Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 14, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #4,546 of 4,690
  Hi everyone, first post here.

I'd like to make an investment and get my first pair of decent IEMs. I've been looking at a few different options such as Yamaha EPH-100, RHA MA750, Shure SE215, 1More Triple Driver and KEF M200. I like good isolation and less sound leakage, price range is about £100 ($125 or so) but I am willing to spend more if it's worth it.

I absolutely love the design and everything I've read about the Yamaha EPH-100. My only concern is that some people are reporting that they just die after a while due to moisture issues. Is it really risky and should I absolutely stay away from them? I'm planning to get them through Audio Affair UK and they offer a 2-year warranty (even though under product features it says 1 year, everywhere else it says 2 years) so if I can use them for 2 years my purchase would be justified.

Alternatively, do you have any other suggestions?

Given that they are still in demand, I don't think you should stay away from them.

I bought my 2nd pair a month or so ago, after using my first pair for nearly 3,5 years. They didn't break btw, but were in a bag that was lost/stolen.

So if you love the design and the reviews, it's up to you if you want to "risk" it. You have to figure that because there were some problems with some of the items, is that really representative of the quality? My guess is that the minority of unlucky people to have had their earphones break on them are vocal about it (as they should), so it might skew the perspective a little. Others have used and still use them for many years.

Obviously I can't look into your wallet, but for the price Audio Affair is asking I'd say it's a reasonable deal, especially with warranty being offered. There's also someone selling them for €60,00 on the sale/trade forum, but I have no idea about the condition and if they're genuine.

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #4,547 of 4,690

Given that they are still in demand, I don't think you should stay away from them.

I bought my 2nd pair a month or so ago, after using my first pair for nearly 3,5 years. They didn't break btw, but were in a bag that was lost/stolen.

So if you love the design and the reviews, it's up to you if you want to "risk" it. You have to figure that because there were some problems with some of the items, is that really representative of the quality? My guess is that the minority of unlucky people to have had their earphones break on them are vocal about it (as they should), so it might skew the perspective a little. Others have used and still use them for many years.

Obviously I can't look into your wallet, but for the price Audio Affair is asking I'd say it's a reasonable deal, especially with warranty being offered. There's also someone selling them for €60,00 on the sale/trade forum, but I have no idea about the condition and if they're genuine.

Thanks a lot for your reply! That's encouraging as I really want to give them a go. And I definitely agree that people are more likely to be vocal about it if they've had a faulty pair.

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #4,550 of 4,690
I had issues with fit due to the larger than typical diameter of the nozzle. I tried all the included tips and bought others, however could never really get a decent fit, which is a shame as I loved the sound. I hope this isn't the case for you but I've come across this as being an issue frequently. I think I have smaller than typical ears.....

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #4,551 of 4,690
I have just got a pair of Eph-100 this is week after my IE80 broke.  I really like the Eph-100 as it gives me the best fit and isolation I have had with IEM, I found other IEM's like IE80,GR07 where I had problems with fit and seal. 

The only problem I have with these is the Treble Highs, I find it to be too high, I have to reduce the 16K nob on my Equalizer or most music all I hear is this anoying hissssss and its worse with Trance and Rock.  At the moment I am going to use it for a week or two to see if I like them enough and can get use to the high treble bump, if not will think about geting something else :frowning2:

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #4,552 of 4,690
There are a couple of peaks in the treble that can make some instruments like cymbals feel "weird/metallic" and a bit agressive.
EQ is going to be your friend there, but the rest of the spectrum is otherwise good.

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #4,553 of 4,690
  I have just got a pair of Eph-100 this is week after my IE80 broke.  I really like the Eph-100 as it gives me the best fit and isolation I have had with IEM, I found other IEM's like IE80,GR07 where I had problems with fit and seal. 

The only problem I have with these is the Treble Highs, I find it to be too high, I have to reduce the 16K nob on my Equalizer or most music all I hear is this anoying hissssss and its worse with Trance and Rock.  At the moment I am going to use it for a week or two to see if I like them enough and can get use to the high treble bump, if not will think about geting something else :frowning2:

You may want to try this treble dampening eartips:

OSTRY OS100 / OS200 / OS300
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OSTRY-OS100-OS200-OS300-Earphone-Turning-Tips-for-OSTRY-Hifi-earphones-KC06A-KC06-And-catheter-diameter/32668945479.html?spm=2114.01010208.8.65.VIHh2f

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #4,554 of 4,690
Thanks all for the tips and Suggestions.

I think I am going to keep them. I have played around with the EQ and got the best sound, I love the bold sound of these, the bass is powerful but not overpowering. And the sound is still great with high volume.

But un-equalized the sound is for me horrible here is a screenshot of my EQ settings on my Galaxy Note 5. For me the sound is near perfect, better then I had with the Ie80.

Apr 7, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #4,555 of 4,690

I never heard other EPH-100 than mine...

My unit is the one tested here: http://en.goldenears.net/8861
(I bought it from a head-fier here that send his unit for this test)

My unit treble  does not peaking high... in fact roll off to early that it does not show enough "air"...

Try burn it in... it is dynamic micro driver based.. which in my experience need a long time to break in...
If it was not use for a long time, the first few hours I used it again usually also need me to run a short few hours breaking it again... 
Probably due to micro driver that tent to be very stiff (due to the small size...)

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #4,556 of 4,690
Has anyone found any good replacement tips? Tips that fit closest to the stock tips?

May 30, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #4,558 of 4,690
Has anyone found any good replacement tips? Tips that fit closest to the stock tips?

There are no replacement tips for the EPH-100 due to the nozzle size.

got a pair that has no sound on both sides. any suggestion??

Get them replaced under warranty.

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #4,560 of 4,690
Interesting news item- idk if this is going to be manufactured but saw this EPH-100 with wht looks like MMCX cables on a Japanese blog: http://head-bank.com/potafes-2017-summer/

In the YAMAHA booth, the top model of the dynamic earphone's famous machine "EPH - 100" was exhibited as a reference.

It seems that EPH - 100 was good for re - cable & high resolution, as it is good, I felt that the fan is becoming a product that pleases.

The sound also EPH - 100 's crispy bass' bass has not changed, and the impression that it became clearer further in wide. This is going to be a popular model again.

IMG_5568-1024x683.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back