“Beats by Dr. Dre”
Dec 1, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #346 of 634
Here is the thing, I listen to more then one Genre of music I don't listen to orchestral/acoustic/jazz. I use my current headphones Beyerdyanamics, for more then just Music. I listen to Hardcore Metal, Pop, R&B, Alternative, Spoken Poems, Reggae, Happy hardcore and I use them for watching Tv shows and gaming this is a *true* all round headphone in my humble opinion based on my experience.

Curry's didn't demo these headphones on just the proprietary sound setup of the Dre. Dre Beats, they allowed me to test them on a DJ setup which is amped like I said using my own playlist from CD to compare to my own headphones, and they where on par.

Also like I said in my previous post some of the musical instruments when using the Sennheisers HD555-HD600 where absent from playback, they weren't there. Guitars overpowering the Bass Guitar and the sound was too soft like it was anaemic with natural bass. The only times I've ever experienced this is when I had £15 headphones made by Plantronics mainly for gaming. The only time I realised there was something missing from playback was when I upgraded to the Beyerdynamics and saw a massive improvement in sound quality and reproduction and all those sounds that where in those songs I could hear for the first time with Bass that didn't sound too overpowering. With Sennheisers it was like going backwards with sound reproduction, those issues with the Plantronics where back.

I notice a lot of people quote the frequency response a lot but I find this to be moot generally speaking. Because if it is so meaningful, please explain why on the song He Is Legend - The Seduction or SikTh - When Will the Forest Speak...? (poem) Slipknot 9.0 (live album) the reproduction sounds washed out like it was soaked and all that was good about the song is clean and very sterile? up to including missing instruments and sounds from playback with the Sennheisers?

Yet listening to my own headphones and the Beats likewise BOSE and Denon the sounds and instruments where all present which is important to me. I'm almost to conclude it's either brand loyalty, snobbery or both. Because to my ears and my friends they sounded terrible. Reading this thread and seeing many elitist posters mocking others for their purchases on what others deem to be far superior to others when it seems to comes down to personal preference is almost borderline narcissism.

The whole reason I wanted headphones was because speakers where too loud for night gaming. So I researched studio headphones I wanted the same reproduction of surround sound in headphones and closest I got was Beyerdynamics. If I close my eyes and play Slipknots live album I can imagine the stage in front of me with the band playing and it sounds how it would be if I was there, I should know, I've been to enough Slipknot concerts in England. If I do the same with Sennheisers they don't mimic the concert sound.

When I put on the Beats I get similar experience same with all the other songs which is why I say the frequency response that people quote seems to be moot, if they sound correct what does the frequency response matter? The Sennheisers and other headphones have better frequency response, why do these sound better at reproducing the sound then the Sennheisers over a vast array of different genre's? where as the better ones many say have better frequency response like the HD555-HD600 can't reproduce basic Bass Guitar on some of my favourite songs?

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #347 of 634
Every genre you list isn't where the Sennheisers excel, that could be why.
rolleyes.gif

You say you don't listen to orchestral/acoustic/jazz and you expect Sennheiser to still be by far the best?? While HD6x0 phones will do a decent job for any genre, other phones will surely exceed them for rock/metal/pop/r+b/etc. Sennheiser's house sound is very laid back and they like it that way. Your listening preference is on the opposite end of the spectrum. You say they sound terrible, while I say the Beats sound terrible. I've played my viola then listened to a recording of it through my Sennheisers and it sounds almost as if I were still playing it in person.

I'm surprised you like Beyer phones because they are similar to Sennheisers. I'd have pegged you for a Grado fan based on your preferences and your disgust with Sennheisers.

In the end pick what you want, but just realize you are in an extreme minority here and you will catch flak for posting that preference, whether you deserve it or not. It's taking everything I have not to question your hearing, but I'm trying to be civil.

When I heard Beats, Bose QC15, and Denon D2000 I thought they all sounded very similar. They all had almost no highs, recessed mids, and hugely bloated bass, totally unrealistic even being generous.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #348 of 634
I told my boyfriend I would get him headphones for christmas and he listened to these in best buy and fell completely in love with them. the thing is he listens to mostly metal and i'm getting the impression these are best for hip-hop. Should I get these or are there headphones with similar sound quality that would be better for his taste in music? A lower price tag would also be appreciated. I don't know anything about headphones but he used to dj for a radio station so I think he does...

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #349 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by DancerChic88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I told my boyfriend I would get him headphones for christmas and he listened to these in best buy and fell completely in love with them. the thing is he listens to mostly metal and i'm getting the impression these are best for hip-hop. Should I get these or are there headphones with similar sound quality that would be better for his taste in music? A lower price tag would also be appreciated. I don't know anything about headphones but he used to dj for a radio station so I think he does...

Maybe this will help:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/roc...-100-a-458353/

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #351 of 634
I heard it today at the Apple Store and I can understand why people would like them. Noise cancelling is pretty good, but the sound wasn't worth £200-300 (I think it's £280?) I thought as a fashion accessory, they aren't too bad. I'd think the white version would look much better. The sound was rather typical. Lots of midbass, ok mids, and lack of treble. It had a slightly fun sound to it, but again wasn't worth the amount of money.

Dec 18, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #352 of 634
The new sony Extra Bass headphones that can be had for like 40 bucks not only sound nicer than the Beats, but have a nicer bass response and overall sound quality. That should tell you something. I can list dozens of sets all under 100 bucks that absolutely CRUSH Bose and the Beats by a massive, significant! margin.

I wouldn't pay more than 50$ for them. Thankfully, I won my set and didn't have to pay anything. In fact, DRE and beats should pay ME to use them. Thats how craptastic they are

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #353 of 634
ive heard them, and i think theyre pretty good.
do you think the Ultrasone HFI-780 or the Denon AHD1001S would be a better buy than these? or are the beats better?

Feb 16, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #354 of 634
Feb 16, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #355 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every genre you list isn't where the Sennheisers excel, that could be why.
rolleyes.gif

You say you don't listen to orchestral/acoustic/jazz and you expect Sennheiser to still be by far the best?? While HD6x0 phones will do a decent job for any genre, other phones will surely exceed them for rock/metal/pop/r+b/etc. Sennheiser's house sound is very laid back and they like it that way. Your listening preference is on the opposite end of the spectrum. You say they sound terrible, while I say the Beats sound terrible. I've played my viola then listened to a recording of it through my Sennheisers and it sounds almost as if I were still playing it in person.

I'm surprised you like Beyer phones because they are similar to Sennheisers. I'd have pegged you for a Grado fan based on your preferences and your disgust with Sennheisers.

In the end pick what you want, but just realize you are in an extreme minority here and you will catch flak for posting that preference, whether you deserve it or not. It's taking everything I have not to question your hearing, but I'm trying to be civil.

When I heard Beats, Bose QC15, and Denon D2000 I thought they all sounded very similar. They all had almost no highs, recessed mids, and hugely bloated bass, totally unrealistic even being generous.

I suspect that a lot of what is being discussed here in terms of the characteristics of the Beats by Dre sound, are unit to unit variance. I've listened to literally hundreds of pairs of Beats and the good ones are truly good. There is no bass bloat, the highs are very nicely balanced with the rest of the spectrum, there is no mid bass coloration, etc. So, listen to the pair you're going to buy before you buy them (or buy with return privileges) . If they sound good, you've got a good pair. If they don't sound good, well, move on to another pair.

Happy listening!

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #357 of 634
I have wanted to listen to the beats from the moment I first saw them as I am a hip hop fan a bass fan and a dre fan. I saw the reviews on here and took it with a pinch of salt because of the aparent hate on here for monster, hip hop and unbalanced sound signature but I wanted to decide for myself. I finally got to listen to these today and they are average at best. Don't sound particularly good for hip hop and the bass isn't even in the same league as my ie8. I was expecting a fun sound but they were a nothing headphone not fun yet not balanced and detailed. Next is the fit and finish, I loved them in the pics by in real life they feel cheap and look even cheaper and they don't look like they will last long at all. Also the fact they run on batterys and the noise canceling is almost non existant mean I will be giving these a miss for sure.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #358 of 634
These headphones seem like more "flashynes" than substance. The cool looks are sure to turn some heads. When I listened to them in best buy, the bass seemed to overpower everything. This could be good for hip-hip people that have no knowledge of a detailed sound.

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #359 of 634
I got the chance to listen to these out of my own source and A/B them to an extent with my normal portable headphones, the AKG K81DJ's. Outside of the ANC and admittedly flashy looks, there wasn't a single thing that they did better than the AKG's. My AKG's are known to be pretty bassy themselves, but the bass out of the Beats was farty yet almost hollow sounding. Not appealing at all. The midrange was missing on the Beats for me. Norah Jones sounded distant and tired, the violins and cellos in some of my test music sounded thin and lifeless. I felt bad because I made a terrible face almost as soon as I hit play and the guy who let me borrow them was SUPER excited about them. I let him try my AKG's and he immediately acknowledged that they sounded better (I said nothing up to that point, just offered a headphone swap for a listen). He is still happy, though because of the way the Beats look.

I gave them as honest a shot as I could. I think they are horrible for the price. I am not sure at which price point I would find them acceptable, as I have heard some $35 headphones that have a much more enjoyable sound. I guess their sound signature just isn't my favorite, period.

And just as an aside, I listen to hip hop from time to time, and I definitely still want to hear well produced music accurately represented by my headphones. A strong bass beat is definitely crucial, but not at the expense of everything else.

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #360 of 634
These headphones are waaaaay overpriced. Flimsy construction quality as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back