“Beats by Dr. Dre”
Jul 25, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #92 of 634
well i can't wait to get there tomorrow and test those babies out. I'm pretty sure i'll be disappointed but i hope i can connect it to my pico amp and blast 2001 by Dr. Dre in lossless
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #94 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. The people who buy this would prefer Darth Beyers.

Not just the Darth Beyers but also the Proline or the Denon lines of headphones.

However, the people this headphone is trying to appeal are not the typical head-fiers as Jude has noted. This headphone targets those hipster wannabes who want to look cool with expensive headphones. Exactly the same target audience as the Skull Candys.

If I EVER see anyone considering this headphone at a Best Buy store I would probably go and suggest them (better) alternatives.

EDIT: I'd also like to note this headphones would help bring the mainstream into the world of head-fi. While people who own the Dre headphones will rave about how good they are, there will always be at least one person who knows better than that. These people can show others the alternatives and that there are actually good inexpensive headphones out there ($50-150)

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #95 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by thedauntlessone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not just the Darth Beyers but also the Proline or the Denon lines of headphones.

However, the people this headphone is trying to appeal are not the typical head-fiers as Jude has noted. This headphone targets those hipster wannabes who want to look cool with expensive headphones. Exactly the same target audience as the Skull Candys.

If I EVER see anyone considering this headphone at a Best Buy store I would probably go and suggest them (better) alternatives.

EDIT: I'd also like to note this headphones would help bring the mainstream into the world of head-fi. While people who own the Dre headphones will rave about how good they are, there will always be at least one person who knows better than that. These people can show others the alternatives and that there are actually good inexpensive headphones out there ($50-150)

I don't think it's fair to assume there are better alternatives before even hearing it. It is Monster and noise cancelling, but there's always the possibility.

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #96 of 634
fdafdafdafdafdsafdfdafdwv8.jpg

HAHAHAHAhaHaHHAHA

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #98 of 634
im currently sitting outside the apple store after listening to those things they want to call headphones. Im sorry dr. dre but they make ur music sound like crap. i tried first listening thru imod and pico and than just through the ipod. listened to some dre followed my some soad just to c how they would do rock. dre sounded bad but i cannot even imagine listening to rock through them.

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #99 of 634
to me, they look like redesigned BOSE triports.

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #101 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its sad to see a magazine i respect make a complete fool of themselves.

He still got something right tho... "...whereas with the Bose 'phones, the sound was flat and muted."

biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #102 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He still got something right tho... "...whereas with the Bose 'phones, the sound was flat and muted."

biggrin.gif

Small concession. Someone should send this guy an invitation to one the meets. he would be kicking himself for writing that article.

Jul 25, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #104 of 634
Since the only two retailers selling these right now are selling them at MSRP, we know that there are some excellent headphones that can be had at or below that price.

That being said, I haven't checked the inventory of headphones at a Best Buy or Apple Store (physical locations), but I wouldn't be surprised if The Beats is the best headphone you can demo or buy at those stores--and think of the massive number of people those stores reach. There are any number of things we can say, but it took a Monster to get a good headphone this broadly distributed. Is there better for the price? Of course, and we Head-Fi'ers know that. But we're talking about headphones that you don't walk into Best Buy or the Apple Store and get to hear. And we're also talking about headphones that don't come with a cool--and it is cool--iPhone compatible microphone cable that turns your headphone into a wired mobile headset, which definitely has mass market appeal (we are a mobile-phone-crazy world).

They're really nice looking headphones, too. And, again, they're distinctive enough to make it clear that you're wearing The Beats. And fashion goes a long way outside of Head-Fi.org, folks.

Here's my point: When they hear it, I think The Beats will be the best headphone that a lot of people--and I mean a lot of people--have ever heard. (I'm obviously talking about people who have never visited Head-Fi.org.) I also think that The Beats is good enough to get people realizing that you can do a whole heck of a lot better than what those bunches of people have been exposed to so far, and that's a good thing. Some of these people will come here as a result, and will be sorry about their wallets when they realize $350.00 might just be the beginning for them.

Again, it's at Best Buy and Apple Store now. I don't know how their demos are set up (if you can use your own source device or not). If the demos are set up well--and especially if you can use your own source device, or at least your own music--I think you should give it a listen, and I think a lot of you will get why I'm saying the things I'm saying (again, assuming the demo setups aren't seriously compromised).

Jul 25, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #105 of 634
it's pretty much a given that these will be the best sounding headphones available from bestbuy or the apple store. atleast it'll be true for bestbuy because they only carry high end shure's online.

and yes this may open the eyes of people to there being headphones out there that sound better than bose. but what will most likely happen imho is that they'll just replace the bose with the Beats as the headphones to get in their minds, instead of researching and finding out about what's actually available.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back