to load once any application starts requesting things from the ASIO driver. It may not even be triggered by you directly, some applications probe the ASIO drivers rather aggressively.

Thank you, much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back